Australian Navy catches illegal fishing boat.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Edited the initial post. There was a SPACE after the picture name and thats why RED X appeared instead of the pic. :)

Btw, first pic is a good one! :smokingc:

Enjoy!!!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That certainly sends a message to fish poachers, a guided missile destroyer, an anti-submarine helicopter and the use of South African Special Forces.

That proves that the Commonwealth can work! Try doing a run down like that with the UN! :D

IIRC the govt has changed the rules now so that we will shoot to stop as per international boarding requirements.

The most embarassing thing for Paruguay was that they had a government official on board - and then tried to deny having anything to do with it.

umair

Peace Enforcer
All that just for a couple of tons of monkfish and shrimps and prawns! :D
Those Paraguayians must really love their seafood! :rotfl

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
:) You know you're in serious trouble after the first 300k's of the chase, so it would have been smarter to give up.

I definitely would have "inked myself" (sorry Nemo) if I'd have seen South African special forces fast roping down to the deck.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Three cheers for the Commonwealth!! Great work to those involved, and to the governments for their committment to keeping these poachers out of business.

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Umair, the Patagonian toothfish industry is worth Tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars a year to Australia and it's a natural resource that is managed very carefully. We have to come down hard on poachers otherwise it's a resource that won't be around for very long. Which is why when we catch them they get tried in Australia, they pay the cost of catching them, they end up in jail or severely fined and their ship gets scuttled. ;)

The Watcher

So why is this boat "illegal fishing boat?" What did they do illegal? Whats the story behind these pictures? Hey, i'm just curious. :D

Great pics! :)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Watcher said:
So why is this boat "illegal fishing boat?" What did they do illegal? Whats the story behind these pictures? Hey, i'm just curious. :D

Great pics! :)
A few things.

- They were in Australian Territorial Waters

- They refused a lawful (national and international) request to "stand to" so that they could be boarded for inspection by internationally recognised enforcement personnel

- They attempted to evade a chase vessel after all attempts had been exhausted to get them to comply with a lawful request to cease and desist

- They lied about their intent.

- The Government of Paraguay denied being involved, even though a Paraguyan Government Official was discovered on board when the boat was eventually seized.

About 25 years ago we used to blow up vessels that we seized that were illegal. We would do a thorough inspection, tow them out to a protected bay (and a restricted area) and then set them alight.

This one will probably got to auction, so they might be able to buy it back. :) Thats assuming that is passes quarantine - otherwise, it will be destroyed.

Pretty dumb when you consider that Aust intelligence was able to monitor their comms traffic from the Antarctic to the place of seizure.

They wouldn't want to wrestle with the new Customs boats, they're decently armed and the Govt has given approval that all reasonable force may be used in future. ie. They can shoot at them if they fail to comply with an order to stand to and stop.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Winter said:
elkaboingo said:
why was it south african SF? i thought this was in austrailia. :?
What is this about South Africa? I thought it was an All-Aussie operation?
It was all Aussie controlled, but what we did was organise for the South Africans to provide their special forces guys as the boarding units as they were closer to the interception point.

When it started off in Oz waters, the sea state was too rough and the boat too small in such a sea state to get our people on board, so we elected to follow and seize.

When it became apparent that they were not going to play nice, we put in contingencies, one of which was to get the Sth Africans to stand in for us at the other end.

umair

Peace Enforcer
Aussie Digger said:
Umair, the Patagonian toothfish industry is worth Tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars a year to Australia and it's a natural resource that is managed very carefully. We have to come down hard on poachers otherwise it's a resource that won't be around for very long. Which is why when we catch them they get tried in Australia, they pay the cost of catching them, they end up in jail or severely fined and their ship gets scuttled. ;)
I meant it as a satire on the fishermen not the Aussies and the Commonwealth,afterall we are members too,suspended but still members.

elkaboingo

gf0012 said:
Winter said:
elkaboingo said:
why was it south african SF? i thought this was in austrailia. :?
What is this about South Africa? I thought it was an All-Aussie operation?
It was all Aussie controlled, but what we did was organise for the South Africans to provide their special forces guys as the boarding units as they were closer to the interception point.

When it started off in Oz waters, the sea state was too rough and the boat too small in such a sea state to get our people on board, so we elected to follow and seize.

When it became apparent that they were not going to play nice, we put in contingencies, one of which was to get the Sth Africans to stand in for us at the other end.
the chase went that far!?! :eek

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
elkaboingo, the journey was a bit deceptive in length, they travelled towards the antarctic to get away, and then headed up towards africa (fuel issue I think). If they went length ways they would have given Christopher Columbus a run for his money. :)

I guess we don't like people taking our fish. :D

A

Aussie Digger

gf, the chase you are referring to occurred the year before last. These pics are of a boat captured last Friday (the 23rd I believe). The sailors boarding the boat are from HMAS Warramunga (Anzac class frigate) boarding party. The chase where the South Africans were involved, occurred in 2002 I believe. And I'm told it was Australian SF (SASR troopers from the West Coast TAG) that boarded that boat in the end, not South African Special forces, or it was at least a joint operation. SASR definitely undertook that Op though. Cheers. Mr Watcher, to fish commercially in Australian (and most Countries around the world) you need the appropriate licences. If you don't you can expect a visit from Australian Customs or Fisheries Dept and if that doesn't work, expect a visit from the Royal Australian Navy... :eek

A

Aussie Digger

Oh and they've started scuttling these boats. The fisherman were just buying them straight back otherwise... The Courts are now enforcing these matters and awarding costs against the companies involved in this enterprise in an attempt to make it a more expensive game than the money they can make out of it...