Catching my ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aussie Digger

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/navy/Second_US_Carrier_Group_To_Deploy_to_Gulf12009754.php

Well this article has about as much of my deployment as I could say... it's a good breaking point for me to leave DT for the Stennis. I'm picking up a GreyHound to NAS Oceana at 13:00 where I'll pick up my SBug and join VFA-154 (The Black Knights) at Lamour. I haven't been to Cali in awhile. Too bad it's winter. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year DT... I'm off to war. :dance3
Cheers mate. Have a good trip. Please drop by when you can, but try to remember you're only a mere "pilot".

If things get too "hot" you can probably visit Airpower Australia for a bit of expert advice on air combat operations...

And please don't go up against any Sukhoi's, you'll be a sitting duck. You might as well go up in a Tiger Moth as your Rhino...:eek:nfloorl:

Jezza

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/navy/Second_US_Carrier_Group_To_Deploy_to_Gulf12009754.php

Well this article has about as much of my deployment as I could say... it's a good breaking point for me to leave DT for the Stennis. I'm picking up a GreyHound to NAS Oceana at 13:00 where I'll pick up my SBug and join VFA-154 (The Black Knights) at Lamour. I haven't been to Cali in awhile. Too bad it's winter. :rolleyes:

Have a safe trip, All the best :D

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro

Fair Winds and following seas shipmate. I made seven deployments on carriers myself. I know how you feel.

I know the USN has email for all on board ship. But how much connectivity to the internet will you have deployed? I know my son was deployed in 2002 and he basically could do email with pictures....

Lamour?? Nice dig:) ...For those of you USN Challanged he means Lemoore. Which is situated in no-where's-ville California. Smack dab in the middle of the San Jouquin Valley. Foggy all winter and hot as hades in the summer.

Hope you stateroom is cozy and not near the cats..Make sure you stock up on ear plugs just in case...

Did they make you a Div Off or you just assigned to OPS?? Just curious..

Have fun!!!:D And God Bless you for your service to the USA!!!

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro

Goodluck mate. I'll miss your informative and sometimes challenging contributions.

Hope you don't have to use your Super Bug in a 'hot' situation. If you do make sure you prove its better than the opposition.

Cheers

rickusn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
This is a very strange sequence of events.

VFA 154 has been operating with the Stennis since September.

I find it difficult to believe he suddenly goes to Oceana to pick-up a an F-18F flies cross-country to join his squadron quite literally on the eve of their deployment.

Or am I misunderstanding what he posted?

Pretty Top Gunnish scenario if you ask me. Things dont work like that in the real world AFAIK.

My most humble apologies if Im mistaken on these issues.

Galrahn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I'm not certain, but I may have a legitimate explanation. It sounds like Big-E is a reservist who recently got called up.

When reserve pilots are called up they get sent to one coast or the other to work up in trainers, depending upon which coast the trainers are operating at that point in time, which if I am not mistaken has been the Roosevelt as of the last few months.

The interesting thing here isn't necessarily the path he is taking to his ship, rather that he is 'perhaps' one of many naval reserve officers called up recently.

If he isn't a reservist, then everything above is void.

If you are off to war Big-E fair well and stay safe.

tphuang

Super Moderator

alright, all the best, stay safe.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
This is a very strange sequence of events.

VFA 154 has been operating with the Stennis since September.

I find it difficult to believe he suddenly goes to Oceana to pick-up a an F-18F flies cross-country to join his squadron quite literally on the eve of their deployment.

Or am I misunderstanding what he posted?

Pretty Top Gunnish scenario if you ask me. Things dont work like that in the real world AFAIK.

I had similar thoughts..but..ya' never know..

Anyway since Big E has been in SC and VA while CVN-74 was in the training cycle i.e..."work ups" as we use to call them. When will he get his CQ's in?
CQ is a carrier qual. Each pilot must re-qualify on board ship by making X number of arrested landings. Otherwise he /she cannot fly from that ship.

There are other things but I could be very wrong... and like RickUSN I apoligize in advance.

