US Navy and Air force deaths?

rjmaz1

Hi im wondering if anyone knows the exact number of deaths in the US military for the last 10-20 years. This includes GW1, Kosovo, GW2 and war on terror.

1) How many US Airforce pilots have been killed in combat?

2) How many Navy/Marine pilots have been killed in combat?

3) How many US army helicopter pilots and crew been killed?

4) How many sailors on US ships have been killed due to missile or aircraft attack?

Im curious to see if the US Airforce and Navy are wasting billions on updating its equipment. If the deaths can be counted on one hand then they are indeed wasting money on updating equipment when they are light years ahead of the current and past enemy.

Last question, how many army and marine personel on the ground have died due to the Navy and Airforce taking all the money for expensive assets? 5,000? 10,000 dead?

Big-E

Banned Member
Im curious to see if the US Airforce and Navy are wasting billions on updating its equipment. If the deaths can be counted on one hand then they are indeed wasting money on updating equipment when they are light years ahead of the current and past enemy.

Last question, how many army and marine personel on the ground have died due to the Navy and Airforce taking all the money for expensive assets? 5,000? 10,000 dead?
You seem to forget that the USMC is a division of the Navy and it's funding flows thru the same channels. SECNAV has appropriated lots of funds for new USMC purchases. There is no equipment available that the Marine Corps needs that they're not getting... the simple fact of the matter is the USMC is not an occupation force. Since Rumsfeld's resignation I can say his use of the Corps has been misplaced. The Army should be doing interior ground ops, not the Corps.

You are complaining about the USN and USAF sucking up all the funding but have you actually looked at the budgets for FY 2006? I didn't think so... go take a look at the figures and tell me if your complaints are still justified.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
You are complaining about the USN and USAF sucking up all the funding but have you actually looked at the budgets for FY 2006? I didn't think so... go take a look at the figures and tell me if your complaints are still justified.
Straight, all the major cuts are coming from the USAF and USN budgets, Caps on Raptors, C17's of all things, Space programs have been slashed, the navy has San Antonio's cut from 12 - 9, DD(X) CG(X) underthreat, reduction of a carrier, cuts in MHCs, MCM's, Submarines are being decommed faster than they are being replaced, Carrier air wings are at an all time low in numbers etc etc, the Army is the one getting the kit, I'm not disagreeing as the resetting and up armouring is of course needed but...

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
But what?
Do you remember the pictures of GIs putting old steel plates onto their Humvees, not enough gunshields, etc.
If I look at how many well suited ground vehicles, personal gear, advanced fire support, etc. I can get by scrapping just a small amount of ships and planes.

Big-E

Banned Member
But what?
Do you remember the pictures of GIs putting old steel plates onto their Humvees, not enough gunshields, etc.
If I look at how many well suited ground vehicles, personal gear, advanced fire support, etc. I can get by scrapping just a small amount of ships and planes.

Every appropriation the Congress has been asked to make has been passed. There has not been a lack of funding for the Army on armor or anything else for that matter. HUMVs aren't going to stand up to RPGs no matter how much armor you put on it. There have been enough kits sent over to equip all the front line vehicles x2. It isn't going to stop an IED which is by far the biggest killer. Body armor is no different, it isn't fesible to equip everyone with class IV body armour. They get what they need for the duty assigned. If you noticed fire fight mortality rates are rather low... again it's the IEDs driving up the kill ratios. Unless you stick them in an Abrahms they will always be in danger.

I think we have gotten too far into the "life is too precious to lose" mentality. That is why we are losing this war to begin with. The popular culture is so used to low casualty figures they forgot the REAL cost of a REAL war. They are so swayed by the loss of 100 servicemen a month they will turn to "strategic redeployment". They forget the casualties of WII and Vietnam when we would lose 100 men in a matter of seconds. The only way to defeat the enemy is to crush their will. It's time to take the gloves off.

momtina

military equipment. There was a show on TV THAT SHOWED LINEX used for truck cabs.

Every appropriation the Congress has been asked to make has been passed. There has not been a lack of funding for the Army on armor or anything else for that matter. HUMVs aren't going to stand up to RPGs no matter how much armor you put on it. There have been enough kits sent over to equip all the front line vehicles x2. It isn't going to stop an IED which is by far the biggest killer. Body armor is no different, it isn't fesible to equip everyone with class IV body armour. They get what they need for the duty assigned. If you noticed fire fight mortality rates are rather low... again it's the IEDs driving up the kill ratios. Unless you stick them in an Abrahms they will always be in danger.

I think we have gotten too far into the "life is too precious to lose" mentality. That is why we are losing this war to begin with. The popular culture is so used to low casualty figures they forgot the REAL cost of a REAL war. They are so swayed by the loss of 100 servicemen a month they will turn to "strategic redeployment". They forget the casualties of WII and Vietnam when we would lose 100 men in a matter of seconds. The only way to defeat the enemy is to crush their will. It's time to take the gloves off.
LINEX MADE WALLS BOMB PROOF WHY not use it on Military VEHICLES!!!!!!!!

