Security clearance Question

ABoneshot75

I have only been in the military going on 11 months now. I just finished AIT and arrived at my first duty station, S. Korea. I had no plans of being tied down for the duration of my contract. I have ran into a slight problem since i have been here. I met a Girl in Korea that i really enjoy spending time with her and I’m beginning to fall in love. The only problem is she is not Korean, she is from the Philippines. I’m not going to beat around the bush, she is a juicy girl. Some people are very skeptical because of the money, but when i go see her she doesn't make me pay or anything we have a regular relationship. I’m thinking of asking her to marry me. I have an issue though, i have a clearance and marrying a foreign national may cause me to have a suspension of it. I need some advice of ways I can go about getting married to her while alleviating some damage to my career. Please don't comment on my situation.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I have only been in the military going on 11 months now. I just finished AIT and arrived at my first duty station, S. Korea. I had no plans of being tied down for the duration of my contract. I have ran into a slight problem since i have been here. I met a Girl in Korea that i really enjoy spending time with her and I’m beginning to fall in love. The only problem is she is not Korean, she is from the Philippines. I’m not going to beat around the bush, she is a juicy girl. Some people are very skeptical because of the money, but when i go see her she doesn't make me pay or anything we have a regular relationship. I’m thinking of asking her to marry me. I have an issue though, i have a clearance and marrying a foreign national may cause me to have a suspension of it. I need some advice of ways I can go about getting married to her while alleviating some damage to my career. Please don't comment on my situation.
You should speak to your commander or unit security officer and ask the theorerical. marrying foreigners can impact upon your clearances and it involves more than just about where they were born.

the security clearance process can and is quite complex. I would assume that yours will be directly related to your MOS

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
gf is right on the money.

In the mean time, you didn't mention what level your clearance was. This will have more to do with how much, if any impact your potential new spouse will have on your clearance, and how long it will take for your new clearance to come through. A gazilliion Phillipinos and Koreans have married US personnel with no real impact on their jobs. I have a friend that's married 2 foreigners in his 20 year career and he had a compartmental clearance.

**edit**

I'm assuming your probably Army. You might want to pose this question in an AKO forum, and I recommend leaving out reference to a juicy girl. Just state that your considering marriage to a foreigner and you'd like to know what if any impact that will have on your clearance.

Last edited:

Rayna

I'm assuming your probably Army. You might want to pose this question in an AKO forum, and I recommend leaving out reference to a juicy girl. Just state that your considering marriage to a foreigner and you'd like to know what if any impact that will have on your clearance.
I have to agree what he says, i know its a little late in replying but when you ask, keep it professional.