The cockpit of F-35 Lightning II

contedicavour

WOW ! I still have in mind the F104S-ASAM cockpit, it seems to belong to another age entirely... even the Harrier Plus is still mostly analogue, here it's 100% computerized !

Thanks for posting this. I'm just praying that we'll get this bird in 2011 as planned !

cheers

aaaditya

hey i cant see any head up display in the image,doesnt jsf have one? if it does then can anyone give informaton regarding its field of view,power consumption,luminosity and modes of operation?

A

Aussie Digger

aaaditya said:
hey i cant see any head up display in the image,doesnt jsf have one? if it does then can anyone give informaton regarding its field of view,power consumption,luminosity and modes of operation?
Wouldn't Helmet mounted sights make a HUD redundant???

falconlover81

Aussie Digger said:
Wouldn't Helmet mounted sights make a HUD redundant???
hello aussie since its my third post in this forum please go easy on me if i am wrong
just like u said above if HMS makes a HUD redundant then how come aircrafts like f-16 block 50/52 and jf-17 thunder uses a combo of these two??????????
plz correct me if am wrong

A

Aussie Digger

falconlover81 said:
hello aussie since its my third post in this forum please go easy on me if i am wrong
just like u said above if HMS makes a HUD redundant then how come aircrafts like f-16 block 50/52 and jf-17 thunder uses a combo of these two??????????
plz correct me if am wrong
I'm not going to bash you mate!!! I'm no aviation expert either, I was actually asking someone (Magoo if you're keeping an eye on this, perhaps you could answer?) to help ME to understand this... :(

I'd imagine it'd be difficult to pick up the symbology displayed on the HUD when you've got similar information on a screen mounted centimetres in front of your eyes is all...

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Aussie Digger said:
I'm not going to bash you mate!!! I'm no aviation expert either, I was actually asking someone (Magoo if you're keeping an eye on this, perhaps you could answer?) to help ME to understand this... :(

I'd imagine it'd be difficult to pick up the symbology displayed on the HUD when you've got similar information on a screen mounted centimetres in front of your eyes is all...
With a helmet mounted HUD you don't need one. The secret is maintaining a fixed distance from the eye, so you have a clear symetrically shaped visor and you are good to go.

Because the distance is fixed you can adjust the projected graphic so that it doesn't interfere with the pilot's long sighted vision (looking outside the cockpit) or even looking down at the instruments. In fact they (the graphics on the visor) would probably appear to disappear if you used the correct color differential (different frequencies)between the helmet mounted graphics and the glass displays on the dash.

All up, I am not impressed... In fact I am border line disgusted as there is civilian tech out there developed in the 80's and 90's that makes this helmet mounted HUD look like childs play. i.e. My first impression was to strongly suspect LM is fleecing the air force but on further thought I think they (LM engineers) are just plain ignorant and the helmet mounted sight was designed by committee.

It is THAT bad that people need to be fired.

cheers

W