Big-E

Banned Member
It's useless on vehicles that ar ein a blast radius. It is used to keep material from fragmenting, it is just like putting a thin layer of rubber on it to hold it together. It's good to keep wooden timbers form splintering into barbs but your still deadmeat in the blast radius.

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
What is this guy, a rep for the company, the simple answer is no!
Big E has a point, no one knows real casualties unless you were around during WW2, where the number of lives lost today would be more stunning in that they have lost so few.
The only reason there is no big arse backlash here is that we have only lost one person in Iraq, and that was under unusual non-combat related reasons.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
But what?
Whoops that was rather weird way to finish, apologies I wrote that just before I went to sleep,
To clarify:
My point was that the USN & USAF were facing larger cuts and the US Army not so much. Certainly the budget distribution is not to the degree that supports the premise of the thread, don't get me wrong, the idea that there are US charitable groups who supply kit upgrades to troops is outrageous, the fact the US DOD actually advertise's this on their site as support for troops makes me angry. It's ironic to me that Gun trucks and and M1's for Urban ops are back in vogue. The but was the Army to me seemed to be getting a larger cut than even the resetting reconditioning and up amouring, though its possibly only my perception.

momtina

Linex

It's useless on vehicles that ar ein a blast radius. It is used to keep material from fragmenting, it is just like putting a thin layer of rubber on it to hold it together. It's good to keep wooden timbers form splintering into barbs but your still deadmeat in the blast radius.
Worked to keep concrete from breaking seems worth trying on humvees. This is used on boats already in private use. Just thought you might try useing ut you never know unless you do on one. If it saves just one life dont you think its at least worth a try. Thnkyou for listening

Last edited:

momtina

Worked to keep concrete from breaking seems worth trying on humvees. This is used on boats already in private use. Just thought you might try useing ut you never know unless you do on one. If it saves just one life dont you think its at least worth a try. Thnkyou for listening
Not a salesman for the company. Just a Proud Navy Mom and a Proud Air Force Mom in Law. Saw this in tv just thought it might help save some childs father or moms life. Seems that someone could check other uses for this product. The military uses it in other ways whh not try vehicles. Tanks, trucks,humvees? The news show that showed this it was sprayed on concrete block walls. A bomb was exploded right outside the wall it did not fall or shatter the dummy next to it stayed seated. I think this is worth a try. Easy to transport its a spray. Used in truck beds so widely found around the nation. Thankyou for listening.

momtina

Navy DIDNT waste money

You seem to forget that the USMC is a division of the Navy and it's funding flows thru the same channels. SECNAV has appropriated lots of funds for new USMC purchases. There is no equipment available that the Marine Corps needs that they're not getting... the simple fact of the matter is the USMC is not an occupation force. Since Rumsfeld's resignation I can say his use of the Corps has been misplaced. The Army should be doing interior ground ops, not the Corps.

There is a big chance of Korea not a little threat. The other military personel need to be just as ready. Shame there isnt enough money to go around. These and all military should be pertected. Thats why I places my quote later on about the Linex it made walls bomb proof. Seems the military uses it already. They have it so why not try it on a humvee or truck or military baricks we have in Iraq and see if it helps save lives?? Just want to help.

Big-E

Banned Member
Not a salesman for the company. Just a Proud Navy Mom and a Proud Air Force Mom in Law. Saw this in tv just thought it might help save some childs father or moms life. Seems that someone could check other uses for this product. The military uses it in other ways whh not try vehicles. Tanks, trucks,humvees? The news show that showed this it was sprayed on concrete block walls. A bomb was exploded right outside the wall it did not fall or shatter the dummy next to it stayed seated. I think this is worth a try. Easy to transport its a spray. Used in truck beds so widely found around the nation. Thankyou for listening.
There is a big chance of Korea not a little threat. The other military personel need to be just as ready. Shame there isnt enough money to go around. These and all military should be pertected. Thats why I places my quote later on about the Linex it made walls bomb proof. Seems the military uses it already. They have it so why not try it on a humvee or truck or military baricks we have in Iraq and see if it helps save lives?? Just want to help.

Believe me, I am all for saving lives but you can't just do a complete brush over like you saw with that cinder block. The reason that block survived the fall was the ENTIRE surface was covered so it bonded and structurelly reinforced the block. You can't do that with vehicles with several faces that don't connect. That is why it works on truck beds and fiber glass hulls, they are continious surfaces. So I'm afraid spraying down HUMVs won't accomplish anything and will waste billions that could be spent on body armour.

I saw the same news footage as you did and it specifically said "unfortunetaly it does not bombproof buildings..." The military does use Line-X on buildings that are in danger of being in a blast radius like embassies. It is also being applied to barracks and buildings in the Green Zone of Baghdad that are in high danger of mortar attack.

I understand your frustration sweety... I'm a Naval Aviator so I can relate to both of your sons occupations. My point to you is don't beleive everything you see. Just because it keeps a wall from shattering doesn't mean it can be applied to vehicles. The professionals know what their doing... let them do their job.

God Bless