World Armed Forces and Militaries Ranked... not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fylr71

Ranking countries based on training, motivation, and equipment.

1. US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, as well as Western European countries, and Israel have proven themselves in combat recently.

2. On paper Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, and South Korea appear to be formidable however the former two hav not seen combat since WW 2 and the latter two haven't seen serious combat since Vietnam.

3. India performed very well in the Kargali war but I don't believe their training standards are as high as western armies, also some of their equipment is outdated.

4. China and Pakistan also look good on paper but the Chinese army hasn't seen combat since the Sino-Vietnamese war in 1979 in which their performance was not impressive. Pakistan didn't perform especially well in the Kargali war, but does have a suprising modern tank force.

Ozzy Blizzard

We might need regime change in luxembourg!!! If their WMD program is as powerfull as their military we might have WW3 on our hands!!!!:p:

fylr71

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Waylander said:
New Zealand and equipment...;)
Of the types equipment that New Zealand has (mostly light) the NZLAV is one of the best wheeled AFVs available.

The protector class OPVs will be excellent at what they are designed for (coastal patrol)

The Anzac frigate is known to be a quality ship

The air force even though it doesn't operate any combat aircraft did just purchase the NH-90

I'm sure that if New Zealand had to, it would send its troops abroad and they would almost certainly perform admirably as they did in two world wars.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
You do realize that the Vatican has a militia consisting of religious, halberdwielding fanatics. Imagine if they were let loose on the rest of the world!

:shudder
Nope, the Vatican doesn't have a militia. You're thinking of the Swiss Guard.:D Those are they guys in colourful tights and floppy hats with the halberds. They've been guarding the Vatican ever since the Swiss weren't allowed to provide mercenary armies in the 16th century.

Ozzy Blizzard

So there crewed by NATO personell, and stationed at NATO bases? Why would member nations want to register their assets under another flagg? Tax dodge???:unknown

Ozzy Blizzard

Nope, the Vatican doesn't have a militia. You're thinking of the Swiss Guard.:D Those are they guys in colourful tights and floppy hats with the halberds. They've been guarding the Vatican ever since the Swiss weren't allowed to provide mercenary armies in the 16th century.
I heard they've got a kick ass CTU. Allthough i think MP5's would be more usefull than pikes!:D

Grand Danois

Entertainer
So there crewed by NATO personell, and stationed at NATO bases? Why would member nations want to register their assets under another flagg? Tax dodge???:unknown
They felt sorry for Luxembourg? :D

I guess it was a practical measure. Luxembourg not having an air force...

Wonder if they get to buy tax free on those flights...?

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Alright, alright. So they're not a militia. Fashion challenged people can be dangerous too. Just think of Kim Jong-Il.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
fylr71 said:
Waylander said:
New Zealand and equipment...;)
Of the types equipment that New Zealand has (mostly light) the NZLAV is one of the best wheeled AFVs available.

The protector class OPVs will be excellent at what they are designed for (coastal patrol)

The Anzac frigate is known to be a quality ship

The air force even though it doesn't operate any combat aircraft did just purchase the NH-90

I'm sure that if New Zealand had to, it would send its troops abroad and they would almost certainly perform admirably as they did in two world wars.;)
Despite the comments, there isn't really any question that NZ personnel are first rate, particularly the NZSAS, little though anyone hears about them. The comment had more to do I think with the quantity and range of equipment NZ fields.

Things are getting better for the NZDF, but unless conducting low-level conflict operations, are not able operate without assistance from allies. As for the NZLAV... In the grand scheme of things, it's not really all that great a vehicle. It doesn't have the armour to function as an IFV, and it is questionable if it could really be used as an APC. Keep in mind the vehicle is vulnerable to everything from 0.50 cal. AP rounds and up. As for the Protector class OPV, that is more or less an EEZ/law enforcement patrol vessel. Armed in fact with the same gun as on the NZLAV, a 25mm Bushmaster. Not a combat vessel in other words.

NZ has a great deal of potentential, you might want to see this thread
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5281
It has a fair amount of discussion on different way to strengthen or improve the NZDF.

Last edited by a moderator:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Alright, alright. So they're not a militia. Fashion challenged people can be dangerous too. Just think of Kim Jong-Il.
I think Kim Jong-Il is related to Don King... That would make the hair genetic rather than a daring fashion statement.:eek:nfloorl:

As for the Swiss Guard with their halberds and MP-5s. I'd rather get shot with an MP-5, kevlar can stop a 9mm. That big pigsticker though... That's the sort of thing used to pin people to a display tray like a butterfly. :wink:

-Cheers

Ozzy Blizzard

Yeah, a bunch of Swiss men wearing red and yellow pajamas with funny caps brandishing big shinny pikes screaming in latin would scare me more than a CTU. You'd think they were about to give you the treatment and you'd end up without a body stuck on a pole in the popes private chambers, so you'd have to listen too him practice all of his surmens for eternity. Thats nighmare material.:D

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
And they have kick arse drum drill team.

"Article 58.1 of the 1999 constitution repeats that the army is "in principle" organized as a militia, implicitly allowing a small number of professional soldiers"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Switzerland

After the May 13, 1981 assassination attempt on Pope John Paul II by Mehmet Ali Agca, a much stronger emphasis has been made of the Swiss Guards' functional, non-ceremonial roles. This has included extended training in unarmed combat and with issue SIG P 75 pistols (a.k.a. P220) and Heckler & Koch submachine-guns.

Swiss guard would be better then British Palace Guards, you can smile and fart without any problems:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.