Cricket World Cup 2011

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Ok ... here is a good off topic for Pakistani, Indian, Australian, English, Kiwi and other cricket playing friends.

So far only two good matches have taken place:

i. Pakistan v/s Sri Lanka
ii. England v/s India

Both matches have proved that the 'most' favorites are not so favorite after all. Next two big matches are defending champ Australia v/s Sri Lanka (5th March) and England v/s South Africa (6th March). This may measure how good Aussies and S.Africans still are, and are they favorites. But what ever the outcome ... top 8 test playing teams (Pakistan, Australia, England, India, Sril Lank, South Africa, New Zealand & West Indies) are going to the quarter finals.

T.C.P

Ok ... here is a good off topic for Pakistani, Indian, Australian, English, Kiwi and other cricket playing friends.

So far only two good matches have taken place:

i. Pakistan v/s Sri Lanka
ii. England v/s India

Both matches have proved that the 'most' favorites are not so favorite after all. Next two big matches are defending champ Australia v/s Sri Lanka (5th March) and England v/s South Africa (6th March). This may measure how good Aussies and S.Africans still are, and are they favorites. But what ever the outcome ... top 8 test playing teams (Pakistan, Australia, England, India, Sril Lank, South Africa, New Zealand & West Indies) are going to the quarter finals.
Ha Ha don't be so sure my friend, we Bangladesh have a pretty good chance of qualifying for the Quarter finals. The Bangladesh vs Ireland match was the first real close match which was not one sided(albeit it was a low profile match).

BTW we out rank West Indies in the ICC ODI cricket rankings Bangladesh is number 8.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha Ha don't be so sure my friend, we Bangladesh have a pretty good chance of qualifying for the Quarter finals. The Bangladesh vs Ireland match was the first real close match which was not one sided(albeit it was a low profile match).

BTW we out rank West Indies in the ICC ODI cricket rankings Bangladesh is number 8.
After England-India tie I think you guys have good chance of making it to QFs - if you beat WI.

T.C.P

The WI vs BD match will be the most important of the Group matches for both the countries.

T.C.P

The biggest upset of the 20011 ICC cricket world cup has just taken place. One of the top favourites England just got beat by Ireland, IRELAND. This is absurd. Kevin o Briann single handedly dismantled the English attack with a brilliant 50 ball century, the fastest century in world cup history.

A

Aussie Digger

Interesting to see how much effect pace is having in this world cup so far.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Australia's chances at retaining the Cup but we'll see how we are really travelling on Saturday when we face our first big challenge (sorry Kiwis...)

;)

dragonfire

Given that Ireland beat England in a high scoring match, the India vs. Ireland match on Sunday will also be a game to watch out for.

ahem.. I predict India would win :)

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
The match was too one-sided with WI wining it in a comprehensive manner. Tough Luck for Bangladesh
Not even T20 standard.

The Bangladeshis today stoned West Indian squad bus. Not a good thing to do. The venue might get banned.

dragonfire said:
Given that Ireland beat England in a high scoring match, the India vs. Ireland match on Sunday will also be a game to watch out for.

ahem.. I predict India would win
Me too ... I don't think Ireland would be able to repeat the win. Indians are probably going to give them a massive score to chase if India bats first. If not Ireland will probably give a simple chase-able score.

But Ireland made point to the ICC.

Aussie Digger said:
Interesting to see how much effect pace is having in this world cup so far.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Australia's chances at retaining the Cup but we'll see how we are really travelling on Saturday when we face our first big challenge (sorry Kiwis...)
Spin is doing more than pace. You should expect batting pitches in India and normal in Sri Lanka.

Your real challenge is Sri Lanka.

Our group is safe whether loose or win against big teams. Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Australia and New Zealand should reach QFs easily ... if things keep going as they are. It's the other group where all the fun is.

& seriously ... let someone else win this time.

Last edited:

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
What is the point in stoning West Indian team's bus by Bangla fans? They should be angry with their players for losing at home turf, not the visitors. Sad.

T.C.P

What is the point in stoning West Indian team's bus by Bangla fans? They should be angry with their players for losing at home turf, not the visitors. Sad.
The national players were not left out Shakibs house was attacked, only 1 or 2 stones were throne by deranged trouble makers, they were apprehended, boy are those stone throwers in for a treat, they will get a taste of what true third world police brutality is like.\

Most fans congratulated the West Indies team, Chris Gayle has a huge Fan base in my country, there were actually protests when Gayle was not chosen for the IPL.

Today was a pathetic game, being a hard core Fan of Bangali cricket, I have to say Bangali cricket was shamed today, I mean 58 all out!!!! Now that is pathetic!!!!

Protests have started all over Bangladesh demanding punishment of the National players, There have been attacks on the Bangladesh Cricket boards office and the residences of several other players, the Bangladeshi Team bus would have been burned had it not been for tough security.

Edit: apparently the target was the Bangali team bus and not the West Indies bus.

