Israel Works on Missiles for India

suleman

By VIVEK RAGHUVANSHI, NEW DELHI

Israel has begun developing a missile for India that will have a range of up to 300 kilometers.

Indian Army officials here on Feb. 9 confirmed that the service’s specifications for two long-range artillery (LORA) missiles were submitted to scientists at Lod-based Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI). They said the Army needs 36 India-specific LORA systems.

The India-specific missiles would represent an extended-range version of the LORA, initially developed by IAI. Current versions of the solid-fuel missile now in testing carry a 570-kilogram warhead less than 200 kilometers.

Israeli sources say Indian specifications for a longer-range version would require significant reductions in warhead size to comply with the physical properties of the missile itself, as well as international restrictions governing the transfer or sale of missiles capable of delivering a 500-kilogram payload more than 300 kilometers.

“I do not rule out the possibility of sale and even co-production of [the LORA] missile,†Moshe Keret, IAI’s president and chief executive, said Feb. 7 during the Defexpo 2004 trade show here. “This program is not only important for us, it is a crucial element of IAI’s relationship with India.â€

Army artillery officials here said Feb. 9 that a high-level team from the Artillery Directorate went to Israel in November to witness the live-fire demonstration of the LORA missile system.The Army also will fund the development of the India-specific prototype, the Army officials said. They would not disclose financial details.

The Army will conduct up to 10 trials of the solid-fueled LORA missiles before placing a bulk order with IAI, the Artillery Directorate officials said. The Army last year began its evaluation of the existing LORA missile system and the Russian Iskander-E missile system. Pursuit of the Iskander has been abandoned by the Army in favor of the LORA.

The Army currently has the indigenous Prithvi missile in its inventory. It has a range of up to 150 kilometers and is capable of carrying a nuclear warhead. The Army officials confirmed that the India-specific LORA also would have that capability.

The Army officials noted that the Prithvi missile is cumbersome to transport because of its liquid fuel, and that they preferred to deploy a solid-fueled missile. This is also to defend against solid-fueled missiles equipping forces in Pakistan.

The Army officials said the Defence Ministry will follow service recommendations to delay procuring the Smerch multibarrel rocket launch system due to concerns with support from Russia during the system’s life cycle.

Barbara Opall-Rome contributed to this report from Tel Aviv

link

mukul

India conducted mnay test of soild fuel Prithvi missiles , now only soild version of this missiles handed to army.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
mukul said:
India conducted mnay test of soild fuel Prithvi missiles , now only soild version of this missiles handed to army.
The Privthi is liquid only - it was based on the US Scout missile. To re-engine the Privthi to use solid fuel packs would be an expensive and somewhat debatable exercise in futility - especially when other opportunities are possible.

Redesigning an SRBM from liquid to solids is highly questionable when the rest of Indias ballistic missile ORBAT covers range overlaps.

However, if you have links confirming a conversion to solid fuels it would be good to see them posted.

mysterious

To this day, I've never believed India developed its ballistic missiles and N-technology on its own. Its just clean propaganda! Isreal (indirectly U.S.) and Russia all helped India do all this stuff and quite a lot sensible people know it!

mukul

mysterious said:
To this day, I've never believed India developed its ballistic missiles and N-technology on its own. Its just clean propaganda! Isreal (indirectly U.S.) and Russia all helped India do all this stuff and quite a lot sensible people know it!
yea thats why ot take more then 20 years to develop , then pak in 5 years straight ...

Roger Smith

mukul said:
mysterious said:
yea thats why ot take more then 20 years to develop , then pak in 5 years straight ...
I believe eventually all missiles and WMD should be banned. :)

Libya and Iran are the example for foregoing their nuclear arsenal/knowhow/technology. I think they should be commended on their brave move for betterment of mankind.

mysterious

lol...thats what YOU, the Indian public is made to believe that it took 20 yrs to make missiles themselves! But its known fact that Israel and Russia helped 'em. Even today, Russia provides a LOT of nuclear fuel to india which India is unable to make enough to meet its needs. And yea mukul, as said; u need to prove stuff ALL the time here! No one's here to hear ur dreamz n self valued judgments

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
mukul said:
well India updated its prethiv missiles and now made it soild fuel version also .

please update your knowledge , I don;t like to post link to give proof every time

http://www.indianembassy.org/i_digest/2004/jan_31/prithvi.htm

http://in.news.yahoo.com/040123/43/2b3hu.html
Prithvi is propelled by a mix of solid and liquid fuels.
Note the sentence in your quoted article - it is not solely a solid fuel booster, if you do your research you will find that the missile is a liquid primary. the solid portion in all likelihood is an impeller stage.

Your reference to Privthi being a solid fuel was misleading.

If you look at the US Scout you will see distinct similarities - which should be of no surprise as it is the legacy system

BTW the second article is the journos hack of the embassy release - its not a supporting ref as such.

