Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Military Strategy and Tactics

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Principles of Strategy and Tactics

This is a discussion on Principles of Strategy and Tactics within the Military Strategy and Tactics forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; ngatimozart I don't intend to be presumptuous so I will reply by saying thanks, I will do the reading. In ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old December 12th, 2013   #16
Just Hatched
Private
Threads:
ngatimozart

I don't intend to be presumptuous so I will reply by saying thanks, I will do the reading. In the end, I am looking for more hands on approaches, keeping in mind I am a civvy with no military experience.
Ghost Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013   #17
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Prime View Post
ngatimozart

I don't intend to be presumptuous so I will reply by saying thanks, I will do the reading. In the end, I am looking for more hands on approaches, keeping in mind I am a civvy with no military experience.
No probs mate. I did 12 years in two different services and what I knew about strategy was learned from what we Kiwis called training manuals - war comics I was never a SNCO or an officer. What little I know I have learned since, hence my having those links I put up. I'm slowly working my way through the list when I can get hold of the books. If you go to http://www.clausewitz.com/, Army Electronic Publications & Forms - Department of the Army and JEL - Joint Electronic Library you'll find some good resources there.
Old December 16th, 2013   #18
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngatimozart View Post
No probs mate. I did 12 years in two different services and what I knew about strategy was learned from what we Kiwis called training manuals - war comics I was never a SNCO or an officer. What little I know I have learned since, hence my having those links I put up. I'm slowly working my way through the list when I can get hold of the books. If you go to The Clausewitz Homepage, Army Electronic Publications & Forms - Department of the Army and JEL - Joint Electronic Library you'll find some good resources there.
I'm not going to be outdone here haha :P

I think every nation's military would have an online, open database that looks at strategy, tactics, leadership or management in the military context in some form or another. The Singaore Armed Forces Pointer is one such resource POINTER - Home) and it gives a balanced look at Singaporean and International examples. I may not have 12 years of experience but I find what I read here truly enlightening.
bdique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013   #19
Super Moderator
Major
Threads:
To be fair and in simplest of terms, from a military standpoint you should consider that strategy and tactics are two different things. Strategy drives tactics, tactics do not drive strategy. Typically strategy and tactics meet at the theater command level, whereas strategy occurs at a higher level. Tactics are driven and constrained by the strategic objective. Rules of engagement are easy enough to see how strategy, will affect the tactical situation by removing (from the field commanders) certain tactical options. An example would be ROE that require positive id of military aged males with weapons prior to engagement. One obvious tactic removed from the field commanders tool box is recon by fire.

You can choose to study either end of the spectrum, I recommend you consider looking into the Military Decision Making Process or MDMP as a primer on how complicated deliberate operations can be. Besides, if you end up commissioning in the military you will be at the lowest level of action officer and will be learning about the MDMP fairly early in your career.
Old February 22nd, 2016   #20
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
The principles of tactical actions (METT-TC) Western area:

1. The mission, that is - the purpose of the fight.
2. Enemy.
3. Territory and weather.
4. Support existing troops.
5. Available time.
6. Civil considerations, that is, combatants do not fight against non-combatants.

"Тhe principles of the Eastern countries tactics":
Or to be more precise, I quote:

The use of motorized infantry and tank units based on the general principles of tactics organized and carried out in the hostilities, which include:
1. Maintaining their high combat and mobilization readiness;
2. Activity and decisive action;
3. consistent application of all divisions, combat capabilities, involved in combined arms combat, maintaining continuous interaction between them;
4. Line combat missions combat capabilities of their units;
5. Secrecy and suddenness of action, the use of stratagem;
6. Brave maneuver units, forces , capabilities and fire;
7. Early establishment of reserves, their skillful use and timely recovery;
8. Consolidation of success;
9. Comprehensive support of combat (the task);
10. Maintenance and timely restoration of combat capability;
11. A permanent record, the skillful use of the moral and psychological factors;
12. Solid, stable and continuous control units, power and resources.

If the translation from the Russian language would be more correct, it is still here it would be hard to understand something.
And why?
Because all of these 12 steps to the tactics are irrelevant.
willenbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016   #21
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
Threads:
So many books on this subject. Clausewitz, Jomini, & Liddell Hart are the best comprehensive sources on this subject. Liddell Hart is relatively more contemporary. But if you want something simpler then look no further then Sun Tzu. According to Sun Tzu in his Art of War there are five principles or factors that should be taken in consideration for laying of war plans:

* The Moral Law

The Moral Law causes the people to be in complete accord with their ruler, so that they will follow him regardless of their lives, undismayed by any danger.

* Heaven

Heaven signifies night and day, cold and heat, times and seasons (Weather).

* Earth

Earth comprises distances, great and small; danger and security; open ground and narrow passes; the chances of life and death.

* The Commander

The Commander stands for the virtues of wisdom, sincerely, benevolence, courage and strictness.

* Method and discipline

By method and discipline are to be understood the marshaling of the army in its proper subdivisions, the graduations of rank among the officers, the maintenance of roads by which supplies may reach the army, and the control of military expenditure.
Old February 27th, 2016   #22
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SABRE View Post
So many books on this subject. Clausewitz, Jomini, & Liddell Hart are the best comprehensive sources on this subject. Liddell Hart is relatively more contemporary. But if you want something simpler then look no further then Sun Tzu. According to Sun Tzu in his Art of War there are five principles or factors that should be taken in consideration for laying of war plans:

* The Moral Law

The Moral Law causes the people to be in complete accord with their ruler, so that they will follow him regardless of their lives, undismayed by any danger.

* Heaven

Heaven signifies night and day, cold and heat, times and seasons (Weather).

* Earth

Earth comprises distances, great and small; danger and security; open ground and narrow passes; the chances of life and death.

* The Commander

The Commander stands for the virtues of wisdom, sincerely, benevolence, courage and strictness.

* Method and discipline

By method and discipline are to be understood the marshaling of the army in its proper subdivisions, the graduations of rank among the officers, the maintenance of roads by which supplies may reach the army, and the control of military expenditure.
And Sun Tzu is taught in all the major military schools now. The Sun Tzu ping fa still informs and teaches today, 2,400 years after Sun Tzu first developed his strategies and teachings.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: