Just Joined the Navy and kinda confused

Flash90

I joined the navy and I agreed to a four year contract. The rate I choose was aviation botswain mate and Im confused to actually what Im doing, so Im asking to those what is the job is like and what to expect and also any and all advice

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I joined the navy and I agreed to a four year contract. The rate I choose was aviation botswain mate and Im confused to actually what Im doing, so Im asking to those what is the job is like and what to expect and also any and all advice
Flash90..I served in the USN for 20 years. I served on 5 carriers as well as shore stations.

There are three separate rates of ABs. Aviation Boatswain H (handling) mates work on the flight deck and hangar deck of aircraft carriers. They direct and spot(park) aircraft. And man flight deck firefighting equipment. Aviation Boatswain E(equipment) launch and recover aircraft and perform maintaince on said equipment.Aviation Boatswain mates F (Fuels) fuel aircraft. and maintain pump rooms and fueling equipment. As you can see is a wide an varied field.

In short AB bust ass. Period. On that roof(flight deck) expect to work 12- 18 hours a day when at sea. It's dirty hard physical work.

Here's some links that explain it much better than I.

Aviation Boatswain's Mate - Handling (ABH)

Aviation Boatswain's Mate - Equipment (ABE)

Aviation Boatswain's Mate - Fuels (ABF)

For photos of what sort of ball busting work they do go to the link below.

Navy News Service - Eye on the Fleet

And type in aviation Boatswain Mate in the search box on the top right of the page.

Flash90

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea sounds pretty tough but they didn't give me much choices like the other choices were a yeoman and I believe a storekeeper but I just pick ab cuz honestly I just wanted to be in the navy . I heard they give you an opputunity to change rates during bootcamp is it true?

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Yea sounds pretty tough but they didn't give me much choices like the other choices were a yeoman and I believe a storekeeper but I just pick ab cuz honestly I just wanted to be in the navy . I heard they give you an opputunity to change rates during bootcamp is it true?
Mind you I retired from the USN in '91. So I'm not really sure what the policy is about changing your rate. Trust me things have really changed since I retired. I do keep up with whats going on. Try these links below for USN information.

The first page is just for newbies like you. There's a forum for question like you have. I suggest you talk in depth with your recruiter as often as you can.

Navy - Accelerate Your Life

Navy.mil the Official Web Site of the United States Navy

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There was an excellent PBS documentary called "Carrier", you can still find it on Hulu and several of the people featured were AB's and other members of the deck gang.

When do you leave for boot camp? If you have time go ask your recruiter if you can retake the ASVAB, if so study up and retake it and see if you have some better choices for rates.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
There was an excellent PBS documentary called "Carrier", you can still find it on Hulu and several of the people featured were AB's and other members of the deck gang.
I must second AegisFC, Carrier was an excellent series. It is available on line. Ask your recruiter if he has it available. It is rather long >>> 10 hours.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Not saying this is you but.. The US military is not a place for the shy and timid. Don't be afraid to ask your recruiter questions. Explore those links I gave you. Try to find and old salt(old Sailor) to talk to about the USN.

You are young and joining the very best Navy in the world. Bar none. You are blessed. You have a world of adventure ahead of you..

Check this out. The USS John C Stennis CVN-74 completed a Western Pacific (WESPAC) deployment recently..here's what she did and where she went.

The Stennis is a Nimitz class nuclear powered aircraft carrier.

3Jan2009,
departed Bremerton for a six or seven month deployment to the Western Pacific
13Jan-15Jan2009, EastPac
16Jan2009, San Diego
17Jan-25Jan2009, Pac
26Jan-28Jan2009, off the coast of Oahu, Hawaii
29Jan-16Feb2009, WestPac
17Feb-20Feb2009, Hong Kong
21Feb-26Feb2009, WestPac
27Feb-02Mar2009, Sasebo, Japan
03Mar-10Mar2009, WestPac
11Mar-14Mar2009, Busan, Republic of Korea
15Mar-20Mar2009, Sea of Japan
21Mar-08Apr2009, WestPac
09Apr-12Apr2009, Laem Chabang, Thailand
13Apr-23Apr2009, WestPac
24Apr-27Apr2009, Changi Naval Base, Singapore
28Apr-25May2009, WestPac
26May-27May2009, transited the WestPac to Hawaii
28May-31May2009, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
01Jun-09Jun2009, Pac
10Jun-11Jun2009, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
11Jun-14Jun2009, Pac
15Jun-26Jun2009,
participated in Alaska's premier joint training exercise "Northern Edge 2009" in the Gulf of Alaska
26Jun2009, completed "Northern Edge 2009"
27Jun-29Jun2009, Pac
30Jun-01Jul2009, Everett
01Jul-06Jul2009, Tiger Cruise, en route to San Diego
06Jul2009,
CVW-9 completed 2009 deployment,
CVW-9 flew more than 7,250 sorties and approximately 12,747 flight hours during deployment
06Jul-07Jul2009, San Diego
07Jul-09Jul2009, Tiger Cruise, en route to homeport in Bremerton
10Jul2009, returned to homeport in Bremerton

That could be you sailing away this time next year..:)

Flash90

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks a lot gentlemen for your word of wisdom I'm really pumped for going and I hope to make the best of it in all aspects other than education are there any other aspects I should consider becouse it seems like military personal has a large list of benefits. Are there any that you still use?

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Some time next year I plan on using the VA home loan program. Some companies as well as local, state and federal governments have veterans preference in hiring new people.