Joint Operations: Available Sources

jungleboy

Hi all,

This is my first thread and first proper post, so hopefully I can get a good one started here.

Preamble: For my postgrad research report this year I will be analysing the Jointness of 3rd NZ Division operations in its landings in the Green Islands, Treasury Islands and Vella Lavella Island in the Soloman Islands area. In looking for sources for the thesis, I have discovered a seemingly vacant area of solid sources, namely, Joint Operations (not to mention secondary sources for 3rd NZ Div.).

Therefore, hopefully this thread can be of assistance to me and other members who have had difficulty in finding solid information and analysis on Joint ops and their conduct. Before proceeding, however, I should clear up any misunderstanding on the definition of Joint Ops in this thread; Joint Ops is to mean interservice operations and not multinational operations, as I believe the US definition of Joint Ops is multinational operations, while in most commonwealth countries these are called Combined Ops.

First; other than official doctrine publications available online, is anyone aware of good academic sources for the conduct of Joint Ops?

Second; Similar to the 'Principles of War' and 'Principles of Command' is anyone aware of any such guidelines that could equate to 'Principles of Joint Ops'? I know that the official doctrine/manual publications list 'important elements' within the planning and conduct of Joint ops, but I have yet to come across a source which, through historical examination, has identified a certain number of 'eternal' principles specifically relating to the successful planning/conduct of Joint Ops.

Third: The closest academic sources which I have found on the evolution and development of Joint Ops in WW2, seem to be centred on Operation Weseruebung in 1940. However, once again these sources fall short of fully analysing the Joint warfare aspect of the operation and the campaign. Most seem to describe the 'surface' elements of this early venture into Joint Ops, but non dig deeper into the actual mechanics of it, and seem instead to relate chronological events and actions, whereby two or more services interacted on a particular raid etc. Thus falling short of a proper examination on standard operating procedures, and individual staff functions, and have settled for work more akin to general military history rather than anything approaching defence studies.

Fourth; Does anyone know of sources that examine, specifically, US Joint Ops in the Pacific? I hope that there should be some work done in this area as the success of most land battles rested on the ability of US forces to work together in what was often an amphibious setting.

Qasim

some thoughts

For US doctrine, joint operations are multi-service (Army & Air Force, Army, Air Force, Navy, etc) Combined operations (for the Yanks) involve other countries, be they allies (like New Zealand) or Coalition partners.

Joint Publication 5 is the US manual for joint operations planning. Joint Forces Quarterly is the US publication dedicated to joint ops.

Any historical review of the Pacific Island hopping or (in Europe) Operation Overlord, Torch, or Husky would probably be a good place to start.

Good luck,

Qasim