Antiballistic defence of the southeastern sector of NATO

kostas-zochios

I think that the southeastern sector of NATO is the hot spot for ballistic missile attacks. I think the installation of a joint Greek-Turkish antiballistic missile system would secure these countries and Europe from any ballistic,aeroballistic or cruise missile attacks. Can this idea work? Does a system like that exist and I dont know it? Would it be effective? Could the sa-10d work together with the patriot? Would upgrading Hawk missiles with a 3-D radar give them antiballistic properties? Which ship-launched missilles have antiballistic capabillities? :confused: :hitwall :rel

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Kostas, Turkey isn't that bad. You are making it sound like Turkey is ready to invade Greece and NATO isn't doing anything when both? are members of NATO and I don't think Greece is at risk from Turkish Ballistic Missile Program if there is such thing so advance that it requires Anti-Ballistic Missile Shield.

Anyway, NATO has other plans, see this news item:

NATO in Talks on Defense System With Poland

Poland is playing an important role in NATO talks on the development of an anti-missile defense system, the military alliance’s chief said in Poland Feb. 16.

”Poland plays an important role in discussions with the alliance on missile defense,” NATO Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer said after holding talks with Polish Prime Minister Kazimierz Marcinkiewicz in Warsaw. De Hoop Scheffer gave no further details.

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_004947.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Webmaster I think you got it wrong. Kostas is talking about a joint Greek-Turkish anti ballistic missile defence system.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Whoops..my apologies for missing the joint part. :(

In any case, NATO does have other plans on missile defense of europe.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Missile Defence

Youre right the South East region is a volatile region however in terms of NATO defence there would not be much worry a middle east based strike, at this time, as the range for problematic states does not extend past Turkey. NATO members mainly Germany and Italy has expressed in the K.A. MEADS system, MEADS is projected for 2014 and I have not seen much about it what I do know from: army-technology.com/projects/meads/
It will be advanced multi threat system with 360 degree coverage, C130 portable in 5 sorties, ok the PAC-3 warhead will be used on the MEADS system
but it will have a larger body for greater range. According to globalsecurity.org
"The Missile Segment Enhancement (MSE) missile, which provides for greater ranges, will be the objective missile for the system"

This will replace both remaining HAWKS and some Patriots, though PAC-3 missiles will come in as THAAD which is the Advanced Patriot, Theatre Defence system, with a range of 200 KM and a missile threat detection range of 1000 Km. THAAD won'tbe fully op until 2011, which is 3 yrs before so there maybe not be a acquisition of THAAD as they try a wait and see approach.

Ship Launched systems are the SM-3, I have in the seen something on a French system, but I do not know where so that is a question mark. SM-3 is Japan an US at the moment but I believe once the Australian AWD program is concrete you may see some involvment from down under as it is the only likely active role the ADF will play depeding on Governments of the time I think it unlikely you will see ABM silos on Australian soil or for that matter NATO member soils.