Why close my thread? (Homonyms, homophones, and homographs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustyengine237

Can I ask why you've closed my threads?

There's nothing in the rules stating covert systems aren't allowed to be discussed in off topic.

Covert language has as much to do with defence as articles on foreign policy...

I'm a care worker at a MOD facility in England treating ptsd vets.
I have picked up a few bits of lingo from the para regiment, but want to learn it more fluidly so I can earn their respect and trust them on their level... I do a very good job. This really means something to me, and it matters a lot to me..

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can I ask why you've closed my threads?

There's nothing in the rules stating covert systems aren't allowed to be discussed in off topic.

Covert language has as much to do with defence as articles on foreign policy...

I'm a care worker at a MOD facility in England treating ptsd vets.
I have picked up a few bits of lingo from the para regiment, but want to learn it more fluidly so I can earn their respect and trust them on their level... I do a very good job. This really means something to me, and it matters a lot to me..
Because your thread read like irrelevant spam?

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a relevant subject about a registered topic

What exactly made it look spammy?
Mate it is a Defence website. You really should look at a Linguistics website to be honest.

Homonyms, homophones, and homographs are not really anyone's speciality here. Even if it is an off-topic question.

An off-topic question here would be usually along the lines of How do I fix my Landrover gearbox? There would be plenty of help and advice.

Truth is anyone outside the vernacular linguistic codes of the UK Para Regt would not really understand what they are saying.

Rustyengine237

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It has everything to do with defense..

It's how, since the cold war, covert operations have spoken and communicated due to the... Er "issues" that arose around that time

It's okay, I didn't realise this was just a fanclub forum for ferrets and engines.
If you were active you'd have known that.

Ciao

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has everything to do with defense..

It's how, since the cold war, covert operations have spoken and communicated due to the... Er "issues" that arose around that time

It's okay, I didn't realise this was just a fanclub forum for ferrets and engines.
If you were active you'd have known that.

Ciao
Just a fanclub for ferrets and engines hey? Well that isn't going to help anyone, least of all you...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not to add too fine a point to it

But having dealt with PTSD in another life, and having some mates with it I can tell you one thing quite clearly

No amount of acronym knowledge will have someone who has no service background get someone who has PTSD to open up.

Its why the shift is towards ex service people becoming involved as counsellors etc as they have an immediate link with the client

its why ex service based orgs have a greater success rate

its irrelevant how well intentioned you are - no background = an incredibly filtered dialogue to the point of being a feel good exercise on the orgs part and of minimal value to the service person.

Status
Not open for further replies.