Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Missiles & WMDs

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Naval Version of MLRS

This is a discussion on Naval Version of MLRS within the Missiles & WMDs forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; The Navy has only so much money and already have other means to deliver precision firepower so they probably think ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.
Old July 12th, 2011   #31
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
The Navy has only so much money and already have other means to deliver precision firepower so they probably think this need is already being met with the assets at hand. Now maybe some other country without the same capabilities of the USN could consider something like a navalized MLRS worth the effort.
wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013   #32
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
i think its not a problem the Egyptian nave did it prior the 73 war they mounted bm-11 on ships [Mod edit: One-liners or content fee posts (spam like posts), like this, are a violation of forum rules, and posting a string of one-liners to just post a link in another thread will not be tolerated.

There is no need to rush in and try to increase post count, at the cost of your personal credibility to other members of the forum. Make good use of the 3-day ban, to read the forum, to get a sense of level of maturity of other members. To aid new members, the Mod Team has prepared a thread called "Air Power 101 for New Members" (in particular, the discussion on counter-sea operations), and it will you get up to speed on some concepts required for a serious discussion.

Even the Mod Team's warning to you is longer and contains more information that the one-liners you have posted.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-8-2010.jpg (97.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by OPSSG; June 6th, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Anas Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013   #33
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Not huge advantages, but not a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belesari View Post
Can someone tell me the possibility of adapting the MLRS and its subsystems like ATACMS to a naval version? Not nessesarily a VLS But just a upgrade of the system itself and why it wouldnt be possible for it to use it for Naval firesupport or why it hasn't? I've asked the question before but it hasnt ever really been answered.
Most US battleships are using VLS for launching Tomahawk cruise missiles, I don't think there would be a use for MLRS in naval warfare, Tomahawks have greater range and (if I'm not mistaken) larger warheads. The only use I really see MLRS having in naval warfare is the capability of launching faster warheads than the Tomahawk, infact lately cruise missiles have been easy tragets for anti-cruise surface-to-air missile technology. I like the idea of MLRS in naval warfare, the speed will give a great advantage.

Last edited by OPSSG; June 18th, 2013 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Fixed quote format
Matty922117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013   #34
Defense Professional / Analyst
Lieutenant General
Threads:
A Tomahawk costs about thirty times as much as a guided rocket for MLRS, hence why there is interest in the first place. That, and a MLRS module would be relatively easily reloadable at sea from the ship's magazines or supply units.
For the other reasons read page one of this thread.
kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013   #35
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Did anyone come up with a way to handle the pallets the missiles come on? They'd have to be cycled back into the magazine or stored some other place - that takes up some room. Agreed that MLRS can drop a large weight of fire onto target but we're already seeing a situation where they're only firing the guided rounds for fear of collateral damage. I'm wondering if that space might be better used by something more flexible is all.
StobieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013   #36
Lieutenant Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StobieWan View Post
Did anyone come up with a way to handle the pallets the missiles come on? They'd have to be cycled back into the magazine or stored some other place - that takes up some room. Agreed that MLRS can drop a large weight of fire onto target but we're already seeing a situation where they're only firing the guided rounds for fear of collateral damage. I'm wondering if that space might be better used by something more flexible is all.
Well, I can envision a way to feed a MLRS, but it requires 2 hatches, 2 elevators, and a big chunk of deck space for a horizontal feed mechanism, as well as the below deck ammunition storage. You are right about the need to cycle the pallets back into the magazine, which will double the size of the loading mechanism.

I suspect it would be more cost effective to design a bombardment rocket derived from the ESSM or SM-2 so you could launch it from the VLS.
My2Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013   #37
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Technically you only need a hatch giving access to a below-deck pod storage in front of the launch assembly. At least if you keep the integral loading boom assembly of the land version. An elevator would probably be helpful though.

Getting the pallets from that below-deck area in and out of magazines would then be a separate thing. That access hatch could also serve as a genera strikedown access though, so it's not necessarily wasted extra space.
Old June 19th, 2013   #38
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
From a materials handling point of view, I'm sure it'd be possible to come up with a transport mechanism that can bring up a loaded pallet then stow an expended one, but I wonder what kind of magazine arrangements you'd need ?
StobieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013   #39
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Wouldn't be that much different from stowing anti-ship missiles, both dimensions- and dangerwise. Okay, there aren't that many frontline ships stowing extra ammunition of these proportions like that, but you can easily copy such e.g. from missile FAC tenders.
Old June 19th, 2013   #40
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kato View Post
Wouldn't be that much different from stowing anti-ship missiles, both dimensions- and dangerwise. Okay, there aren't that many frontline ships stowing extra ammunition of these proportions like that, but you can easily copy such e.g. from missile FAC tenders.
"Cool" idea, but this is a rather costly way to perform a niche capability with limited utility.

For starters, the range of ATACMS is extremely limited compared to TLAM.
CB90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013   #41
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StobieWan View Post
From a materials handling point of view, I'm sure it'd be possible to come up with a transport mechanism that can bring up a loaded pallet then stow an expended one, but I wonder what kind of magazine arrangements you'd need ?
There is no need to speculate, this is how the Chinese did it with their Jianghu Type 053H1 516 converted to a one-off fire support ship (5 x 50/122mm MRLS).

Here is a series of photos showing the under-deck reload system, which is basically what you described.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 516_1.jpg (514.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 516-2.jpg (508.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 516_3.jpg (503.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 516_4.jpg (560.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 516_5.jpg (518.0 KB, 18 views)
koxinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013   #42
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Some context on the 516. It is a one-off conversion circa 2005-2006, with 5 x MRLS, based on the Type 81 system. No further units are expected and the Jianghu's are being scrapped or sold to third world clients upon being paid-off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 516-b.jpg (477.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 516_launch2.jpg (166.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 516_mrls.jpg (499.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 516_mrls2.jpg (249.3 KB, 12 views)
koxinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013   #43
Lieutenant Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by koxinga View Post
There is no need to speculate, this is how the Chinese did it with their Jianghu Type 053H1 516 converted to a one-off fire support ship (5 x 50/122mm MRLS).

Here is a series of photos showing the under-deck reload system, which is basically what you described.
This appears to be a technology demonstrator, rather than a serious design.
  • There is only one set of reloads. Granted it is not a large ship and the reloads are bulky, always a problem with MLRS.
  • If you look closely at the 1st picture and the pictures in the second post it is likely that only the #4 launcher just ahead of the aft gun turret has a loader.
  • The launcher shown in the 3rd photo of the 2nd post clearly does not have a loader.
  • No indication what they did with the empties. Given the location even levering them over the side will be time consuming. Not a problem if they are loaded and unloaded dock side.
My2Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013   #44
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
  • If you look closely at the 1st picture and the pictures in the second post it is likely that only the #4 launcher just ahead of the aft gun turret has a loader.
It's actually the two forward launchers that don't have a loader, while the three aft do. The Z position launcher has a loader starboard forward, the X and W launchers have a loader between them on the starboard side (feeding both?).
Old June 24th, 2013   #45
General
Threads:
The USN did actually design a magazine arrangement for a sea based MLRS trainable launcher in the 1980s. The pods were very space efficent and this LFS proposal had a very large magazine, 900 rockets per launcher with different ship configurations (some with a single and some with double launchers). The MLRS rocket is quite space efficent by naval standards. Then in the 1990s MLRS was proposed as a VLS application using the tech that later became GMLRS (ie self guided). Unfortunately this was canned by Congress.
Abraham Gubler is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: