Cause of German Tank Success

redsoulja

Did germany achieve tank dominance becaus their tanks were really good or was it more of the doctrine that they used with the tanks
they used tanks in a better method than other powers the whole blitzkrieg doctrine
i think the french had better tanks
but the germans use d teh tanks in teh best possibel way

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Re: Cause German Tank Success

Yes German tanks were superior to any other tanks at the time. Panzer and Tiger series are classic designs of the era.

They also have put an effective use of tank force in the early days of WWII. The lighting war, which they use hundreds of tanks to tear through enemy lines struck fear their enemy. But by the later days of the war, their industry could not keep up the production due to bombing of industrial zones and lack of experienced tank crew was one of the reason they came to a defeat.

Pendekar

There is a story During the normandy landing of how a single dug in tiger tank destroyed 25 allied tank, 14 half truck and several other vehicle

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

German tanks are my #1 hobby!

From 1938 through 1941 German tank dominance is attributed to doctrine and tactics. When Germany invaded France they fielded more Czech 38t tanks than their own. The Panzer I and II were used extensively in Poland and France, with lesser numbers (between 2-300 IIRC) of the Panzer IV ausf D's. The Panzer IV ausf D was a decent tank compared to what the French, British and Polish forces were fielding but it's short 75mm cannon was no match for the Russians T-34/76 which was fielded in 1941. The French had the capability and military resources to easily repel the Germans, but the political chaos of 1940 France prevented their army from mounting any real and meaningful organized military defense. Also, the French at that time refused to consider the tank as an actual maneuvering element and as such, their tanks were relegated to infantry support only whereby they never achieved any sort of massed armor. Additionally, the Germans were the first army ever to grasp and implement the combined arms team and the air land battle. One other unique feature about the German armor formations is the fact that the Germans started the war from day one with armored infantry which accompanied the tanks in half tracks. It's now common knowledge but was not back then that tanks are useless without infantry support.

The Germans reallized that they had limited industry and resources and therefore opted to build quality vehicles in limited numbers. The Russians were the exact opposite, they had virtually unlimited resources in material and men and therefore opted to simply smother the Germans. The T-34 was an excellent design in it's time, but it didn't enter battle in meaninful numbers and formations until well into 1942. America chose to employ massive amounts of mediocre tanks. Statisitcally 4 Sherman tanks were destroyed for every Panther tank destroyed, the problem was that their were 10 Sherman tanks for every Panther tank, and America was able to churn them out none stop to infinity. America chose to send Shermans in numbers, they were decent tanks of the medium category, pitting them against heavy tanks... well that's why they were easy pickings for Panthers. Germany's biggest flaw was producing so many different types of tanks. In 1944 they were producing Panzer IV's, Stug IV's, Jagdpanzer IV's, Sturmpanzer IV's, Panthers, Jagdpanthers, Tiger's II, Sturmtigers II, Jagdtiger's II, and a whole host of lesser AFV's. It's been said that the Germans could have won the war by utilizing all of those resources building the Panzer IV's and variants there of. Ultimately Russia fielded the T-34/85 which was a superb tank, they also had the Josheph Stalin super heavy tanks and the monstrous IS-2's towards the end of the war. American fielded the M-26 in very limited numbers towards the end of the war, and it was superior to Panther in every respect.

So, to answer your question it was a combination of tactical excellence, decent machines and some really lousy opposition.

A

Aussie Digger

I daresay it had a bit to do with the renowned German excellence in Engineering. Even their tanks and armoured fighting vehicles today are amongst the very best in the world. Look at their other engineering efforts to in the automotive iindustry for example (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi etc)...

redsoulja

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

is today's usage of tanks very different from ww2 times or are they similiar
the doctrine did change significantly and the change was varied in different countries
correct me if im worng

A

Aussie Digger

Depends on the terrain your fighting in. In the desert anmd European style grassy plains tank on tank battles will be very prominent in the land battle. In the jungle, tanks will be used mainly to provide a mobile fire support base for the infantry, some tank on tank battles might occur, but they would generally be few and far between due to the more limited numbers of tanks used in Jungle warfare....

Pendekar

The german manage to build a so called Konigstiger tank. It was said to be the most feared land weapons in WW2. Most of the time, enemy tankers can only watch as their shot bounce harmlessly when they hit the konigstiger tank armor and wait for imminent deadly countershot, or better still they never get in range before they were shot by Konigtigers.

ajay_ijn

The german manage to build a so called Konigstiger tank. It was said to be the most feared land weapons in WW2. Most of the time, enemy tankers can only watch as their shot bounce harmlessly when they hit the konigstiger tank armor and wait for imminent deadly countershot, or better still they never get in range before they were shot by Konigtigers.
Only 500 Konig tiger or Tiger-II's were bulit by germany and Most of them became victims of allied airforce.It came out too late to have any decisive effect on war.

It participated in 2 battles.
One was during battle of bulge when they abandoned becoz of no fuel.
It was slow and was not suited to the blitzkrieg strategy of germas.
Others participated with Against Soviet union in hungary where they were outnumbered by russian tanks.

Tiger-I was much better Tank than Tiger-II,even though tiger had some disadvantages but it performed much better than Tiger-II.

It was the Tiger-I(Panzer VI) that created fear among Allied soldiers of normandy and russian soldiers of kursk.

Men like Micheal wittman and otto carius will be remembered throughout the history as the best Tank commanders.
These are all Tiger-I commanders.

I don't remember any Tiger-II ace,I don't think there are any.

ajay_ijn

what was the best tank inn WWII?
undoubtly the Russia T-34.
It was the hero of soviet union during ww2.

Germans did not had any tank which could match T-34 when it was deployed in end of 1941.

Only Tiger and panther were superior in armor and firepower to T-34.

But panther and Tiger had very bad engines and frequent breakdowns while T-34 had some of the best engines,easy maintainence and good mobility.

If u compare the numbers pather-5000+ tiger(2000)=7000
But 48,000 T-34's were produced my Soviet Union.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

The Panther and in particular the Panther Ausf G was considered to be the best "tank" of WWII to be produced and employed in meaninful numbers. The Jagdpanther was actually even more formidable but it was a tank destroyer, not a tank. The American T-26 Pershing was slightly better than the Panther however just a handful saw action during the closing months of the war so it doesn't really count. No doubt the T-34 was an excellent design however one obstacle the Russians couldn't overcome was in producing quality optics. The T-34 never fully reallized it's potential because of this. The King Tiger (Tiger II/Konigstiger) had all sorts of mechanical problems and like the T-34 it's full potential was never fully reallized.

Stanislaw

The main problems with the Geramans Tank force in Russia was the extreme cold. The tanks were so procisely machined that there was not alot of leway to accomidate the weather change, where as the russian tanks, being not as precisely machined had enough leway to operate in the environment.

I also noticed that no one has brought up the jagtiger, another german tank killer.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro

I think the label 'best WWII tank' should be split between Panther and T34/85. Each has some advantages relative to the other but both are ball busters if in the right hands. On the western front, I'ld nominate the Sherman Firefly and Sherman 76 HVSS. The coolest WWII tanks are no doubt Tiger 2 and JS III. Sorry to say there's not a real equivalent tank to these on the western front.

Stanislaw

Well if they are being judged by appearance and options, the sherman 'Crab' and the Churchill 'crocodile' are pretty sweet. The Crab was fitted with a revolving bar, that had weighted changes welded to it that could be used to beat the ground in front of the tan k and the crocodile was fitted with a flame thrower that had a range of aproximatly 80 yards.

kubai02

In the early stages of WW2, the Germans fields tanks which are of equal or less quality than both the French and British. However, the allies were inflexible in their tactics. The germans with Blitzkreig and their combined arms approach of warfare (extensive use of stukas) won the day. Their tanks really improved during the war but it gets too "complicated" (i.e. tiger 2) at the later stages of it.

However, the germans lost WW2 not because of their lack of quality or soldiers' morale but they were overwhelmed by the allied war resources (R&D, quality, quantity and rapid tactical improvement).

And the fact that Hitler just lost control of himself.

Pendekar

yep! i say we can contribute large part of german failure to dictatorship. german at that time is home to some of the best military geniuses in the world (von runstedt, ) and the highly advance and dynamic war industries.

quicksilver

Hey, everyone talked about the success of the German and Russian tanks but what about the U.S. M26 Pershing Medium Tank, that tank could stand up to a panzer any day.