Capabilities of Missiles in South Asia

Which missile is the best?

• Total voters

Faisal_Masud

India tested its Agni Missile and it was unsuccessful as it does not have terminal guidance system as compared to Shaheen-II.The warhead went 15 to 20 meters deep into the ground and created a crater of 10 to 12 meters radius. The destroyed parts of the warhead scattered in around one kilometer area.It reached its target in 7 minutes.After successful test-firing of the Shaheen missile on April 15, one observer said on an Indian television channel, "Pakistan could not have prepared a missile like Shaheen". This remark is the biggest compliment to the engineers and scientists of the National Development Complex. [/quote]

Winter

Re: Worst Missile of South Asia

Faisal_Masud said:
India tested its Agni Missile and it was unsuccessful as it does not have terminal guidance system as compared to Shaheen-II.The warhead went 15 to 20 meters deep into the ground and created a crater of 10 to 12 meters radius. The destroyed parts of the warhead scattered in around one kilometer area.It reached its target in 7 minutes.After successful test-firing of the Shaheen missile on April 15, one observer said on an Indian television channel, "Pakistan could not have prepared a missile like Shaheen". This remark is the biggest compliment to the engineers and scientists of the National Development Complex.
I feel you're taking a course of point-scoring versus. whatever nation you don't particularly like, Faisal_Masud. Please don't. It's the internet. This is an international forum. Now you have certainly improved since your last post, evidence and all, but invented titles such as 'Worst Missile in Asia' are generally unnecessary, yet provocative. A Mod could explain it...Check the rules again, mate.

The test took place five years ago...What do you think? Isn't there a Shaheen-II?

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Faisal, you are new so consider this a request:

Don't come up with stupid titles in order to disrespect Indians on this board or india in general. You would not like if same disrespect was given to Pakistan/Pakistanis. Give everyone their due respect and discuss on basis of facts, back your self up with news article/information of some sort.

Follow this link and read it - if you follow these you will gain our respect.

http://defencetalk.com/forums/rules.php

PS: :arrow: This is a request. Next time it will be a warning and you may not see the "third time."

Indus

Okay from globalsecurity.org:

PAKISTAN"S NUCLEAR ARSENAL
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/pakistan/missile.htm

Hatfs - 60-280km (Payload=500kg)
Shaheen I ~ 800km (Payload=500kg)
Shaheen II ~ 2000km (to be tested next month)
Ghauri III ~ 2500km (under development)

INDIA's NUCLEAR ARSENAL
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/india/missile.htm

Prithvi I ~ 150km (Payload= 1000kg !!!)
Prithvi II ~ 250km (Payload= 500kg)
Agni I ~ 800km
Agni II ~ 2500km (Payload= 1000kg)
Surya ~ 12,000km (Under development)

We can sit here and argue all day about whose guidance systems are better.. but that would be a waste of time..

We should compare and appreciate and not underestimate the arsenals of either..

corsair7772

Verified Defense Pro
Western sources have already started adding versions of DPRK missiles in pakistans inventory claiming tht a purchase of Taepo Dong missile is not far. Now how can this be true when the missile hasnt even been flight tested and all? Anyway, abt the Ghauri, i think its basically incorporating basic features from the Nodong with a few additions from KRL. Wat do u think?

general

I think it has a better guidance system than that of the No dong.It uses inertial guidance system.It is mainly for nuclear delivery purpose and not for highly tactical use.I think the KRL shoukld develope a long rang cruise missile.

general

I don't think Pakistan has any ties with DPRK anymore so the purchase of Taepo Dong is just a fantasy

greatindian

The Integrated Guided Missile Development Program (IGMDP) was formed in 1983 with the aim of achieving self-sufficiency in missile development & production and today comprises of five core missile programs ---> the strategic Agni ballistic missile, the tactical Prithvi ballistic missile, the Akash and Trishul surface-to-air missiles and the Nag anti-tank guided missile. The program has given India the capability to produce indigenous missiles in other key areas and a few 'known' missiles under development have been listed below. By enforcing the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) to stop supplies of all kinds of missile material, Western nations are trying to prevent India from developing these strategic and tactical missiles. Undaunted by this high-level conspiracy, hats off to all the brilliant Indian scientists who have toiled so hard, in their dedicated efforts, that they managed to develop these missiles.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/MISSILES/Missiles.html

Also for world report check http://www.missilethreat.com/missiles/

darklegent

Why is every person looking at Balastic Missiles. We all know of the Anti-balastic missile systems being developed. The future of missiles lies in Cruise missiles. THAT WHAT I FEEL.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
:idea2

Faisal, you need to shed some light on the issue.

