Iran's Home-Grown Fighter Jet

Ozzy Blizzard

Looks like an F5 with a twin tail. Hardly inspiring. Still impresive that the iranians could produce/modify/design a lightweight fighter.

EnigmaNZ

Anyone know where the engines are coming from, I prosume they are copies of the original turbojet. I wonder if the twin tailplanes have altered the handling, and is so, how.

contedicavour

What AAMs could this modified F5 carry ? The original F5 had no BVR missiles unless modernized with radars such as Grifo...
All of this posturing just to launch Atoll IR AAMs would be ridiculous :D :rolleyes:

cheers

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
What AAMs could this modified F5 carry ? The original F5 had no BVR missiles unless modernized with radars such as Grifo...
All of this posturing just to launch Atoll IR AAMs would be ridiculous :D :rolleyes:

cheers
R-73/R-77 most probably. & the following picture is interesting to see, although it very well be made by a fan.

contedicavour

Interesting... though in order to launch R77 they need a serious air to air radar, may be the Zhuk aboard SU27s. Integrating it into a smaller and lighter plane such as this F5 derivative seems to me very difficult, even with some Russian help. R73 instead I agree with, it makes sense and it doesn't even need a air to air radar.

cheers

WAR

No matter how effective these machines would be in a modern air warfare, the good thing is that the Iranians are swiftly moving towards self-reliance.

I would appreciate if a comparative/ relative analysis of the above machines be made by some one with the contemporary fighter jets.

contedicavour

No matter how effective these machines would be in a modern air warfare, the good thing is that the Iranians are swiftly moving towards self-reliance.

I would appreciate if a comparative/ relative analysis of the above machines be made by some one with the contemporary fighter jets.
This can be done if someone can tell us which radar the modified F5 has, if it is capable of launching BVR missiles such as R77/AA-12, etc.
So far we can only judge the aircraft from its design (which isn't exactly flattering since it's 1970s vintage).
No offence to local industry though, as developing this jet is already quite an achievement.

cheers

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
There were reports of Iran researching on reverse engineering the F-14 Radar & latest rumors say they have. I cant say wheather that radar (if they have developed) can be put on these new fighters.

contedicavour

I checked, the Zhuk-ME of the latest MIG29s seems to me to be to big to fit into this modified F5. I agree that the F14 APG radar is also too big.
This is a bit of a mystery. May be IRIAF just wants to have a light fighterbomber like the original F5 was, so no need for BVR missiles and air search radars.

cheers

contedicavour

But does this fibreglass/wood/photoshop mockup actually fly?
It did take-off and land, so the engines work. This does not surprise me however as the engines could have been taken from cannibalized F5s or developed with help from the Chinese.
My doubts are about radars, weapons, and broadly about what role this jet is supposed to have in IRIAF...

cheers

merocaine

I have a theory, going on recent Iran purchases they seem to be focused on point defence, shooting down the missles rather the strike jets, since most of there Sam's are short ranged.
What kind of capabilites would you need on those jets to be able to shoot down cruise missles?

contedicavour

I have a theory, going on recent Iran purchases they seem to be focused on point defence, shooting down the missles rather the strike jets, since most of there Sam's are short ranged.
What kind of capabilites would you need on those jets to be able to shoot down cruise missles?
A very efficient air search radar and R73/77 plus AWACS in the air... the few IL-76AWACS (adnan if I remember correctly) Iran has wouldn't last more than a few minutes in case of US attack.
In other words, just buy MIG29SMT and don't waste money on this F5 clone...

cheers

Ares

All AA missiles in iran are old russian missiles like R27 with max range of 70Km and SAR guidance (SAR mean semi active radar , the radar must have locked on target until impact , but new AR missiles are fire and forget !) , R73 short range IR missile with 20KM range and R27ET medium IR missile with 50Km range , also iran mig29s are using R77 as primary weapon with max range of 60KM...
From this we can see that they do posses stocks of old R-60's , R-27's but their front line fighters like the mig-29 and their su-24 use the newest AAM's.

contedicavour

From this we can see that they do posses stocks of old R-60's , R-27's but their front line fighters like the mig-29 and their su-24 use the newest AAM's.
Ah ok this makes sense. The Iraqi planes who crossed over to Iran were probably already armed with R73 anyway...
IIRC all of the Fencers are former Iraqi plans right ?

cheers