Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD

This is a discussion on Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by aussienscale Not really tricky at all, the RAN is pretty familiar with the 9LV and associated equipment, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old March 27th, 2013   #91
Banned Member
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussienscale View Post
Not really tricky at all, the RAN is pretty familiar with the 9LV and associated equipment, especially with the superstructure being built here and having Australian specific modifications to the layout of it
Never underestimate what can be lost in translation. What about all those problems with the AWD blocks at Williamstown a few years ago? I remember BAE blamed the spanish drawings. There could be a few issues trying to weld things down which neither Navantia or BAE have done before.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013   #92
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatmarbella View Post
The economy of a country is directed related with the defence expenditure of a country, it is the cause of amount of defence expenditure. So general auxiliar economic info, that are not exceeding in big paragraphs, just general info is related to any defence topic. There is another data generally very used in forums and it is the % of gdp that goes to defence absolutely related to public deficit and fiscal pressure from public debt.

Anyway, how many different small subtopics appear constantly in any thread, related in one way or another. And in my case my economic mentions are replies to previous economic mentions by other, so also there is a margin of text to reply, it is a right.

The moderators normally comment things or warn people before banning anyone.
Well, as a moderator can we consider the matter done with from this point on, please? If you two wish to privately discuss Spain's economy, feel free, but for the purposes of this thread getting back on topic would be appreciated. Cheers mate.
Bonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013   #93
Private First Class
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I remember BAE blamed the spanish drawings.
And I remember that BAE finally acepted that they messed up and it was their own fault.

Last edited by Jhom; March 27th, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Jhom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013   #94
Banned Member
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhom View Post
And I remember that BAE finally acepted that they messed up and it was their own fault.
exactly, and there could easily be similar problems with canberra
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013   #95
Private First Class
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
exactly, and there could easily be similar problems with canberra
Totally missinterpreted you, my fault.

How could that be? the task in hand is easier than the AWDs, but they can always fall into the easiest of mistakes, using inches instead of centimeters :P
Jhom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013   #96
Defense Professional / Analyst
General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Totally missinterpreted you, my fault.

How could that be? the task in hand is easier than the AWDs, but they can always fall into the easiest of mistakes, using inches instead of centimeters :P
The issue was an inexperienced work force, recruited and trained at the last minute to do one of the most complex parts of the job following the original contractor being eliminated due to unforeseen financial issues. Bar are now out performing other contractors now their team is up to speed. The blame for the issues encountered can be laid firmly at the feet of successive Australian governments and their inconsistent procurement.
Volkodav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013   #97
Major General
Threads:
Quote:
I know others have said it but ...... bloody brilliant, thanks
alexsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013   #98
Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AegisFC View Post
I love hearing stories like this. My first destroyer had 55 cents placed under the mast as well as the namesakes rank pins.

Sorry to post in the open thread, but it's not letting me PM you (I'm guessing I can't as a private still). My second ship was LASSEN where I was the FCO from 2008-2010, so I've gotten the fun times at Dahlgren. You might run into some of my former FCs there, as well.
Blackshoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013   #99
Major General
Threads:
[quote=Ozymandias;261146]http://i.imgur.com/t28nCTQ.jpg
ASSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013
ASSAIL
This message has been deleted by AegisFC. Reason: Dup
Old June 12th, 2013   #100
Defense Enthusiast
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:
I saw this and it struck my interest re the Osprey. I'm wondering if our LHD can bounce 60,000lbs on the deck or would we need to mod a section of it?
The USMC has a good development plan for the v-22 kit and some of it may fit into our future CONOPS
UPDATE 1-Bell, Boeing to get order for 99 more V-22 Ospreys | Reuters
International interest in the new aircraft also remained high, Masiello said, noting that the U.S. government had provided briefings to Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Italy, Brazil, Colombia, Singapore and Australia.
Air Vice-Marshal Osley, 2012 : Air Power Australia made several errors of fact and misrepresentations about F-35 capability..their analysis is basically flawed through incorrect assumptions and lack of knowledge..
jack412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013   #101
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack412 View Post
I
International interest in the new aircraft also remained high, Masiello said, noting that the U.S. government had provided briefings to Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Italy, Brazil, Colombia, Singapore and Australia.
Thatís interesting; I believe Osprey can fill niche role for the ADF it would have been more of a direct replacement for DHC-4 Caribou but thatís been decided with C27J, yet we canít afford a Squadrons worth of CH-47F but people are looking at V-22 Osprey I find it very illogical The AUD$ 513.5 million contract will buy 7 CH-47F Chinook helicopters, 2 Simulators, and associated spares, or roughly AUD$73 million per copy or by the story for Israel would receive five or six V-22s at an estimated price of $70 million each wonder when you add the support structure how much would they cost or the US buy price of USD$65 million per copy but thatís the deal breaker support costs.

Donít get me wrong they are impressive and would come in handy not only for troop/cargo movements but if the proposed AAR and AEW aircraft were available a compatible refueling probe were fitted onto ARH and MRH it might be a different story.
t68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013   #102
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack412 View Post
I saw this and it struck my interest re the Osprey. I'm wondering if our LHD can bounce 60,000lbs on the deck or would we need to mod a section of it?
The USMC has a good development plan for the v-22 kit and some of it may fit into our future CONOPS
UPDATE 1-Bell, Boeing to get order for 99 more V-22 Ospreys | Reuters
They have one dedicated spot aft for them, not sure if we would ever get any, but would more than likely see US kit operate off them from time to time

Cheers
aussienscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013   #103
Banned Member
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Because i have seen mentions to the Lhd about being just an auxiliary carrier for keeping pilots qualified, or being a terrible aircraft carrier, i post this link to turkish news paper where is clear that turkish have been talking to Navantia for the use of the Lhd with airplanes, F35b. The Lhd is one of the options, so people have to be aware that they are talking officially about that role for the Lhd.
For not underestimatiting Lhd capabilities for airplanes, not just auxiliary and not terrible aircraft role if professionals with deep study of the matter choose it to go to a contest with airplanes.

And the offer is for supporting the amphibious operation also, they talk of 100 trucks or vehicles plus 2 Lcac air cushion amphibious transport, together with the airplanes, so we are talking of compability between them and their operations.

Major Turkish companies bid for country's first aircraft carrier
seatmarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013   #104
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
Threads:
I remember reading that article when it came out, wasn't a fan of it to be honest. They're too happy to label this project an "aircraft carrier" project when it just isn't.

Hell they even got a picture of a USN CVN as the article picture rather than something more appropriate like - I dunno - a picture of the ship they're *actually* going to use as the basis of the design.

Call me picky, but an LHD isn't an aircraft carrier IMO.
RobWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013   #105
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Now that PrŪncipe de Asturias is laid up wonder what the plan is now for Juan Carlos. Will they run her with a few Harriers permanently to try and keep their pilots concurrent or still use the old plan to a degree half the time as an assault ship and the other as a carrier?
t68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: