Algeria and Italy have held a major naval exercise in the Mediterranean.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
CAIRO [MENL]

The exercise has focused on stopping illegal migrants from Africa to Europe. Another goal was to identify and seize ships believed to be smuggling contraband, including missiles and weapons of mass destruction.

Algeria has sought to improve its naval cooperation with NATO and a range of individual members of the alliance. They include Britain, France, Italy, Spain and the United States.

An Italian military spokesman said the exercise lasted for five days and was meant to strengthen military cooperation between Algiers and Rome. The spokesman said another goal of the maneuvers was to monitor oil spills and environmental damage in the southern Mediterranean.

A

Aussie Digger

I'm not sure, but I read in an 'Airforces Monthly' magazine that Algeria has been expending significant efforts on upgrading their helicopter forces and land Force capabilities in order to deal with their on going anti-terrorist operations, so I wouldn't think their naval capabilities would be too extensive. I'm thinking fast attack Boats or Corvettes would be about the most capable platforms in their fleet.

A

Aussie Digger

I just had a look at Algeria in the CIA World Factbook. Apparently Algeria has an annual defence budget of $1.87 Billion (as of FY99) so as I stated above it's Naval capability would have to be limited. Cheers.

Winter

For the sake of convenience I have replaced 'Russian' with 'Soviet.'

Algeria apparently operates (approx):

3 Soviet-built Koni II-class frigates (Without SSMs)
2/3* indigenous 'Djebel Chinoise' corvettes/patrol vessels
3 Soviet-built Nanuchka-class corvettes
11 British-built Kebir-class patrol boats
9 Soviet-built Osa II-class patrol boats
2 Soviet-built Kilo-class diesel-electric submarines
1 Soviet-built Polnochy-class landing ship

Personnel strength: 7,000.

*JWRG (as of 2001/2002): 2 built, 1 in construction

Sources:
Copy of JWRG
Periscope Military Database
HazeGray World Navies

Winter

Of course...So do China, India, Iran, Poland, Romania and Russia...

They were introduced as Soviet exports in the late 80's....Though it is believed both have been refitted in the 90's.