Give us your opinion about each missile and then facts/figures/stats on each missile. Tell us why you think particular missile can do its job better than others.

Put some water in your posts so others feel the need to reply.

Thanks, enjoy!!!

mukul

You just forget one important milestone India has crossed in the field of missiles.

India had developed and successfully test fired Land based cruse missile with range of 300Km. on last Dec. 2003.

This cruse missile is on the line of Bhramos Anti Ship missile.

Now its in on the way of serial production and deployment.

With the deplyment of cruse missile ,India army will armed with much more potent destruction.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
mukul said:
You just forget one important milestone India has crossed in the field of missiles.

India had developed and successfully test fired Land based cruse missile with range of 300Km. on last Dec. 2003.

With the deplyment of cruse missile ,India army will armed with much more potent destruction.
The Brahmos is a Yakhont. Its development has been a work in progress by the russians for a number of years.

Although India has had considerable input into the shared project, the fundamentals of the missile were already there. Its a tried system. Most of Indias work has involved integration into indigenous systems.

Thats not meant to diminish the importance of co-design work, but its core capability was developed some years ago.

mukul

gf0012 said:
mukul said:

The Brahmos is a Yakhont. Its development has been a work in progress by the russians for a number of years.

Although India has had considerable input into the shared project, the fundamentals of the missile were already there. Its a tried system. Most of Indias work has involved integration into indigenous systems.

Thats not meant to diminish the importance of co-design work, but its core capability was developed some years ago.
although , it is based o russian design , but the thing is that India develoed its gudiance system from the scratch.

Developing the guidance system for land based cruse missile is a important milestone.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
mukul said:
gf0012 said:
mukul said:

although , it is based o russian design , but the thing is that India develoed its gudiance system from the scratch.

Developing the guidance system for land based cruse missile is a important milestone.
Certainly, I wasn't trying to diminish the efforts, just adding some extra fact that some in here may not be aware of.

Faisal_Masud

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Best Missile

*Shaheen has a terminal guidance system whereas Agni-II has not
*Shaheen is one of its own kind in the world.
*Shaheen uses a solid fuel

Faisal_Masud

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To Respected Members!
The Missile Shaheen has been developed indigenously by National Defence SComplex.Shaheen-III(36,00+Km) is under construction .No technology is acquired from North korea.The parts of this missile have been developed by Space and Upper Atmosphere Reearch Commission(SUPARCO).The people who are saying that it is a Chinese missile,I am asking question that were they watching Pakistan importing it??????
They are actually discouraging Pakistani scientists who even spent their festivals and happy occasions in their office,who kept theirselves working for the project at every condition.
At last their is a request that stop this hell.First look on your own country then point on others.
Thank You

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Shaheen is a Pakistani designed and developed missile series made by the NDSC as mentioned by Faisal. I think the Ghauri series is based on the Korean Nodong series, just like the way that the Brahmos is based on the Yakhont.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Re: Best Missile

My personal opinion is that the Shaheen II is the most advanced missile system which is currently deployed in the Asian sub continent.

Shaheen II missile system:
The Shaheen missile system was developed by the work of the National Defence Complex, Suparco and the Atomic Energy Commission.
The missile has a range of 2500 kilometres and features significant improvements over the Shaheen I missile system. The first benefit is that it is a solid fuelled missile which can be deployed in a comparatively much shorter frame of time if compared with liquid fuelled missiles.
Secondly the Shaheen II missile has one of the highest speeds during its re-entry phase. It is even said the speed is around 3 times faster than the Agni's. ( http://www.fas.org/news/pakistan/1999/fbis-nes-1999-0422.htm ) The high re-entry speed can be judged by the fact that during tests in Pakistan the one ton warhead went 15 to 20 metres into the ground while creating a crater of 12 metres in diametre.
The CEP of the Shaheen II missile is quite small. There is no exact figure available but it is widely believed to have a CEP of couple of metres. (probably around + or - 15 to 20 m)

Agni II missile system:
This is much heavier and bigger than the Shaheen II system and deployes 2 solid fuelled motors but still has a 2100 kilometres range. Also the Agni 2's motors develop less thrust than the Shaheen and take a longer time to reach the intended target when compared with the Shaheen 2. Agni II takes 11 minutes for the 2100 kilometres while the Shaheen II takes around 7 to 8 minutes.( http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/MISSILES/Agni-II.html ). Also the Agni II is not fully deployed yet and as the Indian defence minister said that it is "under production and induction phase". Also Agni II's CEP is said to be around + or - 100 metres.

My opinion is based on reading different articles on the missile systems. I am sure the Indian members will be keen to disagree with me.