"Affordable Weapon" on LCS?

ihsv

I heard somewhere that the US Navy's "Affordable Weapon", which is currently in development, is being considered for installation on the LCS. I haven't been able to find anything to substantiate that. Has anyone else heard of this? Thanks!

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
From everything I have read the USN still is developing what modules they want for LCS, right now the only one that is really close to being done is the mine warfare module.

Sea Toby

This information is the best I can come up with from COTS Journal, June 2005.

The U.S. Navy's Naval Sea Systems Command has awarded Titan a $32.4 million contract modification for the next stage in the development of the Affordable Weapon System (AWS). Under this award, Titan will produce approximately 85 missiles for demonstration, test and evaluation. The contract also includes work for the AWS launcher design and ship integration. The AWS is a guided missile system consisting of missile, launcher and mobile ground station that use military and commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) components in a "system engineered COTS" design. Launched from various platforms bya small rocket booster and powered in flight by a small turbojet engine, the affordable weapon system is designed to carry a 200-pound payload to a target several hundred miles away. Equipped with both line-of-sight and satellite data links, the missile can fly directly to its target guided by the Global Positioning System. Alternatively, the missile can fly to an area and loiter for hours, until a forward observer directs the weapon to a target. Titan, www.titan.com.

From the Titan link:

Affordable Weapon
Titan Corporation is on contract to continue the development of the Affordable Weapon System for the United States Navy’s Office of Naval Research. Cruise missiles have proven themselves in combat many times, but the U.S. Navy desired to drive down the cruise missile unit cost with a commercially-based, "cruise-like" affordable weapon missile—built entirely with off-the-shelf components and costing about a tenth of the cost of a traditional cruise missile.

Big-E

Banned Member
I thought they had consolidated the affordable weapon to the NLOS-LS system to be modulated on board LCS.

ihsv

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Big-E, I thought the same thing. Perhaps using the "Affordable Weapon" on LCS was an early plan, which has since been replaced by the NLOS-LS. That would explain why there isn't anything else out there on the internet about it. If anyone does bump into something, please let me know. Thank you all for your reponses! :)