Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Missiles & WMDs

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Pakistan Nuclear & Missile Development and News

This is a discussion on Pakistan Nuclear & Missile Development and News within the Missiles & WMDs forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by dragonfire On October 8th the Following Newspaper Article was published in Times of India Daily about exercise ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 2.60 average.
Old October 10th, 2011   #106
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
On October 8th the Following Newspaper Article was published in Times of India Daily about exercise 'Sudharshan Shakthi'

Pl note the emphasis on the word "anywhere"

So the basic premise is that If there is a nuclear first strike on India (for definition used here, India includes its troops anywhere) there would be massive nuclear retaliation on the attacker. The very fact that IA and IAF are launching a massive exercise of 50K+ troops to practice its combat doctrines are a visible response to questions posed by the Nasr missile.
Rather than looking into Indian military exercises you should visit the Indian Nuclear Doctrine. It clearly states Indian response to WMD attack on mainland India or its troops anywhere will result in massive retaliation. On the other hand, India will not use nuclear weapons first. This fact has not been over looked by Pakistan's nuclear planners, especially while they were coming up with Nasr.

Nasr's objectives are clear = deter battle, in particular any proactive campaign by Indian armed forces. In case Nasr's deterrence fails (that is it is used) and India carries out massive retaliation Pakistan will still have all its strategic nuclear arsenal to response with. In other words it would be Mutual Assured Destruction.

Nasr also provides Pakistan with other advantages. Its smaller size enables it to be stored in hard to find and destroy locations, thus providing a degree of 2nd strike capability. Number of Nasr missiles can be fired before a strategic nuclear strike to create cluster to confuse or preempt India's BMD system.

It is also a technology demonstrator of how far Pakistan has come with warhead miniaturization. Given Nasr's warhead size Pakistan can develop MIRVs, and its ability to be fired from a tube hints that Pakistan could perhaps develop and deploy ship based version as well as develop submarine based missile.
Old October 11th, 2011   #107
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SABRE View Post
Rather than looking into Indian military exercises you should visit the Indian Nuclear Doctrine. It clearly states Indian response to WMD attack on mainland India or its troops anywhere will result in massive retaliation. On the other hand, India will not use nuclear weapons first. This fact has not been over looked by Pakistan's nuclear planners, especially while they were coming up with Nasr.

Nasr's objectives are clear = deter battle, in particular any proactive campaign by Indian armed forces. In case Nasr's deterrence fails (that is it is used) and India carries out massive retaliation Pakistan will still have all its strategic nuclear arsenal to response with. In other words it would be Mutual Assured Destruction.

Nasr also provides Pakistan with other advantages. Its smaller size enables it to be stored in hard to find and destroy locations, thus providing a degree of 2nd strike capability. Number of Nasr missiles can be fired before a strategic nuclear strike to create cluster to confuse or preempt India's BMD system.

It is also a technology demonstrator of how far Pakistan has come with warhead miniaturization. Given Nasr's warhead size Pakistan can develop MIRVs, and its ability to be fired from a tube hints that Pakistan could perhaps develop and deploy ship based version as well as develop submarine based missile.
Agreed with most of the post above except for the 2nd Strike utility of the Nasr Missile, considering its short range of 60 kms and small yield of sub-kiloton it wouldnot be an ideal 2nd strike weapon. Most of my posts above were to discuss the escalation of a conventional conflict to a nuclear one if a nuclear weapon like Nasr was used. It is my hope that the region remains stable and a situation where a nuclear weapons actual usage is never contemplated.
dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011   #108
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Agreed with most of the post above except for the 2nd Strike utility of the Nasr Missile, considering its short range of 60 kms and small yield of sub-kiloton it wouldnot be an ideal 2nd strike weapon. Most of my posts above were to discuss the escalation of a conventional conflict to a nuclear one if a nuclear weapon like Nasr was used. It is my hope that the region remains stable and a situation where a nuclear weapons actual usage is never contemplated.
It may not achieve Counter Value objectives as a second strike weapon but could have Counter Force capability. On the other hand, some important locations in Punjab (Indian), Rajhistan and Gujrat can be vital targets with potentially great economic loss to India.

My personal opinion is that any war that may be considered as Total War by Pakistan may see the use of Nasr and hence escalation. For the rest I pray for what you hope.
PHySlCz
This message has been deleted by OPSSG. Reason: Violation of forum rules: No one-liners
Old December 7th, 2014   #109
Defense Aficionado
General
Threads:
Well, I think the title of this thread should drop the word 'nuclear' so that other missile news coming out of Pakistan can be shared under this thread as well instead of opening multiple new threads.

The latest news comes with regards to Pakistan's currently weak air-defense network. It appears that Pakistan has purchased THREE batteries of the LY-80 E MRSAM. The odd thing is the small number purchased therefore it appears to be a stop-gap measure aimed towards plugging holes in the air-defense network towards protecting Pakistan airspace from alien aircraft intrusions. Definitely a decent system from what I've been reading up on it.

It is an interesting mix considering this is Pakistan's second area-defense system purchase after the Spada-2000 deal.
Attached Images
File Type: png LY-80E.PNG (90.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg LY-80E MRSAM.jpg (90.7 KB, 9 views)
Old April 16th, 2015   #110
Private
Threads:
Pakistani Army conducts training launch of Ghauri ballistic missile

The Pakistani Army has successfully conducted a new training launch of the indigenously built Ghauri medium-range ballistic missile (MRBM) of 1300 kms.

Aimed at testing the operational and technical readiness of the command, the trial was conducted by the Army Strategic Forces Command's Strategic Missile Group in presence of senior officers from strategic plans division, strategic forces, scientists and engineers of strategic organisations.

Pakistani Army strategic plans division director general lieutenant general Zubair Mahmood Hayat expressed full satisfaction over the standard achieved by the strategic forces during training.

According to an Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) statement, the soldiers demonstrated their ability to efficiently handle the weapon system in the field and also fulfilled all pre-specified operational and technical objectives.

The missile is believed to have been fired from the transporter erector launcher from Tilla Test Range in Jhelum District, Pakistan.

"The soldiers demonstrated their ability to efficiently handle the weapon system in the field."

Developed by Khan Research Laboratories under the Pakistani-integrated missile research and development programme, Ghuari is a single-stage liquid fuel rocket motor-propelled ballistic missile, capable of carrying both 700kg conventional and nuclear warheads at a range of 1,300km.

Designated Hatf-V, the missile is claimed to be a variation of North Korea's Rodong-1 missile, and has been manufactured into two variants, Ghauri-I and Ghauri-II, which has increased motor assembly length and improved propellants, and a maximum range of 2,300km.

Development of the third variant, Ghauri-III, which was planned to have a range of more than 3,000km, was cancelled for reasons unknown.

Ghauri missile was last test launched under the supervision of the new strategic command and control support system (SCCSS) in November 2012.

Image: The Ghauri ballistic missile can carry both conventional and nuclear warheads up to a distance of 1,300km. Photo: Copyright 2015. ISPR.

http://image.digitalinsightresearch....20missile.jpeg

Pakistan successfully test-fires Ghauri missile
88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016
AmberServiss
This message has been deleted by SABRE.
Old March 6th, 2016   #111
Just Hatched
Private
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SABRE View Post
It may not achieve Counter Value objectives as a second strike weapon but could have Counter Force capability. On the other hand, some important locations in Punjab (Indian), Rajhistan and Gujrat can be vital targets with potentially great economic loss to India.

My personal opinion is that any war that may be considered as Total War by Pakistan may see the use of Nasr and hence escalation. For the rest I pray for what you hope.
The missile is technically advanced and with high maneuverability can Dodge any enemy ABM.
Pakistani missiles are my special field of interest and I have created some infographics which hopefully I will be able to post after 10 comments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picsay-1457078197954.jpg (72.1 KB, 8 views)
safriz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: