11 Gurkha Rifles in training

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Always a pleasure to watch the Gurkha's. The first time I saw then was when I was about 8 in Hong Kong. They were used to hunt for illegal immigrants from China at the time. But back to topic, these are some of the best fighters you will find anywhere in the world. Brave, fit and loyal, in short, the perfect soldier.

insas556

sikder said:
The Dagger is designed superb.
When a Gurkha rushes at you with a drawn khukri and a full blooded war cry of Ayo Gurkhali (here come the Gurkhas), its time to run :smokingc:

srirangan

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's correct. I've read reports that the Argentine soldiers in the Falkland's actually put down their weapons as soon as news broke of the Gurkha Regiment of the Royal Army landed in the islands.

Edit:
There's an ancient Pahaadi (the mountainious regions of India and Nepal) saying that when a Gurkha takes out the khukri, he can't place it back untill it tastes blood.

srirangan

Banned Member
Info on the Gurkha's

Gurkha
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Gurkha (or Gorkha) are a people from Nepal who take their name from the former city-state of Gorkha, which went on to found the Kingdom of Nepal later on. They are most famous as foreign soldiers serving the British and Indian Army.

Bravest of the brave,
most generous of the generous,
never had country more faithful friends than you.

Sir Ralph Turner (former officer in the 3rd Gurkha Rifles).
Carved on the London memorial to Britain's Gurkha soldier unveiled by Queen Elizabeth II on December 3, 1997

Gurkhas claim descent from the Rajputs of Northern India who entered modern-day Nepal from the west. In the early 1500s they conquered the small state of Gorkha and adopted its name. By 1769, the Gorkha dynasty had taken over the area of modern Nepal. They made Hinduism the state religion.

In the Gurkha War (1814–1816) they waged war with the British East India Company army. The British were impressed by the Gurkha soldiers and began to regularly hire them as mercenaries into Gurkha regiments in the East India Company army.

Under international law present day British Gurkhas are not mercenaries. They are fully integrated soldiers of the British Army, operate in formed units of the Brigade of Gurkhas and abide by the rules and regulations under which all British soldiers serve. Similar rules apply for Gurkhas serving in the Indian Army.

East India Company army
Gurkhas served as troops of the East India Company in the Pindaree War of 1817, in Bhurtbore in 1826 and the First and Second Sikh Wars in 1846 and 1848. During the Indian Mutiny in 1857, Gurkhas fought on the British side, and became part of the British Indian Army on its formation. The 2nd Gurkha Rifles (The Sirmoor Rifles) defended Hindu Rao's house for over three months, losing 327 out of 490 men. Twelve Nepalese regiments also took part in the relief of Lucknow.

British Indian Army
From the end of the Indian Mutiny until the start of the First World War the Gurkha Regiments saw active service in Burma, Afghanistan, the North-East and the North-West Frontiers of India, Malta (the Russo-Turkish War, 1877-78), Cyprus, Malaya, China (the Boxer Rebellion of 1900) and Tibet (Younghusband's Expedition of 1903).

Between 1901 and 1906, the Gurkha regiments were renumbered from the 1st to the 10th and redesignated as Gurkha Rifles. One hundred thousand Gurkhas fought in the First World War. They served in the battlefields of France in the Loos, Givenchy, Neuve Chapelle and Ypres; in Mesopotamia, Persia, Suez Canal and Palestine against Turkish advance, Gallipoli and Salonika. One detachment served with Lawrence of Arabia.

During the Battle of Loos the 8th Gurkhas fought to the last, and in the words of the Indian Corps Commander, "found its Valhalla". During the Gallipoli Campaign the 6th Gurkhas captured a feature later known as "Gurkha Bluff". At Sari Bair they were the only troops in the whole campaign to reach and hold the crest line and look down on the Straits which was the ultimate objective. Second Battalion of the 3rd Gurkha Rifles was involved in the conquest of Baghdad.

In the interwar years, Gurkhas fought in the Third Afghan War in 1919 followed by numerous campaigns on the North-West Frontier, particularly in Waziristan.

During World War Two, the Nepalese crown let the British recruit 20 extra battalions  40 in total  and let them serve everywhere in the world. In addition to keeping peace in India, Gurkhas fought in Syria, North Africa, Italy, Greece and against the Japanese in Singapore and in the jungles of Burma. The 4th battalion of the 10th Gurkha Rifles became a nucleus for the Chindits. They fought in the Battle of Imphal.

Post independence
After Indian independence – and partition – in 1947 and under the Tripartite agreement, seven Gurkha regiments joined the post-independence India Army. Four Gurkha regiments joined the British Army

British Army Brigade of Gurkhas
Four Gurkha regiments which joined the British Army on January 1 1948 were the 2nd, 6th, 7th, and 10th Gurkha Rifles. They formed the Brigade of Gurkhas and were initally stationed in Malaya. See the Brigade of Gurkhas for details of British Gurkha activities since 1948.

Indian Army Gorkhas
During Indian independence in 1947, the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th, and 11th Gorkha Rifles, became part of the Indian Army. The Indian Army uses 'Gorkha' as the official spelling.

The 1st Battalion of the 11th Gorkha Regiment fought in the 1999 Kargil conflict for India. In 1999 5/8 Gorkha Rifles were sent as part of the Indian Army UN contingent to Sierra Leone to secure the diamond fields against the Revolutionary United Front.

Other
Gurkha soldiers have won 13 Victoria Crosses, all but one (Rambahadur Limbu) were won when all Gurkha regiments were still part of the Indian Army. An additional 13 VCs have been awarded to British Officers in Gurkha regiments.

Genetically Gurkhas are Tibeto-mongolians. They speak a Rajasthani dialect. They are also famous for their large knife called the kukri.

In the mid 1980s some Nepali speaking groups in West Bengal began to organize their own Gurkha state. In 1988 they were given broader autonomy.

The treatment of Gurkhas and their families has been the subject of controversy in the United Kingdom following revelations that Gurkhas receive smaller pensions than their British equivalents.

The nationality status of Gurkhas and their families has also been in dispute, with claims that some ex-army Nepalese families are being denied residency and forced to leave Britain.

XEROX

God i love Gurkhas, Sri i have seen these pictures from the website you got then from but have you got the picture of the Gurkha in training - cutting a animals head off

srirangan

Banned Member
Admin. Moronic response deleted
That's sick! I'ld never want to see any living being's head being cut, leave alone a humans. Anyway can you post some more details about the Naga Regiment?

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
lalith prasad
gorkhas cutting human heads(preferably pakistani heads with their khukris).
"PREFERABLY" ??? I didn't know cutting human heads had a preference level.

srirangan

Banned Member
(1) For text you can Copy+Paste
(2) For images you can use the img tag. Example:
Code:
[img]http://server.com/imagefile.gif[/img]

adsH

lalith prasad said:
are there any pictures of gorkhas cutting human heads(preferably pakistani heads with their khukris).i would realy love to see them,by the way i think the gorkhas are nothing compared to the naga regiment(the regiment of head hunters).
I don't think the Grkhas when engaged with Pak Arm SSG were any match (SO NO pics of heads Of pakistanis chopped off by Grkha). Grkhas are symbol. its down to training and suitability of the soldiers not his weight or genetics. SSG, SAS and Indian SPForces are Trained to be Ruthless they Don't rely on genetics of War cry's to Scare or intimidate they Sweep inn and do the Job without giving a Cry or a notice. Thats warfare for you!!

You know, your preference to see people in agony, Lalith shows what kid of person you really are. a head being severed from a Person's Body is probably not the more pleasant or the most agreeable thing to see atleast when your CIVILIZED.

Look at the Indian Gurkha in the Pic when they are searching that poor mans house (bunch of twigs Stacked up) he's terrified and begging for his life, does he look like a high priority threat to them,(why point an Assault rifle at him) this is why you need well rounded educated troops on the battle field like the British Armed forces. That are aware of the Boundaries they should never cross!!
Loyalty from the Local populations has to be earned not won by pointing Rifles at there faces and intimidating them into acceptance.

XEROX

Come on adsh that’s unintelligent for you to assume that, the poor man in the picture could be a terrorist, for sure the SAS and the American special forces would do the same if they came across the same kind of situation

srirangan

Banned Member
Look at the Indian Gurkha in the Pic when they are searching that poor mans house (bunch of twigs Stacked up) he's terrified and begging for his life, does he look like a high priority threat to them,(why point an Assault rifle at him) this is why you need well rounded educated troops on the battle field like the British Armed forces. That are aware of the Boundaries they should never cross!!
Loyalty from the Local populations has to be earned not won by pointing Rifles at there faces and intimidating them into acceptance.
You do realize that that pic was from a training exercise, and not troops pointing guns at real people. Eh.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
adsH said:
lalith prasad said:
are there any pictures of gorkhas cutting human heads(preferably pakistani heads with their khukris).i would realy love to see them,by the way i think the gorkhas are nothing compared to the naga regiment(the regiment of head hunters).
I don't think the Grkhas when engaged with Pak Arm SSG were any match (SO NO pics of heads Of pakistanis chopped off by Grkha). Grkhas are symbol. its down to training and suitability of the soldiers not his weight or genetics. SSG, SAS and Indian SPForces are Trained to be Ruthless they Don't rely on genetics of War cry's to Scare or intimidate they Sweep inn and do the Job without giving a Cry or a notice. Thats warfare for you!!

You know, your preference to see people in agony, Lalith shows what kid of person you really are. a head being severed from a Person's Body is probably not the more pleasant or the most agreeable thing to see atleast when your CIVILIZED.

Nice post adsH. The pictures are nice except for the one you mentioned. The guy is pointing the rifle literally in his face! I hope it is a training pic as srirangain mentioned.

I don't think in today's warfare, war cries and blind charging have any place. with rifle kill ranges of hundreds of meters I don't think anybody is going to be hearing any war cries.

XEROX

With all due regard, of course warfare was different decades ago but still tradition bodes well with even today’s modern warfare

For example Scottish soldiers of the Black Watch regiment play on the bagpipe when they march to war, they did it in Iraq

I don’t see no dissimilarity with Ghurkhas and there war cry :)

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
i have some sadistic tendencies but rest assured it is limited only to the pakistanis iam quite tolerant when it comes to other people or other creatures for that matter.

lalith prasad, banned. I have no toleration for extremists and sneaky terrorists on this forum.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
PJ-10 BrahMos said:
For example Scottish soldiers of the Black Watch regiment play on the bagpipe when they march to war, they did it in Iraq

I don’t see no dissimilarity with Ghurkhas and there war cry :)
In fact the Black Watch played bagpipes when they went into Najaf only last month.