Would Pakistan assist Syria & Iran if an attack occurs

Would Pakistan make use of itself and assist Syria & Iran if they are attacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibizan Hound

Banned Member
Just curious because Pakistan stated they were scared after 9/11 because the whole world was with the United States then. But Pervez stated he would help Iran if ISRAEL attacked but claimed to be neutral if the United States attacked Iran. But if they are next why wait in line?

USNavySEAL3310

Historically they've been a U.S. ally, as in the Soviet-Afghan war and subsequently after the 9/11 attacks by helping to fight Mid-East terrorism in their country, as well as by publicly ending their support for the Taliban.

However, tensions arose after sanctions were applied by the U.S. in response to Pakistan's nuclear programs, in the mid '90s I think it was.

Considering their issues with India, I don't think they would back down on their front with India to pursue some offensive plans against or with other Mid-East countries. They would probably become stubborn about lowering their military strength with regards to India and so would not be able to or want to raise the resources necessary to create a second 'front'. However, I will say I don't know their strengths in comparison to other Mid-East countries such as Iran or Asian countries such as India so I can't say for sure if they would have the power to commit resources to another conflict.

There is the very unlikely possibility, but a possibility nonetheless, that the regional conflict could possibly be the diversion that Pakistan would need to seize the Kashmir region that they have been longing for. Though I think that doubtful as it would have post-conflict consequences, especially since the two great powers in the region, China and India, will have noticed the seizure.

However, I would have to say that I think they would remain neutral, at least in the early stages, in the conflict.

Last edited:

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Pakistan has a moderate leader, but a fanatical Regional base. If Pakistan were to go against the US, then India would be supported by america in Kashmir, and any attack by India in the future would see US support, at the moment, both have good relations with the US, and this is why they do not take sides in the border conflicts.
Pakistan would need to weigh up the consequences of taking side, and may see that Neutraliity is the best option in the long run.
If Israel did attack Iran, then the US would also call neutral, as helping the "Zionist dogs" would not go well with the Saudis, Egyptians, Syrians, Iraqis, and about another 20 or so Middle Eastern Countries.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just curious because Pakistan stated they were scared after 9/11 because the whole world was with the United States then. But Pervez stated he would help Iran if ISRAEL attacked but claimed to be neutral if the United States attacked Iran. But if they are next why wait in line?
They would stay neutral, too much to lose, the only help that he would give Iran is lip service.

USNavySEAL3310

I agree. I think they would initially stay neutral, perhaps deciding to lean a little towards the U.S.'s side later on.

Unless their leader is a strong follower of his, Iran's, and Syria's religion, decides to take up the Jihad, and goes with the decision to back his fellow Muslim countries. Though, it may not seem the most reasonable thing to do with key countries backing the U.S.'s side (i.e. Israel, presumably British). They would gain a shaky alliance with Iran and it's nuclear program and lose any chance of peaceful relations happening anytime soon with the western countries.

Ibizan Hound

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I heard Pakistan's neck was eyed by the U.S. as being next on the chopping-block anyway. The US even launched a cruisemissile in Pakistan though pakistan claimed they launched it. Wouldn't it be wise of Pervez to fight while he has SOME help against the U.S.? The India conflict is silly. Pakistan can't afford a decent environment for Pakistanians why fight to oppress MORE people. Syria, Iran and Pakistan is a now or never safety-net for Pakistan. When the Big dogs are gon' Pakistan will be between the U.S. and India. The uS is taking away the ones in the know 1st, then killing their allies last. They said Iran will be dealt with diplomatically when Iraq was here. Now that Iraq is gon' they are talking war. Don't trust the U.S. If Iran was not an issue, Pakistan would be under the gun. After all they are in the U.S. scope for selling saudi Arabia weapons grade uranium as well as the insurgency problem. I think you guys are right, but it would have more to gain if it was by Iran's and Syria's side than waiting 'til it's the last man standing.:)

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I heard Pakistan's neck was eyed by the U.S. as being next on the chopping-block anyway. The US even launched a cruisemissile in Pakistan though pakistan claimed they launched it. Wouldn't it be wise of Pervez to fight while he has SOME help against the U.S.? The India conflict is silly. Pakistan can't afford a decent environment for Pakistanians why fight to oppress MORE people. Syria, Iran and Pakistan is a now or never safety-net for Pakistan. When the Big dogs are gon' Pakistan will be between the U.S. and India. The uS is taking away the ones in the know 1st, then killing their allies last. They said Iran will be dealt with diplomatically when Iraq was here. Now that Iraq is gon' they are talking war. Don't trust the U.S. If Iran was not an issue, Pakistan would be under the gun. After all they are in the U.S. scope for selling saudi Arabia weapons grade uranium as well as the insurgency problem. I think you guys are right, but it would have more to gain if it was by Iran's and Syria's side than waiting 'til it's the last man standing.:)
Pakistan has more to worry about with India then with the U.S. If Islamic radicals were to over throw the government of Pakistan then we would go in, we would have no choice with all the nukes that Pakistan has.

aaaditya

i believe you are referring to the tomahawk attack by usa on afghanistan,the missiles were launched from sea to destroy targets in afghanistan and so they had to overfly over pakistani terriotery,offcourse the usa did not bother to ask the pakistani government's permission for the missile overflight over its terriotery.

contedicavour

Honestly we see current Pakistan as a bulwark against extremist islamists and as a key component in the league of countries isolating unsavoury regimes in Iran and Syria.
The problem is that the current government in Pakistan relies a bit too much on Gen Musharraf, and that if he were to fall, there would be a big risk that the opposition would be more made of Islamist radicals than of the democratic mainstream parties such as Bhutto's or the AML-Q (not sure the initials are all correct).
For the moment, the US are ready to go at great lengths to prop up the current government, and would never do anything against it, precisely out of fear of what could come afterwards.

