Help to identify small mortar like bomb

maclad72

Hi,

A few years back, I inherited from my Grandfather, two small mortar like bombs. He served in the Australian Army during WW2 in New Guinea.

I've been trying to identify them & thought someone here may be able to help.

You'll see on the attached pics that they're smaller than a pencil - roughly 125mm (5 inch) tall with a diameter of almost 45mm (1 & 3/4 inch). It looks to have a pullable firing pin or priming pin at the top (one doesn't have one). The base is a four wing arrangement and the edges remain the width of the cylinder shape (45mm).

The tail section unscrews from the upper part & is painted red. The upper section appears to be bare metal which has developed a petina over time.

There is one identifiable mark on it. Stamped on one tail wing, inside a small rectangle is "IZAR 38". I assume the 38 will be year of manufacture & IZAR may be the manufacturers identifier - but I haven't been able to turn anything over searching.

Granddad never told me what they were & I'd really like to know. If anyone has advice on how I could identify them, I'd be most appreciative to hear from you.

Thanks,
Sean,
Brisbane, Australia

PCShogun

That is a WW2 Italian "Red devil" Brixia 45mm grenade / Mortar round

Nice pictures.

Last edited:

maclad72

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks so very very much!!!!
He had a friend who was a North African vet, I can only assume he got them from him.
Again, thank you!