India tests short-range nuclear-capable missile

The Watcher

India tests short-range nuclear-capable missile

BHUBANESHWAR, India
India on Friday tested a short-range nuclear-capable ballistic missile at a test range on the country's eastern coast, a defence source said.

The test of the indigenously built Prithvi (earth) missile took place at the Chandipur-on-Sea test site in the eastern state of Orissa, the source said.

"The test took place from a mobile launcher at 10:10 am to finetune the accuracy of the missile," added the official.

The missile has a range of 150-300 kilometres (95 to 190 miles) and can carry conventional and nuclear warheads. A variant of it has already been inducted into the Indian army.
Nuclear-capable India and Pakistan, which have fought three wars, two over the disputed Himalayan territory of Kashmir, routinely carry out missile tests.

The 8.5-metre (28-foot) Prithvi missile can be tipped with incendiary and fragmentary munitions or can carry a sub-kiloton nuclear warhead for use against troops or armoured formations.

cheenum

The missile has a range of 150-300 kilometres (95 to 190 miles) and can carry conventional and nuclear warheads. A variant of it has already been inducted into the Indian army.
This is news to me, I have heard of a Range of 150 Km (1,000 Kg) for the Army version and 250 Km (500Kg) for the Airforce version (which is being called the PII - Prithvi II). This figure of 300 Km Surprises me.

One surprising thing about this missile is that it is a Liquid Fueled one. I would presume that they would be using the Solid fuel version for the airforce version !!! Wonder why the Liquid fuel version was opted for !?!?!?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
cheenum said:
This is news to me, I have heard of a Range of 150 Km (1,000 Kg) for the Army version and 250 Km (500Kg) for the Airforce version (which is being called the PII - Prithvi II). This figure of 300 Km Surprises me.

One surprising thing about this missile is that it is a Liquid Fueled one. I would presume that they would be using the Solid fuel version for the airforce version !!! Wonder why the Liquid fuel version was opted for !?!?!?
It's a ballistic missile, it's far easier to control fuel management with liquid propellants as you can do precise metering. Solids are harder due to a number of issues, including uneven burn rates. shaped propellant issues, stability issues of balance when in flight.

cheenum

But isn't Solid fuel missile easier to handle. It can also be stored for longer time and can be carried in a ready to fire configuration.

On the other hand, a liquid fueled missle has to be prepared, fuel has to be loaded just before firing and with utmost care...

How can a bomber crew do this in the midst of a bombing raid probably over a hostile Theater ???

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
cheenum said:
But isn't Solid fuel missile easier to handle. It can also be stored for longer time and can be carried in a ready to fire configuration.

On the other hand, a liquid fueled missle has to be prepared, fuel has to be loaded just before firing and with utmost care...

How can a bomber crew do this in the midst of a bombing raid probably over a hostile Theater ???
Solid is easier to store and handle, there are pluses and minuses for both systems.

Liquid is normally used for ballistic weapons due to performance issues. Solids for a ballistic weapon would be a nightmare to handle.