Desert observation posts.

hawky94

Hey all! I'm looking for information on how a two-man sniper team might set up a desert OP, they are overlooking a compound which is over a thousand metres away. They are also backed by six guys on the ground who will begin the attack once the snipers engage their target (a high-ranking Al-Qaeda military official).

How might you set up a desert OP? Sandbags and a lawn chair? just dig through the sand a bit? Or what?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Hawky

FormerDirtDart

How long is the target compound going to be under observation prior to the assault taking place?

What type of desert environment is it?

hawky94

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How long is the target compound going to be under observation prior to the assault taking place?

What type of desert environment is it?
The target is going to be under observation for around eight hours, they've got to positively ID the target, then the assault force has to get into position and only once Command has ID'd the target positively, then the attack can commence.

As for the type of desert environment, I'm not quite sure what you mean, the compound itself is isolated, surrounded by mountains, but there are also several sandhills *if that's the proper terminology* that surround it, about 800 metres (I changed the range due to the weapon system that the sniper is equipped with.) from the compound walls. (That's where I'd like the shot to be taken from.)

The sniper is using an M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper Weapon System, which has an effective range of 800 metres.

If you'd like more information, I'll certainly provide it.

adam kauwe

i'm no sniper, but i don't think the would even get anywhere near any sand dunes (im thinkin thats what your talkin about with the sand hills thing) because thats way to out in the open.800 m on a sand dune with a bunch of sand bags and a little chair,wouldn't that be nice, while your at it maybe launch some fireworks and play mariachi music. my guess is that a good sniper would opt for a different wepon system givin the mission parameters and keep an eye on things from a nearby mountin anythings gotta be better then sitting out on a fuckin dune.if the compound doesn't have any civilians we could probly just blow it up with arty and get are infantry out of harms way. anyway, im just thinkin about the situation youve givin, im not a sniper , but i like thinkin about this crap and im helpin this thread grow , so wth.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A sniper wouldn't be utilized in this fashion. For the scenario what would happen is:

Park a UAV over the threat for PID. If it's a capture mission they would assault at night, grab their guy and go. If it's not a capture mission they would select the appropriate weapon platform, Hellfire from the UAV most likely or JDAM if the situation dictates. :goodbad

Probably not the answer you were hoping for but that's how it's done.