Kosovo Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt.Banes

Are NATO forces really still needed to protect the region?

My answer to that is no, the fact that NATO troops are still stationed in this region is a complete drain on the armed forces of Europe and the United States. I think at this point the U.N. Peacekeepers can fully handle the final stages of the peace process. In the case of the United States, our active troop limit is being stretched due to Iraq and Afghanistan. That also is another reason why the U.S and NATO cannot support a conflict in Darfur.

Last edited:

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Please try to expand on your topics. Answer your own question and write paragraph or two about what you think about this subject.

Do you think they are needed? Yes or no? Why is that?

IF they withdraw, how could it change the strategic balance of that region?

Could a smaller force be put in its place to fill the buffer until the region is more stable?

We aren't big fans of "one line" posts so write more and give your own comments in order to stimulate the discussion at much higher level.

Smythstar

Isnt now a critical time?

With the war crimes trials and the potential political powder keg of the Albanians declearing independance without regard for Serbia and its ethnic populations within Kosovo, if forces pulled out now its highly likely things will come to blows in a very short time frame.

Peace keeping forces cant be everywhere at the same time and local populations have to take resposibility for their own actions and I wonder sometimes if it wouldnt be a better idea (Long-term) "in some cases" to allow nature to take its course and let the two sides battle it out until they sort it out themselves.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The problem is that between the sides which battle it out there are thousands of innocent civilians. ;)

Sgt.Banes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Please try to expand on your topics. Answer your own question and write paragraph or two about what you think about this subject.

Do you think they are needed? Yes or no? Why is that?

IF they withdraw, how could it change the strategic balance of that region?

Could a smaller force be put in its place to fill the buffer until the region is more stable?

We aren't big fans of "one line" posts so write more and give your own comments in order to stimulate the discussion at much higher level.
Sorry for the short post, but I didn't get a chance to finish it I had to do something.

Sgt.Banes

The problem is that between the sides which battle it out there are thousands of innocent civilians. ;)
With so many organizations and factions already in battle with each other there really is nothing that can be done to fully pacify the region without another full NATO or U.S. offensive.

Sgt.Banes

Isnt now a critical time?

With the war crimes trials and the potential political powder keg of the Albanians declearing independance without regard for Serbia and its ethnic populations within Kosovo, if forces pulled out now its highly likely things will come to blows in a very short time frame.

Peace keeping forces cant be everywhere at the same time and local populations have to take resposibility for their own actions and I wonder sometimes if it wouldnt be a better idea (Long-term) "in some cases" to allow nature to take its course and let the two sides battle it out until they sort it out themselves.
The same can be said about the African Civil Wars, many of these conflicts there like Somalia, Sudan, and Ivory Coast. Most of these conflicts should simply be left alone and simply let the nature of war and politics take it's course.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
With so many organizations and factions already in battle with each other there really is nothing that can be done to fully pacify the region without another full NATO or U.S. offensive.
Bosnia is now pacified in a way that allows the troops to go home.

The Kosovo is still some years away from this but I don't see why it shouldn't be possible there.

And an offensive? Against who? :confused:

Sgt.Banes

Bosnia is now pacified in a way that allows the troops to go home.

The Kosovo is still some years away from this but I don't see why it shouldn't be possible there.

And an offensive? Against who? :confused:
The more dangerous factions.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Could you give more details?

Which are these groups? And do you really think that a military operation would helpt to secure the peace in this region?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah, NATO reacted to slow with their ground troops after the serbians left the Kosovo.

As to Bosnia.

I think there are not that big clashes any longer which cannot be dealt with by the local polices and a small international force mainly consisting of police forces.
There is no need anymore for thousands of troops there.
And if anything wents badly wrong there are the NATO and EU battlegroups to go in again.

I know what our troops are doing now in Bosnia and this has nearly nothing to do with military missions.
This mission just ties down urgently needed capacities without really requiring military forces any longer.

bloody

Kla

http://thenuclearworldwar.com/usa.html

They fighting for their project "Great Albania" ........ Kosovo , South-west Macedonia , North-west Greece, and big part of Montenegro with Albania of course ........Great Islamic country in Europe......... and they have full suport of USA..............

Sgt.Banes

They fighting for their project "Great Albania" ........ Kosovo , South-west Macedonia , North-west Greece, and big part of Montenegro with Albania of course ........Great Islamic country in Europe......... and they have full suport of USA..............
They seem eager about too, which is why I revert back to my post a while back. NATO and the U.S. should withdraw all of their forces and allow this kettle pot to boil under the U.N.'s watch. But this is simply my opinion.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
And we all know how good it works when the UN just watches (Ruanda, Bosnia,...).

Why shouldn't in Kosovo be achieved what the peacekeeping process achieved in Bosnia?

bloody

why........ because they want clean Kosovo ..........only Albans,no Serbs,no Roms,no Gorans,no Turks......... and someone must protect our people there ...... Police and UN are very weak in this situation......Bosnia is another thing..........

Sgt.Banes

And we all know how good it works when the UN just watches (Ruanda, Bosnia,...).

Why shouldn't in Kosovo be achieved what the peacekeeping process achieved in Bosnia?
Peace can not fully be achieved in Kosovo, too many factors are eroding the Peace process as it is now. I simply want to see a pull out of U.S. troops and main NATO allies that are stationed in Serbia. The UN and the remaining NATO troops can handle the situation in Serbia, and if needed that can call the U.S. to save the day.

Sgt.Banes

why........ because they want clean Kosovo ..........only Albans,no Serbs,no Roms,no Gorans,no Turks......... and someone must protect our people there ...... Police and UN are very weak in this situation......Bosnia is another thing..........
So what do you propose?

Status
Not open for further replies.