Combat Systems Operator - Mine Warfare RAN

csomw

Hi guy's,

Im looking to rejoin the Navy, I joined up when i was 17 but due to unforseen circumstances i left at the end of recuit training at HMAS Cerberus.

I am now 25 years old and would like to join again under the same position.
When i joined i was told about my position from a recuit officer and from what information was available on the net.

What I'm wanting to know is:
what is the daily life of a CSOMW?
What are the ships i will be working on?
any photos of the ships?
what will my sleeping quaters be like on this size ship?
Are there really alot of mines out there?
Can i gain navigator skills and become a navigator? (i'm year 10 pass only)
when boarding other vessels for searching etc will i be called on to do boardings?
when the machine gun is needed to be used do i get preferential treatment and get to use it more than other sailors?
How long at a time am i at sea?...what are common times?
I understand home port is sydney what are the common places i will travel to?
What skills or qualifications will i gain that i can use in a civialian job?
Is there any benefit to gaining a first aid certificate before i enter the navy?
What is the navy's position now on fitness, im fit but i need to improve currently 110kg very solid guy fitness is hard but im make improvments am i too heavy, on a BMI chart im what is considered obesse but im just muscley see picture.

Here is a photo of me:

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi guy's,

What is the navy's position now on fitness, im fit but i need to improve currently 110kg very solid guy fitness is hard but im make improvments am i too heavy, on a BMI chart im what is considered obesse but im just muscley see picture.
I can't answer much, but I can answer what I have been told. The Navy is in much the same as the rest of the ADF. You need to be less than 33 on the BMI. Once you are under 33 then you can be assessed by a doctor to see if you are too fat. I too hate the BMI, I have a solid build too(sure I could lose a few kg but I will never ever be BMI "normal"). But even as a 6'7 person who can dead lift over 250kg (steel RSJ), carry 8x20kg concrete bags across uneven ground (i was a labourer for 3 years), fill in as a utility forward playing prop, 2ndrow, break away, play 3 games back to back in a first division sydney union club, play basketball, I need to meet the same BMI out of thin air as a 5'1 female or light build male. Any extra muscle might as well be fat. ADF selection favours light, short people with minimal strength.

Working under pressure, working in isolated or remote eviroments, team work, weapons handling, OHS, hazardous material handling, handling information, familiarity with numbers and computer systems. Etc...

csomw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
im very much into bodybuilding and my body fat is normal im 110kg @ 22% it would be very difficult for me to weigh much under 100kg without having to do a very strict diet and exercise plan.

Even at this percentage i have top 4 abs and bench press over 160kg, im all size and no fitness.

I just put my info in a BMI and iam 32.9....lol

Last edited:

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well join the club.

Shaq is obese, 200 of the ~430 NBL players are overweight. Every professional footballer is overweight or obese (NFL its 56%). Every weightlifter. Nearly every male sprinter, Nearly every boxer except feathers.

Dehydration might help you on the day.

brolgaboy

Life as CSOMW

Hi guy's,

Im looking to rejoin the Navy, I joined up when i was 17 but due to unforseen circumstances i left at the end of recuit training at HMAS Cerberus.

I am now 25 years old and would like to join again under the same position.
When i joined i was told about my position from a recuit officer and from what information was available on the net.

any photos of the ships?
when boarding other vessels for searching etc will i be called on to do boardings?
when the machine gun is needed to be used do i get preferential treatment and get to use it more than other sailors?
Is there any benefit to gaining a first aid certificate before i enter the navy?

]
Mate I can tell you exactly what you are after, it's no where near as "glamorous as Sea Patrol", often its long hours away from friends and family, tired, and feeling like shit because of no sleep due to the ship rolling around:

As an SMN/ABCSOMW at sea you will be keeping WOD (Watch On Deck)/Surface Operator watches on a 1 in 3 rotation 4hrs on/8 hrs off watch, during daytime hours add that to a normal working day. For example one night you will keep the first (8pm-12pm) then next day you will keep the forenoon (8am-11.59am), then you will keep the guts (12pm-4am), then the afternoon (12pm-4pm), then the morning (4am-8am) etc.

Predominantly HUON Class MHC,

any photos of the ships?
Google MHC or HUON Class,

Think something a little bigger than a coffin, as a big guy it can be a bit tight. You will normally be in a six pack, sleeping in a berth with six racks and one shower.

There are many many thousands of mines left over from all of the wars in the last century. Last year Aust MHC's were sent to the Western Pacific to ID and dispose of ordinance from WWII

Yes and NO If you do not have a degree already you may be able to change over to officer at a later stage.

Yes when required MW's form the core of the boarding party when on Op Resolute duties in a MHC

Yes MW's are weapon user category

It varies depending on what the ship is doing, Often it's weekly running, sometimes three to four weeks at sea at a time, normally no more than four months away from Australia at a time.

All over Aust, South East Asia and the Western Pacific.

Not a lot until you get further up the food chain

Not really

You be checked out by a doctor who will determine on your fitness.

hope this helps.

rmccoy119

Hi

Im just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what a csomw does while ashore? Also what is the 'Action Information Organisation' and a 'Sweep Group'?

Thanks

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hi

Im just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what a csomw does while ashore? Also what is the 'Action Information Organisation' and a 'Sweep Group'?

Thanks
gym, nap, gym, nap...one of those is optional, the other is mandatory...