Defence Procurement Country of Origin Options

MrWhite09

Hello,

I have an interest in defence procurement especially the options available to developing countries such as India & Brazil who are beginning the process of updating there military equipment.

I have been thinking of late about how much they have to think about the country of origin of a foreign supplier and whether it affects what products they buy.

In the case of India from what I have read there largest foreign supplier is Russia as Russian products are cheaper and often more durable than western products (not always though) and also Russia does not ask questions and seems happy to sell to any country.However Russia seems to be very poor at providing spare parts and maintenance. This also seems to be th case for China and Eastern European countries as well.

I was wondering whether there are any more western countries that are fairly happy to sell weapons to virtually any country? I have read that France is fairly happy to sell weapons to another without the restrictions that the USA puts into place but are there any others? Do countries such as Britain/Germany/Sweden/Italy have a lot of 'restrictions' in place on selling weapons? Do other countries such as South Korea or Singapore have restrictions in place as well?

If anyone has some information I would be grateful, its just for personal interest

It might be worth considering that there are other countries with MICs that are capable of exporting relatively sophisticated equipment:
Israel (as good as the big boys and sometimes better), South Africa, Ukraine, Brazil, South Africa, India, Iran, Pakistan, North Korea.