Future Indian Navy

Big-E

Banned Member
What are everyones opinions on the emerging naval power of India?

With the ex-Admiral Gorshkov due to enter the fleet in 2008 and two more air defense ships coming in another decade they will be the most powerful navy in Asia. These ships will make it necessary to form CBGs along US lines. That means they need AEGIS for air defense capabilty and nuclear fast attack subs. Although they have had difficulty putting in a small enough reactor into their indiginous nuc sub they will have them. I have heard talk of the US possibly negotiating an AEGIS deal with the Indians. With the 2 new Chinese ships with SPY/1 radar and data links should drive India to acquire AEGIS asap.

What do you guys think about these developments and what it means for US/India India/Pakistan and India/Chinese naval power acquisitions?:D

aprasadi

when you look at the next 10 years of IN there are going to be lot of new additions to it. It will become a true blue water navy in coming 10 years.

1] the foremost things will be 3 aircraft careers the largest numbers after USA.

2] These will be armed with Barak-2 , MIG-29K and probably F-18 super hornets and naval LCA. With 3 aircraft carriers India wil have 3 battle groups and will be ultimate leader of indian ocean.

3] Also coming up will be number of stealth figrates, new destroyes with cruise missiles like brahmos, also may be india could get aegis!!!!!!!.

4] If all goes well with ATV project in 2010 india will have nuclear submarines.plus it will have scorpene submarines.Also under project 75, 30 are to be built to balance china and pakistan submarine forces.

5] Also in state owned dock yards contruction is going on numerous Fast attack vessels, coverttes, anti submarine coverttes, landing ships.......etc

With all these vessels India is looking for a strength of 200 odd vessels!!!!!!!
i think these numbers give aclear idea about IN's future.

AMITLCA

can any one please tell how many A.C and vessels does india have as compared to pakistan and china:confused: and what are the future projections:confused:

aaaditya

by 2020 india will have acquired 60 new vessels ,of which about 21 will be warships (currently 21 vessels are in various stages of construction).

suryaaa

dont be under the impresion that india is going for an arms race they r just replacing their old decomisioned warships ,aircrafts ,tanks with new ,technicaly supirior & effectiv ones.this may not have happened if our policy makers havent take so many time to make a decission.

anydont forget or under estimate chinees navy ,because they had one a/c carieer brought from russia to study ,so they may 1 or 2 aircraft carieer hiding from out side world.

as far as pak is concerned they trying their level best to cope up with us.

:heart :heart :heart :heart

Big-E

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
suryaaa said:
dont be under the impresion that india is going for an arms race they r just replacing their old decomisioned warships ,aircrafts ,tanks with new ,technicaly supirior & effectiv ones.this may not have happened if our policy makers havent take so many time to make a decission.

anydont forget or under estimate chinees navy ,because they had one a/c carieer brought from russia to study ,so they may 1 or 2 aircraft carieer hiding from out side world.

as far as pak is concerned they trying their level best to cope up with us.

:heart :heart :heart :heart
I don't see how India goes from having 1 carrier to 3 as replacing its inventory. I also don't see how going from diesel/electric to nuc subs are keeping in the same capabilities. Naval wise Pakistan won't stand a chance against the future Indian navy. . . I really see a fundamental shift of power in the region. . . I think maybe India wants a permanent seat on the U.N. sercurity council?

XEROX

My presumption only:)

A future Indian Navy, lets say 2020, would likely comprise of long range nuclear tipped cruise missiles, fired from its own nuclear powered submarine, as well stealth is the name of the game - so we can probably expect the navy to field much more ultra modern designs.

The carrier force by 2012/13 will be 2, by 2020 maybe 3 or possibly even 4, by then India could also be operating a nuclear powered carrier.

Realistically by then, or even less then 2020, India should be net-centric and have dedicated satellites covering its sphere of influence.

suryaaa

Big-E said:
I don't see how India goes from having 1 carrier to 3 as replacing its inventory. I also don't see how going from diesel/electric to nuc subs are keeping in the same capabilities. Naval wise Pakistan won't stand a chance against the future Indian navy. . . I really see a fundamental shift of power in the region. . . I think maybe India wants a permanent seat on the U.N. sercurity council?
i think you didnt get my point.

about aircraftcarieer dont you remember ins viraat,ins vikrant.3 aircraftcarieers nop its 2 ,because viraat will decomisioned in 2 or 3 years,so ins vikramaditya/adm ghorshkov & adv (air defence ship) being built will replace ins viraat & vikrant and about 3 nos i dont no can you give a link.

about nuc sub ,dont you read my post ,that indian navy is replacing its older fleet with techoniologicaly advanced fleet,so all ship including nuclear submarines include in it.

diesel -nuclear isn't a tech transfer.

its not a right place to talk about pan navy,anyway ince you asked

: dont under estimate weaker enemy . pak is builting new missiles like babur.
they got new french built agousta submarines.babur is an anti ship cruise missile.

