Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Navy & Maritime

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Future Russian Aircraft Carrier

This is a discussion on Future Russian Aircraft Carrier within the Navy & Maritime forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; I'm highly fluent in Russian, so I will do my best to keep up. But to answer your question.... yes. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 10th, 2010   #76
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
I'm highly fluent in Russian, so I will do my best to keep up. But to answer your question.... yes. It will be very hard to keep track of the refit. Essentially unless some sort of major corruption scandal, or renegotiation with Sevmash takes place, we will be left to assume that the refit is on track. Given our track history here, some delays and overspending, as long as it isn't a complete clusterfuck, should be expected, and I wouldn't even criticize them to harshly. The project is of a scope that Sevmash has not successfully completed in the last 15-20 years.
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010   #77
Major
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
I'm highly fluent in Russian, so I will do my best to keep up. But to answer your question.... yes. It will be very hard to keep track of the refit. Essentially unless some sort of major corruption scandal, or renegotiation with Sevmash takes place, we will be left to assume that the refit is on track. Given our track history here, some delays and overspending, as long as it isn't a complete clusterfuck, should be expected, and I wouldn't even criticize them to harshly. The project is of a scope that Sevmash has not successfully completed in the last 15-20 years.
Ah true at least you have the advantage of language perhaps you help me find out what happened to a few Russian Naval programs. Such as what happened to the Ivan Gren class ships wiki says building started in 2004 and nothing more. Is the only Kara class cruiser updated to a reasonably high standard if not to what level.
Is their a plan B for Borei if Bulava fails.
Is the Kashin class Smetlivy still in service seems old compared with the rest of the fleet

a preemptive thanks
Old September 11th, 2010   #78
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryriedl View Post
Ah true at least you have the advantage of language perhaps you help me find out what happened to a few Russian Naval programs. Such as what happened to the Ivan Gren class ships wiki says building started in 2004 and nothing more. Is the only Kara class cruiser updated to a reasonably high standard if not to what level.
Is their a plan B for Borei if Bulava fails.
Is the Kashin class Smetlivy still in service seems old compared with the rest of the fleet

a preemptive thanks
A photo of project 1171 Ivan Gren, currently still under construction. Completion date is unclear. As of right now it's 1-2 years after original completion date. The new completion date seems to be 2011, with handover to the VMF in 2012.

http://s08.radikal.ru/i181/1007/76/a06fd1fc1822.jpg

У корабля «Иван Грен» вырос нос | Калининград.Ru

/

A brief search turned up nothing on the Kara class.

Officially there is no plan B in case Bulava fails, but the reality is that the older Delta-IV subs have all undergone refit, and iirc all but one have new R-29RMU Sineva missiles, a proven weapon system. Their service life has iirc been extended to 2020, but nothing stops them from extending it further.

The Smetliviy is still in service with the Black Sea Fleet, and underwent modernization in the 90s. It's last major overhaul was 2006. ""
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010   #79
Major
Threads:
thank you for the info so Ivan Gren is almost complete.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: