India needs 3 more aircraft carriers: Navy chief

Mukesh Patel

Does it really?

India needs 3 more aircraft carriers: Navy chief

Ezhimala, Apr 07 - The Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Madhavendra Singh, said that India which at present had a lone aircraft carrier needed three more. Laying the foundation stone for a Rs 60 crore officers' married accommodation at the Ezhimala Naval Academy, Singh said the work on building an aircraft carrier at the Cochin shipyard at an estimated cost of Rs 3000 crore was progressing well.
Emphasising the need for an even more powerful naval force, he said Indian Navy required a fleet of submarines and destroyer ships in view of the growing threat perception. Besides, the government was holding negotiations with Russia to purchase a second hand aircraft carrier, he said.

To a question, he said India would continue its interactions with the United States on matters relating to the country's naval requirements.

Asserting that the Indian Navy was fully prepared to protect the country's maritime interests, the Naval Chief said the responsibilities of the naval forces was growing day by day.

"The government is fully conscious of the fact that the responsibilities of the navy is growing day by day and that is why it is sanctioning certain new naval projects," Singh said.

http://www.sunnt.com/news/regional/kerala/kerala.asp?id=7375

Mukesh Patel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
India is a regional power and for a power to be effective force it needs all the goodies it can get to apply that force! I say we get three more or two more!

Bharat_R

BTW we could afford it especially when it costs 600 billion which is cheap for an ACC. That's about 1.8+.7 billion = 2.5 billion for 4 ACC, the .7 billion carrier is the Gorshkov that will be purchased from Russia.

2much4ya

sounds silly... what is india going to do with 4 a/cs? use them as shelters for the poor would be a nice idea.

Bharat_R

Poor, ha... Pakistan is more poor then India, I wouldn't be talking. If you're Chinese its a different story.

Destroyer

It's a little different for both countries. In Pakistan the public is very rich while the goverment isn't up to par. In India the goverment is rich and not so smart with their riches as they continue to spent almost without thinking and not funding diseases prevention programs in India, which can help it improve the living stability of the country.

Bharat_R

Here you go again, please we don't have to make up claims. Many Pakistanis live in India, ask them why? Because India's richer then Pakistan. Sure we got a 24% poverty rate, but is Pakistan's rate any better, its actually worse. BTW India spends 2.5% on defence, while Pakistan spends 4-6% of its GDP on defence.

NARC

Firstly, Bharat_R, i wouldnt belive everything u hear, especially from an indian government that wants to make the otherside look bad, i.e. we spend less on defence yet we are caperble.....

2.5% IS BULLS***, every1 knows that especially nowadays, after india has made its intentions clear to become a top military power in the region, u dont buy su-30, brahmos missiles and subs not to mention the rest of the stuff u love to buy, and keep a defence budjit so low, im amazed that any1 could belive that. Remember u r also competing against china, aswell as paks.

Secoundly, its all fine n dandy saying we want 3 more ACs, but these must be filled up with naval fighters (more spending), mainatance and repairs (more spending and not exactly indias fine side is it(MIG 21s)...), dont forget india does not really need them, coz paks is rite next door, and an attack would come instantly from both sides on that matter, however if ur getting them to deter the chinise....well think again, coz the chinise got a tomahwk criuse missile copy, and can luanch these from all fronts.

wewe1

Firstly, Bharat_R, i wouldnt belive everything u hear, especially from an indian government that wants to make the otherside look bad, i.e. we spend less on defence yet we are caperble.....
couldnt u say the same for pakistan?

xtech

Both countries spend too much while their people starve and remain uneducated. If India was just willing to compromise on Kashmir you could see some beautiful things happen between both countries for the benefit of both. The South Asian Connection would be kicking ass once again!

Nucleas

ullu said:
Yeah go ahead... waste your money. :D :D :D

What is the need for you guys to waste money on FC-1 and other stuff etc... Feed your poor instead... India is on the way to become economic power and you guys got a long way to go to to be able to stop begging... :smokingc: :smokingc:

xtech

India a power? Oh please, they are just as bad as Pakistan. The only reason they are an economic powerhouse is because of the sheer amount of people they have. I'm sure if Pakistani couples made more babies it'd become an economic powerhouse in your terms. 40% of Indian's live below the poverty line.

NARC

My friends, i have an indian as a neighbour, i mean literally he is a sikh thou, and he keeps telling me that india is another iraq...lol, when i asked him to explain, he said well they want more and more power and they are doing very little for thier pple.

He says India has enough deterence against pakistan(which i agree too) yet they want more and more, this craving for more will eventually bring them down, is wat he says. I've mentioned the forum to him, and who knows u mite all hear from him your selfs.

I wonder why cant more indians be like him, espicially pple like Advani and those other hardliners.

And no, i dont agree that india is a powerhouse in economy, sure it is miles better then paks, but real economies dont let tyhier pple starve, look at the US or France.

Winter

The Royal Navy's 3 Invincible carriers are retiring soon to be replaced with a new class. Perhaps one or two may follow in Hermes' footsteps?

Su_37

I don;t know what you people talking about .

1) India has 100Billion $ in its reserve. and Pakistan will have max 5 Billion it its reserve and that is due to pumping from USA.

2) India spends 2.5 to 3.0 % of GDP on defence ,

Pakistan 5 - 6 % of GDP on defence
China 12% of its GDP on defence , which expects down and think it spends more.

3) Indian people are more rich then anyother. Indian people have worlds 80% of gold in homes.

Indian economy is growing day by day , indian professionals making susess in IT , and manufactuing and R&D field.

I don;t think pakistan economy is compariable with Indian economy . YOU can't compaire one of the most scuess and one of the failure.

ullu

SU-37, don't misquote:

"1) India has 100Billion $ in its reserve. and Pakistan will have max 5 Billion it its reserve and that is due to pumping from USA."

Pakistan has 12+ billion in its reserves.

"Pakistan 5 - 6 % of GDP on defence "

Pakistan spends 3% of GDP on defence!
Damn you indians and your lame tricks to leak misinformation!

India is three times bigger than Pakistan of course with bigger economy, more poor people and more people living below poverty line!

:roll