cheers

LancerMc

Honestly we see current Pakistan as a bulwark against extremist islamists and as a key component in the league of countries isolating unsavoury regimes in Iran and Syria.
The problem is that the current government in Pakistan relies a bit too much on Gen Musharraf, and that if he were to fall, there would be a big risk that the opposition would be more made of Islamist radicals than of the democratic mainstream parties such as Bhutto's or the AML-Q (not sure the initials are all correct).
For the moment, the US are ready to go at great lengths to prop up the current government, and would never do anything against it, precisely out of fear of what could come afterwards.
I am in complete agreement with contedicavour. Their government under President Musharraf is essentially trying to balance the Islamic fundamentalists with their pro-western government. Why hasn't Pakistan been more cooperative in the search for Osama Bin Laden in their territories near the Afghan border? If Musharraf helps American forces or sends in his own troops and/or kills or captures Bin Laden, his government will topple. Musharraf has always hidden or denied that amount of pro-Bin Laden support in Pakistan. If he ever helped or brought down the terrorist leader, I think he would probably be assassinated shortly after.

In the case of an American attack on Syria or Iran, I would think as a Muslim nation, Pakistan would probably use a light denouncement of the attacks as a normal political strategy. Musharraf would appease the hard-line Muslims in Pakistan while also telling the U.S. that he still their ally.

sparten

Hi, one of my first posts.
I don't think pakistan would do anything if Iran is attacked. The present political climate means that a condemnation of an attack on Iran is necessry. But, there is no great desire in Pakistan to defend Iran, either in the establishment or in the general public.

Somebody spoke about religion. Iranians are Shia, Pakistan is a Sunni majority with a large Shia minority. However the realtionship dynamics are rather different here, in the ME Shia means Iraninan, which means Persia, which of course has historic connatations. Here Shia/Sunni means; nothing, at least not politically.

Finally I don't think the chance of an islamic revolution is there, fundamental difference is that

1) The country is already an Islamic republic, taking the wind out of the sails of any would revolutionary,

2) The religious parties are pretty divided themselves.

ghanz

i don't think pakistan will help iran directly if it is attacked, but they will help them throw their back channels. Pakistan has alot of shia population and if pakistan supports the agressor on iran , it can face a civil war. Pakistan doesn't need anymore enemies then it already has. Pakistan already has open a second front with afghanistan, which is streching their army.

Ibizan Hound

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi, one of my first posts.
I don't think pakistan would do anything if Iran is attacked. The present political climate means that a condemnation of an attack on Iran is necessry. But, there is no great desire in Pakistan to defend Iran, either in the establishment or in the general public.
Neither is it Iran's interest to protect Syria but they are being targeted one by one. What will pakistan do when it's the only one left??

usmanz

Pakistan will not be left alone after Syria and Iran are dealt with. Pakistan's relationship with China is growing stronger, despite US efforts to undermine them. So Chinese will find it to be in their interest to defend Pakistan and have an ally in this part of the region. Pakistanis have great faith in China, they continue to strengthen their relationship with China despite being overwhelmed by US pressure on all fronts.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Pakistan will not be left alone after Syria and Iran are dealt with. Pakistan's relationship with China is growing stronger, despite US efforts to undermine them. So Chinese will find it to be in their interest to defend Pakistan and have an ally in this part of the region. Pakistanis have great faith in China, they continue to strengthen their relationship with China despite being overwhelmed by US pressure on all fronts.
China would not help Pakistan Directly in a war between them and U,S and A, but would more then likely supply them with cheap weapons and Support Cold war style. The US would'nt even risk attacking Pakistan, its even harder to control then Iraq and Afghanistan, plus why would they need to add them to their target list, surely this would be longer then the Flock of Evil.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
China would not help Pakistan Directly in a war between them and U,S and A, but would more then likely supply them with cheap weapons and Support Cold war style. The US would'nt even risk attacking Pakistan, its even harder to control then Iraq and Afghanistan, plus why would they need to add them to their target list, surely this would be longer then the Flock of Evil.
Just because we went into Iraq doesn`t mean that we have a knock you off list for every country that we don`t see eye to eye with, we have our hands full as it is with Iraq, If Iran starts building nukes then that may be a different story in regards to them, if this happens Syria, Pakistan will stay out of it, do you really think that they want a another country in the middle east to have nuke capibility especially Iran.

USNavySEAL3310

No. But the U.S. can't control every country out there that builds nuclear weapons without it's liking. If Iran begins producing nuclear weapons and the U.S. goes in, I would be a little surprised to see Syria begin supporting Iran, but it's not a far-fetched idea either. Pakistan, in my opinon, would stay out of it completely early on.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
No. But the U.S. can't control every country out there that builds nuclear weapons without it's liking. If Iran begins producing nuclear weapons and the U.S. goes in, I would be a little surprised to see Syria begin supporting Iran, but it's not a far-fetched idea either. Pakistan, in my opinon, would stay out of it completely early on.
Syria has a military agreement with Iran, but they are not that crazy, they can`t even handle the Isrealis. Look - you cannot tell the world that you want to wipe out another country and expect people to sit idle while you build bombs to achieve that goal, do you really think that Saudi Arabia or Egypt wants to see Iran with nukes, this will be a bad situation for every Middle Eastern power that is over there. Let me ask you this - knowing that Iran hates America and Isreal do you feel safe that they will not hand out a nuke to a terrorist organization, we as a world cannot sit idle on taking a chance. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.