• Meko A200 Valour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meko 200 ANZAC

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bochaozhang

Which frigate is most good of all in all area of anti-plane, anti-ship and anti-submarrine war? I not count in ships under 3000 and more 5000 tons. Please, have nice discuss and no bad quarrel!

divedeep

I like the new Norwegian frigates. Good all round frigates with Aegis.
The problem with this poor quality thread is that it does not have other superior FFG options such as F-100 derivatives (F100/Nansen) which offer the best armarent/tonne ratio of any FFG or the second best (Zeven Provincien:)/Sachsen class). Not counting any FF/FFGs of more than 5000t displacement is impractical as many others believe classification is role based and generally between 3500-6500t.

Out of the existing 'contenders' the Formidable Class of RSN will 'win' hands down. I believe from a specifications/performance POV assuming cetris paribus equally well trained crews this is the end of discussion on specs. The person that voted for the 1980's 054A class is an idiot or non-informed.

bochaozhang

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:( I so sorry this not good thread. I not think Formidable the best so easy. Other ship able carry 2 hellicopter like Brandenbury and Adelaide. Olso they carry many missile, like essm or ram. I olso sorry forget put in T23. Very stupid miss. I try to change, no confirm.

sorry, no change allow

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
:( I so sorry this not good thread. I not think Formidable the best so easy. Other ship able carry 2 hellicopter like Brandenbury and Adelaide. Olso they carry many missile, like essm or ram. I olso sorry forget put in T23. Very stupid miss. I try to change, no confirm.

sorry, no change allow
the Adelaides are just OHP class frigates, though the four still in service have been updated with an 8 cell VLS for ESSM.

bochaozhang

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear Adelaide get soon many upgrade, not essm only? But my best like frigate is F-123. Very strong look and good round frigate. only anti-ship little weak i think.

SGMilitary

The Formidable Frigates are the best of lot.

It is build for future expansion of her already capable armaments.

It is equippped with A50 VL with Aster 15/30 .(currently 32 launchers with capacity expansion of up to 48 launchers and upgrade for Aster 30 to Block II missiles)
76mm OTO Melara main gun.(possible replacement to larger caliber gun)
Harpoon Block II SSM-max range of 117km (currently 8 launchers with capacity expansion of up to 24 launchers and possibly replacement to Norway NSSM-max range of 150km or Sweden Rbs15-max range of 180km)
A244S Mod 3 ASW torpedoes.(possible replacement to more advanced european lightweight asw torpedoes)
Herakles phased array main radar.(possible expansion of Herakles radar range,currently between 250 to 300 km detection capability-read Thales website)
EDO phased array long range sonar that has the precise ability to clasify the underwater threats and engaged the target with the torpedoes.
Possible inclusion of CIWS system comprising of gun/missile mounts.
The most mobile variant among the La-Fayette Frigates operators(France/Saudi Arabia/Taiwan).
The Formidable stealth features are more define and improvised.

Please read Janes/Defense News websites for more information.

There are already plan to build another 6 more larger and area defence capable frigates as replacement for Victory corvettes.

Best Regards.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
The Formidable Frigates are the best of lot.

It is build for future expansion of her already capable armaments.

It is equippped with A50 VL with Aster 15/30 .(currently 32 launchers with capacity expansion of up to 48 launchers and upgrade for Aster 30 to Block II missiles)
76mm OTO Melara main gun.(possible replacement to larger caliber gun)
Harpoon Block II SSM-max range of 117km (currently 8 launchers with capacity expansion of up to 24 launchers and possibly replacement to Norway NSSM-max range of 150km or Sweden Rbs15-max range of 180km)
A244S Mod 3 ASW torpedoes.(possible replacement to more advanced european lightweight asw torpedoes)
Herakles phased array main radar.(possible expansion of Herakles radar range,currently between 250 to 300 km detection capability-read Thales website)
EDO phased array long range sonar that has the precise ability to clasify the underwater threats and engaged the target with the torpedoes.
Possible inclusion of CIWS system comprising of gun/missile mounts.
The most mobile variant among the La-Fayette Frigates operators(France/Saudi Arabia/Taiwan).
The Formidable stealth features are more define and improvised.

Please read Janes/Defense News websites for more information.

There are already plan to build another 6 more larger and area defence capable frigates as replacement for Victory corvettes.

Best Regards.
I'll reply in point form.

1) It has a similar armament to the FREMM frigates which have about double the displacement, that speaks of design compromises and not much capability for expansion.
Where would you propose placing the two extra 8 cell launchers, i dont really see anywhere.
2) doubt you could get a much bigger gun unless you can fit it into the same mounting.
3) The harpoons must be concealed behind some sort of panel as i can't see them on the image i'm looking at, but i doubt you'd find room for another 4x4 cell missile launchers for harpoon.
4) Torpedoes are either the same as, or inferior to most other torpedoes in use.
5) Radar is cool. :)
6) Most frigates have decent sonar, nothing special there.
7) Not much room for a CIWS that i can see, where will it go?
8) Umm, how is it more mobile and stealthier then the other La Fayette varients?
9) Plan to build bigger frigates instead of more of these shows their limitations.

In other words, nothing spectacular or better then any other frigates around.

The best "near future" frigate design (the Sachen and F-100 are destroyers in all but name) will probably be the Italian FREMM, followed by the french FREMM and UK FSC. Italian FREMM differs from the French FREMM in that it retains EMPAR and the ability to fire Aster 30.

Regards,
Steve

ASFC

I think the RN's FSC should be left of this for now, as it remains undefined as to what the RN wants and designs that have been produced to fulfill the program range from building Cruiser size ships right down to Corvettes and OPV.

The Fridjof Nansen class with Aegis, and room for expansion over its current armament, represent one of the best Frigate sized vessels in the world at the moment. And if it was not for their size, the new Danish Frigates seem to be the other best 'bang for you buck' value for money and capability available in one hull.

People should not get hung up just on what weapons a ship carries though-a good frigate will have good range, endurance and sea-keeping ability. Based on those definitions the Leander class design from the 60's would still compare well to modern designs.

Last edited:

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Bestest isn't a word and this is a VS. thread. Read the rules we do not discuss the "best" here.

Status
Not open for further replies.