Can i find out warship departure and arrival times?

davros

I have started enjoying taking pictures of Royal Navy ships and as i live in Portsmouth it easy to get down the front and get some good ones, the only problem is i dont have a clue when they are gonna be coming in and out, I was down the front today and a CVS came into port and i didn't have my camera with me, is there any where i can find out warship departure and arrival dates?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I would assume, that like the USN since 9/11, the RN has escalated the release of that info publicly as an OPSEC issue.

ie, they may periodically make announcements when they have public open days, but in general they would not be providing detail.

That's an assumption on my part of course - but it would resonate with the behaviour of a significant number of navies since 2001.

davros

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah i thought that might be the case, shame as i could have got a great pic today but didnt have my camera lol.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Actually, there are resources for such information, mostly privately collected. Seawaves Magazine does list Ark Royal with her group coming into Portsmouth today, for example. USS Mitscher tomorrow.

citizen578

Davros, as a general rule, the mob won't release information like that, unless it is a high-profile visit. Seeing as Pompey has ships going in and out as routine, you'll be very lucky. My advice is to check the RN website, and keep half an eye on the local press. Navy News also publishes ship movements, but normally only after they have happened and in broad terms.

I can understand how it's not ideal for enthusiasts, but the security situation makes it very risky to reveal too much.

Friday afternoons are always the best time to get to the Round Tower or wherever you like to spot from, with ships retutning from Thursday War and other training for the weekend.

Also, having checked out the link provided by Kato, i would suggest that you don't rely on it too much! They're quite variable, especially with smaller vessels like the Archer-class they've listed there, and it all seems to be ''community edited'' (or whatever the term is). Make sure you're watching out tomorrow afternoon/tuesday morning (i'm not sure which), and you'll see that they've made quite a significant omission from that list!

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I would assume, that like the USN since 9/11, the RN has escalated the release of that info publicly as an OPSEC issue.
So very true. In San Diego years ago the local newspaer would publish USN ships arrival and depature times daily. That ended during the 1st Gulf War in 1991 but resumed shortly thereafter. But after 09.11.2001 all of that flow of information endened abruptly.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Also, having checked out the link provided by Kato, i would suggest that you don't rely on it too much!
Obviously. The only thing you can track relatively well are major groups through such community-edited sites. I.e. groups that "make waves".

Actually, pre-9/11, certain Militaries - in particular the US, when it came to CONUS matters - were actually rather free with information in the 90s, a "rare" occurence overall. Not compared to today, but compared to other Militaries at the same time. Basically, counter-intelligence in some respect has simply moved back to Cold War levels.

Super Nimrod

I don't know how accurate it is, but tomorrows movements can be found by following the link

http://www.qhmportsmouth.com/port-movements/?shipaction=show&date=2008-10-21&days=1

If you look at the previous few days you wiill see that there was a warning posted that the channel was closed at certain times for the movement of the Ark and for an unamed foreign warship. I can't wait to eventually see the CVF's go through that gap as it will sure appear tight

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
. I can't wait to eventually see the CVF's go through that gap as it will sure appear tight
gotta get them first!:rolleyes:

If you have a mate in RN then they could tell you when something good to look at is coming in. i'm lucky in a sense to carry my camera onboard at all times for the odd one that pops up and can check RAN fleet schedule, but for overseas it is hard, as suggested, they tend to inform media of visits by major ships, so RN media releases put online are another good source.