Aircrafts for Navy

Oqaab

India has set its MKIs for maritime role. This was done when its engines failed to perform well and 1 sqd of MKI (18 aircrafts) were grounded. Russia has solved the engine problem but still MKIs arent serving for IAF. Now, this step taken by India indicates that MKI is not fit for its airforce and it may not have that much capabilities as expected. So which aircraft should Pakistan opt for in order to counter these MKIs ???

In other words, do u ppl think the naval version of JF-17 is capable enough to counter Su-30MKI ? or we need some other aircraft ?

Need Sencible replies plzzz.

Thanx. :)

Oqaab

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually what I meant was do u ppl think the naval version of JF-17 is capable enough to counter Su-30MKI ? or we need some other aircraft ?

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
I think the best option would be the J-11
fight fire with fire u know
BUT
how about:
Tornadoe
Su-32(russian)
JH-7(chinese)
F-8(chinese)
Tu-26(russian
Tu-160(russian

umair

Peace Enforcer
Tu-26(russian
Tu-160(russian[/quote]

Dude I think he means fighters! ;)

PS Oqaab the Pak navy does not need any fighter force as it does not aspire to be a "Blue Water" navy.

Oqaab

corsair7772,

I think our airforce needs J-11 first. Chinese JH-7 is a good option but only for anti-ship purpose. We should purchase a 4th generation fighter which can counter Su-30MKI, such as J-10, or upgraded JF-17.

PS Oqaab the Pak navy does not need any fighter force as it does not aspire to be a "Blue Water" navy.
So do u mean that our P-3s are enough for Su-30MKIs ???
Fighters armed with anti-ship missiles will be called as naval fighters, although airforce operates them. We have Mirage V (ROSE) in front of MKIs but now its time to get more sophisticated fighters.

Valkyrie

Jh-7 would get my vote, though something has to be done about its weak engine and avionics. If I'm not mistaken it has air to air re-fuelling capabilities that should increase its range, assuming PAF accquires tankers. It should be made capable of firing French made Exocets missiles.

Oqaab

Why exocets ??? Chinese C-802K (or supersonic C-803) missiles are more capable then Exocets or US Harpoons missiles.

The JF-17 surely needs a more powerful engine. Its speed is Mach 1.6 but on sea-level, its speed may not be more then Mach 1. About avionics, its radar hasnt been decided yet although PAC is manufacturing Grifo S-7 radar under Italian license.

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Hey does anyone know wether those old Tu-142/95
or those older Tu-16s are good enough for maritime purpose?
(there still manufactured in china)

umair

Peace Enforcer
corsair7772 said:
Hey does anyone know wether those old Tu-142/95
or those older Tu-16s are good enough for maritime purpose?
(there still manufactured in china)
Sorry to inform u of this dude but the Tu 16 has not been in production anywhere since 1974.The survivors are used by russia as inflight refeulers&targettugs.China has also retired them from their offensive roles & uses them as target tugs.The Tu 142 was manufactured only by the USSR & that too in doubledigits, it was only exported to India(about 4 Iguess) & is thus used only by two nations.The Tu 142 is however a veeerrryyy! capable maritime patrol ,ASW & ASV platform,we should be wary of it.

Oqaab

corsair7772 said:
so got any ideas 4 a Chinese maritime aircraft?

PS does it have 2 be armed?
Pakistan will be getting P-3 Orions in near future. No need of Chinese tankers right now.

And yes, maritime aircrafts have to be armed with anti-ship missiles and guns for self defence.