Best Historical Movies

Best Historical Movie

• The Messege (Based on the birth of Islam)

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Ten Commandments

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Troy

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Alexander

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Jinnah (Dramatic movie on Pakistan's founder)

• Gandhi (Movie on India's founder)

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Passion of Christ (Last 12 hours of Jesus Christ's life)

• The Bible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fall of the Roman Empire

• Other (State the name in your post)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Which movie based on historical events u like most?

(Even though some of the movies in the list r purely made on commercial bases I m counting them as historical scenerio basedd movies)

yasin_khan

I like Jinnah and Gandhi because both are founder of Pakistan and India.Both of these films give complete information about them.

mysterious

Well I chose Jinnah simply because its a great movie (no bias) showing how the young Jinnah interacts with the old Jinnah and how he deals with issues surrounding him and those within himself. Simply moving!

PS: I've just moved so it'll take time before I can access the net on a regular basis and start showing my presence here at DT. Till then, stay tuned. :p

Have any of you see Alexander ?How can it not enter in Oscar competition?
I heard some history scholar from oxford university was included in production team,to make it more accurate

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The new Alexander & Troy movies r both highly commercialized movies. There focus is on Money making rather convaying the true story. Many fictional events were added in both movies.
Even the choice of actor for Alexander was wrong. If I was casting director I would choosen Jaquin Phoenix (The Gladiator, Signs, The village)...this guy has the looks for Alexander.

Temoor_A

I like "The Message". It's brilliantly made and shows the real history of Islam. Though some battles were not shown (especially the seige of Medina and engagement with Byzantine army in syria and surprisng part is that muslims won both of those battles)!

And the new "King Arthur" is very good also!

mysterious

SABRE said:
The new Alexander & Troy movies r both highly commercialized movies. There focus is on Money making rather convaying the true story. Many fictional events were added in both movies.
Still Sabre, TROY is good man. Alexander on the other hand was a total waste of my $9.25 I must say. The 'wierdest' epic movie I've ever seen (seriously). I think the director lost his own way during the movie cuz it just loses its appeal to the audience not even half way down the road. I'm waiting for this new movie to come in summer which is about Crusades (I hope its based on real history and not just machoism of the heroes of the First Crusade as only that one was somewhat successful).

Agree with TBK_PAK, King Arthur was good enough (the DVD has more action in it - buy it if u can).

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
:coffee As far as i think in movie "The Messege" many things are not shown which we read from books its a simle movie which shows only how the Islam sperad in the early ages and how the Makkah was taken by Muslims.
The second Movie i like is Jinnah caz the interacion of young Jinnah with the older one is good but when a person whose education and ideas are limited he will have to watch that movie again to take a lesson.
The third movie in my opinion is The Matrix caz the idea behind that movie is excellent,brilliant.I think that can happen in the future(may be).but that future is far far away
I also wanna mention here the movie Equilibrium it is also a movie which shown human beings future.
There is another movie too named as Time machine in this movie there is a person who develops a time machine in the time period of 1800-1900 and goes to 3000 and above i cat exectly remember that time period. Then at that time there are other living creatures develop which eat humans.Its true excitment in watching all these movies:)

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Kashif if the Mustafa Akad had shown every thing in the Messege than he would have had to make a TV series not a movie. It was about Islam, how it came, it saw & it conquered the hearts of oppressed, abused & those who were denied justice.

Jinnah was a very nice movie but it is only targeted to well educated movie watchers. Some complain for not understanding it.

Even though this movie is completely fictional but BAN-HUR does it all. Story is based in Palistaine/Israel during the time of Jesus. It has action & a strong story. It simply is hollywoods epic movie. The best to come out of Hollywood. Its so pathetic that pittyful movie such as "Titanic" shares the record of holding equal numbers of Oscars with it. Titanic is just not in the league of BAN-HUR.

A Khan

I found it hard to chose between the Message and Ghandi, both great movies, havent seen Jinnah, but only heard mix reviews of it so cant comment on it.

