Vatican City Swiss guards

Ozzy Blizzard

Ive only ever seen them in 16th century uniform holding pikes! Do they even have firearms? Or do they have some kick ass CTU team that no one knows about?

isthvan

Ozzy Blizzard said:
Ive only ever seen them in 16th century uniform holding pikes! Do they even have firearms? Or do they have some kick ass CTU team that no one knows about?
IIRC they use Beretta 92 handguns and Mp5 SMG (I remember seeing documentary few years ago)…

merocaine

Seen a Docu on the T.V, There pretty much a crack unit pleged to defend the Pope to the death.

"I swear to faithfully, honestly and honorably serve the reigning Pope [name of Pope] and his legitimate successors, and to dedicate myself to them with all my strength, ready to sacrifice, should it become necessary, even my own life for them. I likewise assume this promise toward the members of the Sacred College of Cardinals during the period of the Sede Vacante of the Apostolic See. Furthermore, I pledge to the Commandant and to my other superiors respect, fidelity, and obedience. I swear to abide by all the requirements attendant to the dignity of my rank."

They use SIG P 75 pistols (a.k.a. P220) and Heckler & Koch submachine-guns.
and lots of hand to hand combat.

long live usa

Ozzy Blizzard said:
are the guys holding the pikes(are they just there for show?) the same ones that use the MP5s?maybe they have them hidden in those big hats they wear!:eek :ar15

vedang

try it....

;) for further refrence plzz refer to "ANGELS&DEMONS" by DAN BROWN....pretty impressive stuff written bout them in this book..... :D .

Big-E

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
vedang said:
;) for further refrence plzz refer to "ANGELS&DEMONS" by DAN BROWN....pretty impressive stuff written bout them in this book..... :D .
I'm looking for facts, not fiction... thanks anyway:dance2

blackjar

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_guard

Today the Swiss Guard is not considered to belong to any larger force, but is instead the army of the sovereign state of the Vatican. The force is specifically limited to one hundred soldiers and consists of four officers, 23 NCOs, 70 halberdiers, 2 drummers, and a chaplain, all with an equivalent Italian army rank. Not only are the guards fully trained and equipped in modern tactics and weaponry, they also receive instructions in using the sword and halberd. The ceremonial weapon of the Guard is the halberd. [1]

The guards must be Catholic males with Swiss citizenship who have completed basic training with the Swiss military and can obtain certificates of good conduct. Recruits must be between 19 and 30 years of age and at least 174 cm (5'9") tall.

Qualified candidates must apply to serve. If accepted, new guards are sworn in every May 6 in the San Damaso Courtyard (Italian: Cortile di San Damaso) in the Vatican. (May 6 is the anniversary of the Sack of Rome.)

The term of service is between two and 25 years. The official dress uniform is of blue, red, orange and yellow with a distinctly Renaissance appearance. A common misconception is that the dress uniform was designed by Michelangelo. In fact, guard commander Jules Repond created the present uniforms in 1914, taking inspiration from the work of the painter Raphael. The working uniform is more functional and consists of blue coveralls and a black beret. Original colors (blue and yellow) were issued by Pope Julius II taking his family (Della Rovere) colors: Pope Leo X added the red.

After the May 13, 1981 assassination attempt on Pope John Paul II by Mehmet Ali Agca, a much stronger emphasis has been made of the Swiss Guards' functional, non-ceremonial roles. This has included extended training in unarmed combat and with issue SIG P 75 pistols (a.k.a. P220) and Heckler & Koch submachine-guns.

Source : http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/swiss_guard/swissguard/compiti_en.htm

Daily Life:
At this point we should take a look at the normal routine of the Guard's day. Every day two thirds of the staff are engaged in mounting guard at the entrances to the Apostolic Palace. That is in the Courtyard of St. Damaso, the Belvedere Courtyard, on the floors of the various "Loggias", in the Sala Regia, in front of the Secretary of State offices, and also in front of the entrance to the Pope's private apartment, as well as at the external entrances, which are the Petrine Gate (formerly the Holy Office gate) at the Arch of the Bells, the Bronze Door and the St. Anna Gate. The Guard serves not only as a Guard of Honour but also keep order every time the Pope is in public, that is for liturgical celebrations in St. Peter's Basilica, at the General Audiences, during visits to the Pope by Heads of States or Governments, Foreign Ministers and Ambassadors. However, the day is not only given to these official duties; there is also the life of the Guard itself, that requires a series of inspections, briefings, marches and shooting practice. And of course time must be found for various group activities: the band, drums, choir and last but not least, sport: soccer matches against other Vatican teams such as the Vatican Security Corps, table-tennis and courses in self-defence. With all this physical and mental activity by relatively young men, it is obvious that the Quarters need a well run kitchen to provide for the Guard members in the most suitable manner. This task is admirably carried out by the Albertine Sisters, Servants of God. By way of conclusion, it would seem appropriate to mention that, once their service has ended, all those who have served with whatever title or grade in the Swiss Guard in the Vatican, remain in close contact with each other through the "Ex-Guardsmann Association" which publishes a regular bulletin, the "Exgardist". The members gather periodically for regional and federal meetings, and the latter are usually, if possible, attended by the Commandant and the Chaplain. However, the most important meeting is the one which takes place in the Vatican every year on May 6th, on the occasion of the "Swearing in" of the new recruits. Around them, on that day, hundreds of people come and go in the Guard's Quarters; relatives of the Guards in service as well as many ex-Guardsmen and their families pass a day of true and festive friendship.