Greece to upgrade its S-300s to S-400s

angelo

Greece and Russia have agreed to upgrade Greece is S-300 systems to S-400

With this upgrade Greece will have a range of 400km,we will be able to detect stealth

fighters,and intercept incoming balistic missiles.

mysterious

And your information is derived from where? What are your personal thoughts & views regarding this development provided that you substantiate it first?

eaf-f16

Greece and Russia have agreed to upgrade Greece is S-300 systems to S-400

With this upgrade Greece will have a range of 400km,we will be able to detect stealth

fighters,and intercept incoming balistic missiles.
Can I have a source for this?

IMO, they should becuase Israel is real cozy with Turkey and IAI just found a way on how to fool the S-300's radar with a decoy but even then it's still hard to beat.

dk706

where did you find this Info? I tried to crosscheck it with a lot of Greek news sources and i came up with nothing.

Can indeed the S-300 be updated to S-400 or are they 2 drastically different systems?

angelo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I cant post links until 15 posts and more.The best i can do for now is this

translated artical.

And typically in Greece missiles S-300

Emerged and made S-400

The feeble Russian anti-missile system S-300 PMU1, after almost eight years, emerges from the kasonia which is stored in Crete and is fully operational planning of the Greek Armed Forces. Reliable sources of the "O" indicates that the Minister of National Defense Evangelos Meimarakis, yesterday informed both the president Papadopoulos, and the defense minister Pasiardi Christodoulou, for the decisions taken in Athens, and which, in addition to activation of the system , and include upgrade to S-400. This means that it will be able to destroy naval aircraft Stealth technology, Cruz missiles and ballistic missiles, range 3,500 km And speed of 4.8 kilometers The second. Also, can be hitting targets in height from 10 meters to 50 kilometers. It is obvious that after the upgrade largely covered Cyprus and the route that will be able to use the Greek aircraft on flights to and from Cyprus. The agreement to upgrade the missiles has taken at the highest political level, between President Putin and Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis.

onslaught

Maybe not 5-6 yrs but probably not soon. The S-400 has just been deployed and the still need to work out any small problems they find with the system. Even though the system has been in development for a long time, there's probably still going to be some problems they haven't found yet. Once that happens, then they will start exporting. Since the S-400 just got deployed, it may take a couple years before S-400 goes on the market.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070806/70416533.html

skywalker1901

Has the system been proven? Any advanced radar can see stealth, it's a matter of ranch. Different size rcs will be detected at different ranges.
It comes down to weather the steatlh aircraft will be detected before it gets within range of its weapons.

onslaught

There were tests in 1999 but any weapons system goes through tests. But the only way to really "prove" a system is to put in a a real combat situation. Nobody knows when that will come. For now, the S-400 is very deadly on paper but we can only wait for a conflict to see what kind of punch the S-400 really packs.

ROCK45

advanced radar

skywalker1901 Has the system been proven? Any advanced radar can see stealth, it's a matter of ranch. Different size rcs will be detected at different ranges.
It comes down to weather the steatlh aircraft will be detected before it gets within range of its weapons.
skywalk1901 that's a pretty big statement the United States spent billions of dollars on stealth and any advance radar can see it. Can you explain that or support it with a link? I'll be willing to read it thanks

A

Aussie Digger

skywalk1901 that's a pretty big statement the United States spent billions of dollars on stealth and any advance radar can see it. Can you explain that or support it with a link? I'll be willing to read it thanks
Stealth aircraft are not invisible to radar systems. LO treatments, shaping etc reduce the range at which an LO aircraft can be detected and more significantly reduce the range at which an LO platform can be targetted, but I've never read of any design feature that makes ANY aircraft invisible to a radar system.

The effect that LO is intending to produce is to allow an aircraft to get within weapons range of it's target, before it can be engaged similarly.

