Discussion: Taiwan Navy Embarrassed After Missing ...

News Bot

SUMMARY: Taiwan’s Navy was embarrassed Oct. 14 when a torpedo fired from a submarine failed to find its target in an exercise intended to make up for failing the same drill live on television last month.

View full article

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Winter

Well, they do...A quite capable, modern one in fact....Mainly upgraded former US equipment....Though they do operate several La Fayettes...

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Kinda wierd Taiwan keeps missin the target with a torpedo again and again. Maybe their maintenance aint in its golden ages or the chinese might have mis-guided the torp.

Oqaab

Winter said:
Well, they do...A quite capable, modern one in fact....Mainly upgraded former US equipment....Though they do operate several La Fayettes...
But the King Dang (spell ??) was the anti-air version of La Fayette, isnt it ?

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Anyway if naval ships did disappear its not that easy....u cant just have a commando raid and kill every1 on board without any1 noticing even if ur jamming. And a tug cant just comeup 2 a fully armed warships and tug it away 2 the nearest port while the sailors just stare blankly at it. If theres any naval unit that can defect its a sub and well...no,no warships disappeared.

taijing

corsair7772 said:
Kinda wierd Taiwan keeps missin the target with a torpedo again and again. Maybe their maintenance aint in its golden ages or the chinese might have mis-guided the torp.
Actually, it is not that surprising that these torpedoes miss their target, they were bought more than 20 years ago, under absolute discretion. Even after their public appearance, the amount that the Taiwanese Navy owns is still a secret.
These are the German designed SUT torpedoes (Surface and Underwater Target) and manufactured in Indonesia.
These torpedoes could have been stored so long that their combat ability should have deceased. For the two unsuccessful launches, their guiding wire was said to have broken under water. The second missing one is still lying under Yi-Lan's water at 1571 meters under the surface.
The Chinese shouldn't have mis-guided these torpedoes since that they are wire-guided.

A

Aussie Digger

I think it's maybe time for a new torpedo in that case. If one misses ok, maybe it was an exception. 2 seems like a problem. Given the apparent age of the torpedo I'd be inclined to see that as the problem, particularly with the wire breaking. Of course a proper investigation should be conducted, but I don't think training standards would be to blame, or the skill levels of the sailors would be the problem.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I wondering how the Taiwanese are feeling about missing 27 agents... The Com Chinese reckon they've busted a spy ring - only happened because an idiot politician opened his mouth about knowing about the 425 missiles pointed at Taiwan.

The Com Chinese went on a witch hunt and now say they have broken the spy ring.

Thats another reason why the military can't always tell the executive everything that goes on. Invariably the executive are idiots.

taijing

gf0012 said:
I wondering how the Taiwanese are feeling about missing 27 agents... The Com Chinese reckon they've busted a spy ring - only happened because an idiot politician opened his mouth about knowing about the 425 (actually it was 496 ones) missiles pointed at Taiwan. (That politician is President Chen Shui-bian !!!!)

The Com Chinese went on a witch hunt and now say they have broken the spy ring.

Thats another reason why the military can't always tell the executive everything that goes on. Invariably the executive are idiots.
I still personnally doubt that a spy network could be so easily discovered in such a short time... The spies that both Taiwan and China send or recruit in each other's camp are not that dump I guess... Actually, Pr. Holmes Liao, a military analyst who used to be professor at the Taiwanese Armed Forces College of the National Defense University, now a research fellow at the Taiwan Research Institute spoke through the China Times on Dec 24, which is controversially a Taiwanese newspaper, that this could be another kind of form of threat and propaganda of the Chinese government. He mentionned that the most fearable spies are those who already are member of the government's institution and who voluntarily do this spying job because of their own political believes that are generally different from that of their country. These are the most difficult to be discovered.

President Chen Shui-bian has been afterwards accused by opposing political parties to have leaked military secrets by revealing this figure on the missiles set along China's southeast coast.

Several Taiwanese newspapers who favor the idea of unifying with China immediately blamed the president to have said so. Then the Chinese authorities followed few weeks later with its propaganda through Hong Kong medias...