Maybe CVN-74 will be conducting CQ's on the way to the where ever they are going during their deployment.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
According to this article from Navy Times dated 4 Jan '07 the Stennis will not be leaving early afterall..humm??? It is still scheduled for a January deployment.

http://www.navytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2461666.php

Navy: No early go for Stennis
Strike group on tap for late January departure

By Gidget Fuentes
Staff writer

The aircraft carrier John C. Stennis, shown here during pre-deployment training late last year, will deploy at the end of the month, as scheduled, according to Navy officials. — MC3 Paul Perkins/Navy

SAN DIEGO — The 7,500 Navy officers, sailors and Marines of the aircraft carrier John C. Stennis and its strike group got a holiday present when word came down that they won’t deploy early, as some reports have claimed.

“We are going to depart on our scheduled deployment date,” Lt. John Perkins, Stennis’ public affairs officer, said Thursday from the ship, which remains at its home port in Bremerton, Wash.

It’s “great news that we’re going as scheduled,” Perkins added.

A Navy spokesman confirmed the strike group’s status. “They’re not moving any time frame,” Lt. Trey Brown III, a spokesman at the Pentagon, said Thursday.

The Stennis Carrier Strike Group, led by Rear Adm. Kevin Quinn, has been slated to deploy in late January, when it will depart from its Kitsap Naval Base home and stop in San Diego to pick up the bulk of the carrier air wing. The strike group wrapped up its final pre-deployment exercises at sea in mid-November, and the crew then took the first of three two-week leave breaks before deploying.

Days before Christmas, however, Pentagon sources said the strike group got notice that it could “surge” and deploy in early January to the Persian Gulf, where it would beef up the naval forces already in the region, including the Dwight D. Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group, as a show of force to Iran.

At the time, the strike group’s crews began pulling its recall rosters to contact members, many of whom were vacationing or visiting relatives, “and informing people about what was going on,” Perkins said. “We had a good part of our crew scattered on leave.”

The crew began some initial preparations to ready the ship, which has remained in a “surge” status, for the expected early departure.

But shortly after Christmas Day, Perkins said, the word came down: No early go.

The holiday and pre-deployment leave, which extend into this week, weren’t canceled, however, and the entire crew will be back to normal working hours Jan. 10 for its final pre-overseas-movement period.

“It’s back to business as usual,” Perkins said.

Still, the future schedule for Stennis and the strike group remains flexible.

“We are the surge carrier, so we’re preparing to deploy on time, but if something did happen,” the ship will be ready to go, Perkins said.

The Stennis strike group includes Destroyer Squadron 21, led by Capt. Michael Salvato, and Carrier Air Wing 9, commanded by Capt. William R. Massey.

Its ships include Aegis cruiser Antietam, destroyers O’Kane, Preble and Hamilton and the fast combat support ship Bridge. Its squadrons include: Navy Strike Fighter Squadrons 146, 147 and 154; Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 323; Tactical Electronic Attack Squadron 138; Carrier Airborne Early Squadron 112; Fleet Logistics Support Squadron 30; Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron 8; and Sea Control Squadron 31.

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I read online yesterday that CVN-74 will be deploying tomorrow. I was hoping to hear a word from Big "E" by then. Be safe shipmate!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP_WA_Stennis_Departs.html?source=rss

USS Stennis to deploy Tuesday to the Gulf region

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BREMERTON, Wash. -- The Navy's USS John C. Stennis will leave its homeport here at Naval Base Kitsap for a mission in the Gulf region as part of President Bush's order for additional U.S. forces in Iraq.

The Nimitz-class carrier and approximately 3,200 sailors are scheduled to leave Tuesday, sailing first to San Diego where it will pick up its air wing.

Bush earlier this week ordered 21,500 more soldiers to Iraq in order to boost troop levels in the Middle East. The Stennis and the 4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, a Stryker brigade at Fort Lewis near Tacoma, were part of the call up. The 4th Brigade is scheduled to leave in April, a month earlier than planned.

While in the Gulf region the Stennis will work with the USS Eisenhower Strike Group and conduct maritime security operations. It was previously in line to deploy to the Pacific, where a key concern is North Korea.

The nuclear-powered carrier arrived in Bremerton in January 2005, replacing the USS Carl Vinson for an estimated 10-year stay. It is the centerpiece of the John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group, which is commanded by Rear Adm. Kevin Quinn

Status
Not open for further replies.