This is unbelievable and preposterous. Fact check required, please.

Eeshaan

This is unbelievable and preposterous.

U.S. Soldiers Urged Not to Shoot Taliban at Night so Locals Can Sleep

"Please don't shoot at Taliban at night so that the locals can sleep peacefully "

Someone please tell me that this is just BS.

Damn, if THESE are some of the new ROEs that the brave soldiers out there have to follow, then things are gonna go south real fast. How on earth do you expect to accomplish anything with rules like this ?

This is just plain old appeasement.

Last edited:

My2Cents

Sounds like someone lower on the chain of command interpreted a suggestion from higher up a little too rigorously. Isn’t as uncommon as they like to pretend that it is, just got more press this time than most.

Eeshaan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like someone lower on the chain of command interpreted a suggestion from higher up a little too rigorously. Isn’t as uncommon as they like to pretend that it is, just got more press this time than most.
Well there are rumors, if you check other news sites, that the new ROEs given to Special Forces is doing them more harm than good. You can also read "No Easy Day" for that.

A sad state of affairs tbh. It's getting even more complicated every day.

My2Cents

Well there are rumors, if you check other news sites, that the new ROEs given to Special Forces is doing them more harm than good. You can also read "No Easy Day" for that.

A sad state of affairs tbh. It's getting even more complicated every day.
You might want to read
Revelations on the Killing of Osama bin Laden | Small Wars Journal,

No, Really: Is the US Military Cut Out For Courageous Restraint | Small Wars Journal,
and
Modern War, Modern Law, and Army Doctrine: Are We in Step for the 21st Century? | PARAMETERS, US Army War College Quarterly - Spring 2002

Raven22

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Understanding the difference between ROEs and guidelines might help as well. The ROEs haven't changed.