From a Bangladeshi, my heartfelt apologies to the West Indian cricketers and to the Cricket fans all over the world for the idiotic acts of some high and drunk Hooligans.

dragonfire

Me too ... I don't think Ireland would be able to repeat the win. Indians are probably going to give them a massive score to chase if India bats first. If not Ireland will probably give a simple chase-able score.
Same observation here, if India bats first and gets a 350+ score then it will affect the Ireland morale greatly which is what stood by them against the English. OTOH if Ireland bats first then India will need to restrict them to sub-300 score. Either ways even when i want India to win, it would be great to see the win coming after some great effort from the Irish. Good Luck to both teams for tom esp for the Indian team :D

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I don't think win is the objective of Ireland and other associate teams in this World Cup. They are just out to prove they deserve to be in this tournament and others to come. ICC has decided to have only 10 (test) teams in the next world cup saying associate teams learn nothing. Here is what they have learned:

1979 Sri Lanka beats India
1983 Zimbabwe beats Australia
1996 Kenya beats West Indies
1999 Bangladesh beats Pakistan
2003 Kenya beats Sri Lanka
(2007 Bangladesh beats India)
2007 Ireland beats Pakistan
2011- Ireland beats England

Besides that associates have beaten several teams in regular ODIs.

We can't say anything about all the above wins. All the big guys were down in shape when these wins happened - nonetheless, you don't expect them to loose out to associates. But the Irish win over England was actually a well fought match with effort in it.

If you don't let associates play the big guns they'll not learn anything at all. Besides how well the BD has performed against big team in this WC? We might just see 8 teams in 2019 World Cup. Cricket needs to be popularized.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Either ways even when i want India to win, it would be great to see the win coming after some great effort from the Irish. Good Luck to both teams for tom esp for the Indian team :D
I'll be supporting the Irish. Not because I am Pakistan (or have anything against India ... which I don't). But because Irish playing good or winning is just to sweet and in-your-face for the ICC.

BTW ... you are from Bangalore. That is beautiful stadium you guys got there. So you going to the next match? Its in your city.

dragonfire

I don't think win is the objective of Ireland and other associate teams in this World Cup. They are just out to prove they deserve to be in this tournament and others to come. ICC has decided to have only 10 (test) teams in the next world cup saying associate teams learn nothing. Here is what they have learned:

We can't say anything about all the above wins. All the big guys were down in shape when these wins happened - nonetheless, you don't expect them to loose out to associates. But the Irish win over England was actually a well fought match with effort in it.

If you don't let associates play the big guns they'll not learn anything at all. Besides how well the BD has performed against big team in this WC? We might just see 8 teams in 2019 World Cup. Cricket needs to be popularized.
Cricket has done so well with just the Indian sub continent generating so much revenue for the various national boards as well as the ICC. It should learn from that, Cricket needs to compete with Football. It is still an alien game to the vast majority of the countries, including more teams should only help esp with a number of them learning to play to international standards and causing quite a few upsets (as detailed by you).

I'll be supporting the Irish. Not because I am Pakistan (or have anything against India ... which I don't). But because Irish playing good or winning is just to sweet and in-your-face for the ICC.

BTW ... you are from Bangalore. That is beautiful stadium you guys got there. So you going to the next match? Its in your city.
I just might go for the match :D

T.C.P

You are right, 15 years back Cricket was not popular in BD, and now its practically the heart of my country's sports. Cricket became huge hear after our performance in the 1999 world cup where we beat Pakistan. To stop associates from participating in the WC will ruin the huge gains cricket has made recently.

2015 should be 12 team cup (the 9 test playing teams and Zimbabwe, Ireland and Netherlands)

You know I still can't get over yesterday's match, I mean after the gains we made from 2007 onwards, I was really expecting a lot from the team especially after an awesome 2010, we might not have won that many matches last year, but in almost all the matches, we gave the bigger teams a run for their money, something we completely failed to do yesterday. Against India in the opening match we lost but played well scoring 283 against India was satisfying, but yesterday was just pathetic.....

T.C.P

Guys did you catch the awesome nail biter between England and South Africa, it was tense!

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Guys did you catch the awesome nail biter between England and South Africa, it was tense!
No. I walked out thinking England will loose after their batting. I read about their victory on Cricinfo when I went to check the Ireland-India match score.

India-Ireland match wasn't bad either. If only Ireland had made something like 230 or 250.

T.C.P

No. I walked out thinking England will loose after their batting. I read about their victory on Cricinfo when I went to check the Ireland-India match score.

India-Ireland match wasn't bad either. If only Ireland had made something like 230 or 250.
Yeah, in the previous matches the English Fielding and bowling were terrible while their batting was superb, but today it was the opposite, Pieterson, Broad and Graeme Swann in particular were superb.

On the Ireland India match, the Irish bowling was good, had it been any other team then they would have collapsed after losing so many early wickets, but India's batting line up is just unbelievably powerful.