A film that should be on the list is Spartacus, i think thats the best "Roman empire epic ever made". Ben-Hur has one incredible scene in it (the horse racing scene, still cant believe how the made it back in those days) but other then that its too long, have seen it on tv like 5+ times only once have i seen the ending, its just too long cant see how it got 11 oscars.

Some of the Vietman war films should also be in the list: Platoon, Apocalypse now (saw a documentary on it, and it was sort of based on a true story :( ) and how come no WW2, Cold war films in the list? i know most of them are fiction but some are historical.

Another great historical film is Zapata, starring Marlon Brando and Anthony Quinn, about a mexican revolutionary (at the time of Pancho Villa).

not to be critical, but there are just too many historical films out there to be on one list...

Last edited:
I've just see Alexander, maybe a lot of people think its crap.But i think this film was'nt that bad.We can see Alexander as a complex person, he has difficult situation with his father and his mother, he was a great general who has a great dream and idea.His idea about 'equality' between Greek and Persian people maybe can't accept by his general but now 'equality' of all human being is an idea that widely accepted by all man.
I want to know what happen with the Persian after the death of Alexander, are they ruled by one of Alexander general like Egypt, or they have own-leader?

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
100 yrs before the birth of Alexander, Persians defeated the Greeks & Macidonian (Alexander was Macidonian). When Alexander was born the priest regarded him as son of Zuis (God) & his father king of Macidonia was only regarded as his care taker. The defeat by the hands of Persians 100 yes ago, motivated Alexander to avange his nations defeat be conquering the Persia. He never intended to unite Greeks & Persians. Infact after defeating the Persians when Alexander took the root to the central Asia (Now Balkan states) he found a village where every one was Greek. He was ammazed, a Greek village out side the Greece. After inquiring what these ppl were doing here he came to knw that these ppl were the direct descendents of the defeated Greek army by the hands of the Persia. Since they were not able to go back to Greece & were left behind they moved to North of Persia. The ppl welcomed Alexander as their king but that night Alexander ordered the masacre, he oredered every member of that village be killed as they reminded him of the defeated Greek army. Every man, woman & child were slaughtered. The entire village was burnt down but today their exists civilaztion at that place. The point is that Alexander hated Persians, he would never unite Greece & Persia. He would only let Greece rule it. He did leave behind his Generals to rule Persia till he returns. He than moved to cental Asia & into India.
Than Alexander also saw him self as God & Greeks & Macidonians as people blessed by him hence those who were not Greeks were inferior to him & his race, therefore they were to be prosicuted. Thats y Alexander went on from conquering nations to nations so he could bring the world under Greece & bless the Greeks with large lands & wealth of all sorts. Greece would have all the economic resources.

After his death Alexander's family was suppose to rule the Empire & Persia. But his mother was murdered & his wives (One I think was Persian & one Indian...he also had another wife I Greece I think) either died of natural cause or were murdered at young age even before they could have given birth to a child. Persians later gained independence through armed action.

fraken_14

So Alexander was kind of on a power hype. I never saw the movie so...

But I did see Troy and liked it quite abit. I think it was not as hisorical as it could have been but other than that it was still a good movie.

Guys,had you see 'Tae-guk gi" ? It was a korean movie about south-north confrontation in the 50.Not only realistic-war scene,it also has a drama like in Saving Private Ryan.It story about two brother who fight in south korean side,and how war affect their relation.
I felt the feeling when i saw Platoon for the first time.:cool:

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Did any one see "Kingdom of Heaven" the new movie based on the 2nd Crusades.
The movie had huge errors. e.g;

1. In the movie the laper king of Jerusalem is King Baldvin the 2nd while in reality it was the king Baldvin the 4th who was laper & ruled Latin kingdom of Jerusalem & had made peace with Saladin.

2. One of the kings most importent man was named Tiberias while in reality there was no such man as Tiberias. Tiberias was/is a place in Palistine. The realy person was called Raymond of Tiberias. He had been arrested by Muslim troops once & throughn into jail where he learned abt Islam, Muslims, Saladin & come to admire them. After his release he had sworn peace with Saladin.
Tiberias onceh ad suffered a great drought & Saladin sent Raymond enough water to feed his ppl.