:dunce :dunce :dunce
---------------------------
happy easter to all of you
-------------------------

Big-E

Banned Member
suryaaa said:
i think you didnt get my point.

about aircraftcarieer dont you remember ins viraat,ins vikrant.3 aircraftcarieers nop its 2 ,because viraat will decomisioned in 2 or 3 years,so ins vikramaditya/adm ghorshkov & adv (air defence ship) being built will replace ins viraat & vikrant and about 3 nos i dont no can you give a link.

about nuc sub ,dont you read my post ,that indian navy is replacing its older fleet with techoniologicaly advanced fleet,so all ship including nuclear submarines include in it.

diesel -nuclear isn't a tech transfer.

its not a right place to talk about pan navy,anyway ince you asked

: dont under estimate weaker enemy . pak is builting new missiles like babur.
they got new french built agousta submarines.babur is an anti ship cruise missile.

:dunce :dunce :dunce
---------------------------
happy easter to all of you
-------------------------
1) India only operates INS Viraat, the Vikrant was decommissioned on Jan 31, 1997. . . almost a decade ago. Leaving them with 1 carrier for quite some time.

2) I do believe nuc is a transfer of capabilities b/c it means blue water ambitions. Diesel/electric is for littoral waters.

3) Yeah, but India has BrahMos

aaaditya

Big-E said:
1) India only operates INS Viraat, the Vikrant was decommissioned on Jan 31, 1997. . . almost a decade ago. Leaving them with 1 carrier for quite some time.

2) I do believe nuc is a transfer of capabilities b/c it means blue water ambitions. Diesel/electric is for littoral waters.

3) Yeah, but India has BrahMos
i believe that india will have atleast three carriers,that was always indian navy's dream, and was first proposed by lord montbatten,two were to be operational carriers and one reserve.

currently india has viraat ,which was recently upgraded and is expected to remain in service till 2015-2020,admiral gorshkov/ins vikramaditya would be available in 2010 and by 2015 the ads will be available ,i remember reading reports that the indian govt had agreed principal that the navy should have 3 carriers,so believe indian navy will add atleast one more carrier after the ads.

considering the amount of modifications and upgrades that were carried out at the csl(cochin shipyards limited) just 1 carrier being built there would not be enough.

suryaaa

so your saying that india will get its third carieer after ads,then will it be an inde\gneously built one because i saw an article in globel security .com site saying that india will built 3 carieer same as ads (spec will be diff).

about viraat upgredation is it true that they will remain in service upto 2015.

thats a good news

Big-E

Banned Member
Yeah, so RIN will have 4 carriers. . . I think that makes my point.

aaaditya

Big-E said:
Yeah, so RIN will have 4 carriers. . . I think that makes my point.
what exactly do you mean by rin?

and by the way i dont think indian navy will acquire more than 3 carriers,maybe less than three but not more,the indian naval doctrine is based on three carriers for its three sea's.

XEROX

and by the way i dont think indian navy will acquire more than 3 carriers,maybe less than three but not more,the indian naval doctrine is based on three carriers for its three sea's.
I suppose one carrier will be in reserve and and comes out when the other goes in for repair/upgrades, so yes if you operate 3 at the same time, you would also have another behind the scene.

Is this right gf0012:)

norinco89

India need to step up on the air defence. They have great point air defence but no medium or long range air defence. They should buy some S-300 naval versions and put that onto a dehli or something. They need more subs too.

But i have confidence by the time 3 aircraft carriers come out these problems will be solved

Big-E

Banned Member
norinco89 said:
India need to step up on the air defence. They have great point air defence but no medium or long range air defence. They should buy some S-300 naval versions and put that onto a dehli or something. They need more subs too.

But i have confidence by the time 3 aircraft carriers come out these problems will be solved
I think by then they will have some form of AEGIS.

norinco89

Thats if they are still in good relations with the US. Well for short term you can most likely get s-300 naval version rite now

aaaditya

norinco89 said:
Thats if they are still in good relations with the US. Well for short term you can most likely get s-300 naval version rite now
not realy.india is developing its own version,though its in the early stage,also they have recently signed a deal with a israel for joint development of a new generation surface to air missile specifically for indian navy,this missile has a range of 70-80kms and is known as the super barak,there are some speculations that this missile may incorporate some technology from the arrow(i have already posted news article from various sources ),french had offered india the aster 15/aster 30 combo for its current warships(p15a bangalore/p17a shivalik),these missiles are preffered by the indian navy and we may see them on the warships currently under construction.

besides this india and russia had signed a 10billion dollar agreement for the joint development of an atbm ,iam sure that this missile can be modified and adapted for the naval defence role.

norinco89

ATBMs are still very iffy. The US spent a couple of billions on it too and it was huge failure.

Is the Barak based on pychone 4 tech?

suryaaa

atbm you mean anti balastic missile ,then i think with all the tech including
cruise missile tech & advanced redar tech we can see it soon.

we do have the missile tech but what about detection we do need radar tech

do we have any such advanced indigneous tech.
--------
:ar15 :ar15 :ar15