Fly an F-22 or a B-2 close enough to an AEGIS radar system for instance and they WILL be detected and most likely tracked. Of course the operator would never do this, employing tactics and flight profiles to maximise THEIR advantage and minimise the advantages the defending radar system etc has.

eaf-f16

I don't think he was stating that there is a radar system that can detect US stealth aircraft at sufficient range to shoot it down before it can launch it's weapons. I think he was just stating the fact that any aircraft can be detected on radar it just differs in range and asking whether or not it's been proven that Russia's S-400 system can detect, track and shoot down stealth aircraft before getting in weapons range.

Chrom

I don't think he was stating that there is a radar system that can detect US stealth aircraft at sufficient range to shoot it down before it can launch it's weapons. I think he was just stating the fact that any aircraft can be detected on radar it just differs in range and asking whether or not it's been proven that Russia's S-400 system can detect, track and shoot down stealth aircraft before getting in weapons range.
We dont even know true F-22 RCS, let alone S-300/S-400 capabilities in that regard. Russians (non-officially) claim they can. Americans (also non-officialy) claim noone can. Believe whom you wish.

Petros

Now, thant 's very important development. Not only from the tactical point of view and the new (outstanding) operationaly possibilities it opens up for Greece, but most important because of the apparent climax of Greek - Russian strategic/military partnership. I want to remind that after a long period of quiescence in greek military purchases the first and - as it seems - the second most important purchase, concerns Russian systems.

Petros

Besides S-300 what else does Greece buy from Russia? I guess being in NATO Greece wouldn't buy Russian fighters? I remember somewhere reading where Greece were looking for fighters imagine Su-30/35 Flankers in Greece color's? I know Greece only buys American and French aircraft
:D
Recently was decided to buy about 490 BMP-3M/F to replace the BMP-1 (where I was refering to... )

Greece is a major user of varius Rusian systems. Here is a list of some:
S-300PMU-1, TOR-M1, 9K33M3 Osa-AKM,Kornet, Fagot, ZUBRs, and many others
There are also thoughts (if not decisions) of purchacing the Be-200 multipurpose amphibious aircraft and possibly BTR-90s 8x8 Armored Personnel Carriers

do you need more?

ROCK45

490 Bmp-3m/f

Thanks Petros I don't need more. A little surprise I didn't really know Greece bought that much Russian gear.

Chrom

For anyone wondering why Greece buy so much russian equipment: as with most large weapon purchases it is due to political issues.

There were several major scandals in Greece recently involving CIA (or just USA) including spying in major Greece telefon network, some suspected assasinations of greece politicans and businessmans, etc. Greece also got major screwup in internal politic due to Kosovo war (with albanian separatists in Macedonia) . Greece got some problem due to USA backing up Turkey over Cyprus conflict due to needed support in Iran/Iraq affairs. This is not complete list, but you should get the idea why Greece aquire russian weapon.

As basically Greece is part of NATO, and all Greece possible "enemies" are also part of NATO, i pretty much doubt Greece will go to war any time soon. Therefore, Greece dont need absolutely best or best value/capabilities weapon. Every major purchase there carry strong political message.

balamir

. This is not complete list, but you should get the idea why Greece aquire russian weapon.
I doubt that is the reason, as Greece could have gone to European manufacturers. I would say the main reason is the price (except ZUBR and S-300, as the former is a must for rapid support to islands and its alternative is smaller american lcac not that much suitable for the task, and the later was technically not a greek one but had to be transfered from cyprus due to harsh Turkish response)

Of course, making russians happy for future support is a nice bonus.

Chrom

I doubt that is the reason, as Greece could have gone to European manufacturers. I would say the main reason is the price (except ZUBR and S-300, as the former is a must for rapid support to islands and its alternative is smaller american lcac not that much suitable for the task, and the later was technically not a greek one but had to be transfered from cyprus due to harsh Turkish response)

Of course, making russians happy for future support is a nice bonus.
EU was major part of these screwups, silently supporting (or just knowing and not countering) USA affairs.

Ofc i dont imply russian equipment is bad/worse - just what it mostly have to to with politic.