For this Raymond came under heavy pressure by his Christian brothers who said that he had converted to Islam. Reymond had tried hard to keep his city with his christian brothers & his alliance with Saladin but he had to make a choice during the final battle of 2nd Crusades. Here Crusaders where defeated but Saladin made way for Raymond to escape. Raymond previously had tried hard to convince the new King ,Guy of Lusignan, not to go to war with Saladin in hot summers but every time he made an appeal the crusaders said that he surely has converted to Islam. To keep his alliance with his faith he had to go to an unwanted war.

Another mistake the made with Raymond in the movie was that they showed he did not go to battle while he did & escaped as mentioned above.

3. There is no such recording in history that queen Sybila loved Belian of Ablin. She very much loved Guy of Lusignan & had married him on her own will not under pressure by her mother. Infact she loved him so much that she had personaly pleaded to Saladin to let her husband, Guy of Lusignan go free which Saladin did. While in the movie she leaves the city with Belian of Ablin (the hero of the movie).

4. The hero Belian of Ablin. With him the film makers have made great errors.
They showed his wife killed her self on the death of her child while in reality she was alive & living in Jerusalem with her child. They also showed that Belian did not go to battle when he did but like Raymond he had requested not to go to war. Belian was arressted by Saladin's troops & brought back to Jerusalem as prisoner where he requested Saladin to let him go into the city to bring out his wife & child before Muslim troops take control. Saladin let him go into the city where the left over christian troops pleaded him to protect the city. He had made a promiss but wanted badly to protect the city. Belian had than sent a message to Saladin to release him from his promiss & let him take up arms. Saladin released him from his promiss.

After the fall of the wall in Jerusalem the negotitations were bit different between Saladin & Belian than the one they showed in the movie. Belian had threatened to kill all the Muslim prisoners (which were in thousands), demolish the Al-Aqsa Mosque while Saladin had earlier said he will give no mercy to christians for what they had done 88 year back to Muslims (& Jews). Saladin later told Belian that he will allow europeans to leave the city in a safe conduct but they'll have to pay the tax to leave. In the beggining rich payed tak/toll & left the city while poor where later allowed to go for free. Some were bought by Muslim noble men as slaved & let free this includes Saladin's brother who did so.

Belian left with his child & wife not queen Sybila.Queen Sybila had united with her husband Guy of Lusignan.

5. This I am not so sure of. Reynold De Chattlon did attack Saladin's sister's caravan but I dont knw if he had killed her cause Saladin had requested her live retuen not a dead body when in movie he asks for the body. According to historians after the fall of the holy city Saladin's sister sent rose water to him to clean & purify the Al-Aqsa mosque where crusaders had made a church. I dont know if she was the same sister or he had another one.

Well I think holywood filmmaker usually don't take a complete story of the event and add some fake event in the real history to make it more dramatic, like what happen in 'King Arthur'.But i think Ridley Scott has try hard to portray what happen in that era.Just like what he did with 'Black Hawk Down'

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
pasukangeraktjepat said:
Well I think holywood filmmaker usually don't take a complete story of the event and add some fake event in the real history to make it more dramatic, like what happen in 'King Arthur'.But i think Ridley Scott has try hard to portray what happen in that era.Just like what he did with 'Black Hawk Down'
What happened in the black hawk down i have seen this movie i could not understand the whole story how it begins and where it ends i dont get time to watch movies caz i am busy in my work there i have seen that the US troops were in some kind of Pakistani stadium and which country aginst they were doing war i think we have only provided our land and bases for only the Afghanistan and Iraqi missions

If i'm not mistaken, i saw that movie 2 years ago, it was USA against Somalia.The USA commander want to arrest some Somalian leader, thay were succeed but some of GI were left behind.Start with the falling Black Hawk Down (codename Super Six One if my memory were correct).US commander first try send The Delta Force two pick the remaining GI and destroy the falling helo.To evacuate all of his army out of the hostile area, the US commander ask for back-up from Malaysian and Pakistan UN force.