Don't take offence when people ask you to provide evidence. There are some people in here who on the flush of patriotic enthusiasm will make things up to support sometimes nonsensical claims - that helps no one and can actually destroy your credibility as a respondent for future threads.

It is for your benefit as well as everyone else.

please update your knowledge , I don;t like to post link to give proof every time
I'll try not to be offended by this and assume that you have unfortunately compromised the tone and thrust of your response by delivering a short statement. - But you MUST post a link to support claims - otherwise its an opinion and should be declared as such (eg IMHO).

Finally - my official job requires me to stay up to date with issues, if I have a doubt then I make it clear in my posts - I'm not in the habit of saying things to be famous on here - I'll say them usually because I have had some involvement in contracts or projects. - It would pay to remember that in future. There are numerous other people in here with similar occupational qualifications.

A challenge to a response is not a challenge to your country - its a challenge to accuracy.

This is not a competition. If others treat it as such, then argue the point calmly, rationally and logically. Nothing else will win you favours.

Winter

mysterious said:
lol...thats what YOU, the Indian public is made to believe that it took 20 yrs to make missiles themselves! But its known fact that Israel and Russia helped 'em. Even today, Russia provides a LOT of nuclear fuel to india which India is unable to make enough to meet its needs. And yea mukul, as said; u need to prove stuff ALL the time here! No one's here to hear ur dreamz n self valued judgments
mysterious, please, so what? You cannot judge an entire nation on it's energy imports...Show a little backbone.

mysterious

Winter said:
mysterious said:
mysterious, please, so what? You cannot judge a entire nation on it's energy imports! Show a little backbone.
lol. Did I hurt u or something Winter (when u were young)? Why u after me man? :cop hahhahaha looks like u're mukul's bro :p dont worry. All my gathered articles and material have sorta gotten mixed up here so I'm separating relevant from the irrelevant. I'll give u ur due dose in time with evidence. so relax and keep to the topic, not me!

Winter

mysterious said:
Winter said:
mysterious said:
mysterious, please, so what? You cannot judge a entire nation on it's energy imports! Show a little backbone.
lol. Did I hurt u or something Winter (when u were young)? Why u after me man? :cop hahhahaha looks like u're mukul's bro :p dont worry. All my gathered articles and material have sorta gotten mixed up here so I'm separating relevant from the irrelevant. I'll give u ur due dose in time with evidence. so relax and keep to the topic, not me!
I'm not defending anyone, mysterious. I just think you're out of line...But that is for a Mod to decide, I suppose.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Some of you really need to calm down, I go away for 8 hours and come back to find that people are in orbit again.

Read the rules really carefully and slowly again.

Anyone who maligns an individual and/or a country outside of the spirit of a mature debate will get their posts deleted from now on if I am online.

This will apply to anyone apart from those who are new and have not been warned by another mod, or by the web.

Some of you have had warnings already, and from my perspective don't have the privilege anymore of leniency anymore.

You must post links - whether you like it or not. READ the rules.

You must declare if information is an opinion if not supported by links

If someone provides links - it is irrelevant whether you disagree with the information or not - this is an electronic house of debate and communication - so argue with rational responses

I am sick of dealing with people who do not have the capacity to keep their emotions in check. Going off the rails does nothing to support your argument and only provides more fuel to fires that are stoked by errant patriotism.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Mysterious, you need to stop acting like a kid and stop passing out useless comments that have nothing to do with the topic. You don't have to reply to every single thing that someone says. When someone does say something in regards to rules, its important you take the advice and leave it alone not argue over it. We don't want to go in the chamber again. ;)

mysterious

oh man! I thought I was off ur notorious list man! lol dont worry I'm trying hard to abide by the rules but sometimes I get carried away. and come on! I'm not as old n experienced as u guyz. Gimme time to correct ma self peepz. :(

Indus

mysterious said:
mysterious, Well you can think whatever you want to, problem is that you cant back any of it up.. no one is saying that this latest Israeli missile is Indian indigenous.. Israeli missile technology is obviously superior.. India is just trying to diversify its arsenal..

Maybe before you talk about other countries programs, you should be reminded that almost entire Pakistani nuclear arsenal are Chinese and North Korean missiles that were renamed and/or modified..

i.e.: entire Shaheen series "are imports from China by the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC)".. these are simply M-11 missiles that were renamed to the farsi word for hawk - Shaheen.
---> http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/pakistan/missile/

Ghauri Series:
"More recently, the A.Q. Khan Research Laboratories, which is also responsible for Pakistan's uranium bomb program, has imported and tested the North Korean Nodong missile under the name Ghauri.
---> http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/pakistan/missile/

So basically everything in Pak arsenal besides maybe the Hatf series, is imported..