Taxes

vonnoobie

Sort of ties in with defence but only partially, not heavily.

Lot of talk down under about tax reforms and it just irking me so much had to get it out so making a post seemed like a good idea (Will wait to be seen if it actually is :D).

From my point of view, They want to talk about tax reform yet what they are proposing is lazy at best, incompetent at worst with suggestions such as raising the GST and lowering the income tax only being band aid's that in 5 years will be of no use once again.

In my view a tax system should be progressive and simple. If it is regressive then the largest portion of the population that earns the least actually has less to spend thus reducing economic growth. If it is complicated then it is too easy for people to either A. make mistakes or B. cheat the system.

They complain about bracket creep but rather then taking the logical step and moving the wage brackets up they want to lower the tax rate, No talk mentioned of cutting out the excessive tax write off's and loop holes.

In my uneducated view they should be:

A. Chance tax rates to-
$0 - $50,000 - 0%
$50,001 - $100,000 - 10%
$100,001 - $200,000 - 20%
$200,001 - $400,000 - 30%
$400,001 - 800,000 - 40%

and so forth while elimination all tax write off's, What you earn is what you pay, Nothing more nothing less.

B. Reduce the company tax down to a base 20% with zero tax write off's, A lower rate for companies investing in advanced manufacturing at say 10% (For Australia we cant compete in mass manufacturing, but in advanced we are well placed if we implement proper government systems) while taxing the Big banks and big miners a further 50% on profits. Was a past super tax profits on the miners but that system was riddled with loop holes making it pointless.

C. Scrap negative gearing on everything except for your very first home, Grand father clause the current ones.

Few other things that I cant think off of the top of my head.

Rant over :)

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Sort of ties in with defence but only partially, not heavily.

Lot of talk down under about tax reforms and it just irking me so much had to get it out so making a post seemed like a good idea (Will wait to be seen if it actually is :D).

From my point of view, They want to talk about tax reform yet what they are proposing is lazy at best, incompetent at worst with suggestions such as raising the GST and lowering the income tax only being band aid's that in 5 years will be of no use once again.

In my view a tax system should be progressive and simple. If it is regressive then the largest portion of the population that earns the least actually has less to spend thus reducing economic growth. If it is complicated then it is too easy for people to either A. make mistakes or B. cheat the system.

They complain about bracket creep but rather then taking the logical step and moving the wage brackets up they want to lower the tax rate, No talk mentioned of cutting out the excessive tax write off's and loop holes.

In my uneducated view they should be:

A. Chance tax rates to-
$0 - $50,000 - 0%
$50,001 - $100,000 - 10%
$100,001 - $200,000 - 20%
$200,001 - $400,000 - 30%
$400,001 - 800,000 - 40%

and so forth while elimination all tax write off's, What you earn is what you pay, Nothing more nothing less.

B. Reduce the company tax down to a base 20% with zero tax write off's, A lower rate for companies investing in advanced manufacturing at say 10% (For Australia we cant compete in mass manufacturing, but in advanced we are well placed if we implement proper government systems) while taxing the Big banks and big miners a further 50% on profits. Was a past super tax profits on the miners but that system was riddled with loop holes making it pointless.

C. Scrap negative gearing on everything except for your very first home, Grand father clause the current ones.

Few other things that I cant think off of the top of my head.

Rant over :)
Any discussion on tax reform is pointless unless it involves every revenue option for the govt.
The problem remains in Australia that we granted ourselves vast amounts of largesse during the mining boom but now the revenue has evaporated we need to reel that back.
The debate revolves around what we are willing to forgo, how that is shared with fairness or whether we retain the largesse ( Shorten's preferred option) and who pays.

As a final point, NZ has a 15% GST on everything and a balanced budget. When I was last there I didn't notice social inequality any different from Oz, why the scaremongering, we should learn from them. Having mentioned that, it is only one brick in the wall albeit a very efficient brick.

vonnoobie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any discussion on tax reform is pointless unless it involves every revenue option for the govt.
The problem remains in Australia that we granted ourselves vast amounts of largesse during the mining boom but now the revenue has evaporated we need to reel that back.
The debate revolves around what we are willing to forgo, how that is shared with fairness or whether we retain the largesse ( Shorten's preferred option) and who pays.

As a final point, NZ has a 15% GST on everything and a balanced budget. When I was last there I didn't notice social inequality any different from Oz, why the scaremongering, we should learn from them. Having mentioned that, it is only one brick in the wall albeit a very efficient brick.
True NZ does have a 15% GST in everything, Not to mention actual lower tax brackets and rates then that of Australia, Yet they collect more tax as a proportion of there GDP (35% to our 25%) then us. Just shows how pointless and wasteful the complexity of our system is.

Ideally the system would be ripped up and re written but that is unlikely.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
True NZ does have a 15% GST in everything, Not to mention actual lower tax brackets and rates then that of Australia, Yet they collect more tax as a proportion of there GDP (35% to our 25%) then us. Just shows how pointless and wasteful the complexity of our system is.

Ideally the system would be ripped up and re written but that is unlikely.
You could come to the US and try the tax system here. I suspect you would find it rather maddening.

vonnoobie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You could come to the US and try the tax system here. I suspect you would find it rather maddening.
No thank you, I already have a basic understanding of the US tax issues.. First issue - Its 75,000+ pages long ...... Hell they are actually adding taxes faster and in greater numbers then the IRS can keep up with

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
No thank you, I already have a basic understanding of the US tax issues.. First issue - Its 75,000+ pages long ...... Hell they are actually adding taxes faster and in greater numbers then the IRS can keep up with
There is no 'basic' understanding of the US tax system. It starts with dysfunctional and goes rapidly downhill from there.