Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

German Navy

This is a discussion on German Navy within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by swerve They're ASW frigates built for Sea Sparrow, replaced by ESSM. I doubt if they have more ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old June 23rd, 2017   #16
Defense Professional / Analyst
General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
They're ASW frigates built for Sea Sparrow, replaced by ESSM. I doubt if they have more than self-defence length.
That was my initial thought but then I was told the ANZACs, for instance, were fitted with tactical length, leaving SM-2 and VLASROC as options, which got me wondering. I have been trying to find a 20+ year old article that discussed the RAN DDG/FFG replacement options that mentioned the F-123 to see if it has any additional information.
Volkodav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017   #17
Lieutenant General
Threads:
F123 has self-defense length Mk41 Mod 3 to my knowledge, with a Mk220 MLC *.
F124 has tactical length Mk41 Mod 10.

* necessary to fire NSSM in Mk41, transplanted from Mk48. Only Germany, Turkey and Australia used these.

Supposedly USNI's Combat Fleets by Eric Wertheim claims otherwise for F123, giving it a tactical-length Mk41 "Mod 4" (otherwise unknown) with ability to expand the installation to 32 cells.
kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017   #18
General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kato View Post
F123 has self-defense length Mk41 Mod 3 to my knowledge, with a Mk220 MLC *.
F124 has tactical length Mk41 Mod 10.

* necessary to fire NSSM in Mk41, transplanted from Mk48. Only Germany, Turkey and Australia used these.

Supposedly USNI's Combat Fleets by Eric Wertheim claims otherwise for F123, giving it a tactical-length Mk41 "Mod 4" (otherwise unknown) with ability to expand the installation to 32 cells.
Thanks for that. I recall reading something years ago that actually broke down the various mod numbers into type / length but haven't been able to find it and can't even remember if it was on a website, in a book or magazine.
Volkodav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017   #19
Lieutenant General
Threads:
According to Flotilla Admiral Reineke, in charge of Navy Planning:
  • "amphibious capability" to be built up jointly with Netherlands by the end of the 2020s
    • "in his opinion" possibly with two "big decks" each operated by either country by then
    • intermediate expanded joint use of Dutch units
  • replacement for mine countermeasures capability with 11 new units by 2026
  • auxiliary replacement projects in planning phase
    • replacement for A704 fleet oilers "underway" (... like it has been for a decade)
    • replacement for A404 tenders for support and supply primarily of corvettes and mine warfare units, possibly also for supporting submarines of other nations
  • Sea Lynx replacement from 2025
  • upgrade of F124 as BMD pickets by 2024

Also, one of the two remaining Class 520 LSM - currently mostly used for logistics - was taken out of service and immediately scrapped this month due to extremely bad state of repair (discovered in a shipyard where she was for regular maintenance). Only two of these - originally 22 - boats built in 1964-66 remain afloat, one in active service and one owned by a naval veteran association.
kato is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: