Tonga and Fiji Dispute

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
The simmering up of tensions between the two South Pacific nations has been emerging for some time, but now seems over the last month to worsen. Below is a link to the latest news on the subject and also an earlier article from Micheal Field who is an experienced Pacific Affairs correspondent (banned by the Fijian incidently).

From stuff:
Warships square off in Pacific feud - national | Stuff.co.nz

Have to say though "warships" is a bit of a stretch by the media but still it does not portend to anything good.

Michael Field's earlier report:
Border dispute between Fiji and Tonga

I personally have a gloomy outlook on the direction which events might take over the medium term.

T.C.P

Their entire combined military compromises of 4000 men(mostly infantry) Fiji has no air force and Tonga has two beech craft for surveillance and their combined naval force amounts to five forum class patrol boats.
I am not sure if a war will break out between them, the most they can do is send their forums out there with their 12.7mm machine guns to fire a couple of rounds at each other.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Their entire combined military compromises of 4000 men(mostly infantry) Fiji has no air force and Tonga has two beech craft for surveillance and their combined naval force amounts to five forum class patrol boats.
I am not sure if a war will break out between them, the most they can do is send their forums out there with their 12.7mm machine guns to fire a couple of rounds at each other.
The regional security risk is not war in a conventional sense - it is in this case the internal instability of both nations, which could lead to civil war scenario's breaking out. There is history there on both sides and also within the region - think RAMSI in 2003. Fijian internal instability for example would involve a considerable effort from the international community, particularly from Australia and NZ, to stabilize the country if it got to that.

tongan_yam

Pacific Forum Boats

@T.C.P da Devil - clarification Tonga has three Forum Boats to Fiji's two.

The current King of Tonga is Sandhurst trained so would be right in his element. I expect him to push this as far as possible Mr C.

Historically the Tongan King ruled both Fiji and Samoa, so your're correct that their is a rich history of civil war. The difference this time is they won't be eating each other:rotfl

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone who knows about working with Fijians and Tongans know you don't even have them in the same room.

While the Military forces of each precludes an all out conventional war, there is a lot the two can do to piss each other off and feed the instabilities in their own societies. While they have small official miltaries, they have populations of males that would easily pick up a rifle if it was avalible.

Sort of place if international police or peace keepers get sent into they will be hamstrung by operational requirements.

recce.k1

Well I guess from recent incidents at Minerva Reef (Fiji navy shooting up the maritime beacon and recently Tongan navy reinstalling the beacon) could be a flash point.

I'd hate to hear a future news report that the two Navies open fire upon each other at the reef - even with the 20mm or 0.5 cals they will inflict damage and casualties on each other's vessels and crew.

I guess knowing whether the two navies are carrying live ammo & loaded would be a concern for the AU & NZ govs.

The last thing Fiji and Tonga want to do is scare off tourists (and investors etc) from what is usually a benign and safe place to visit. It will hurt their economies.

(Final thought, whilst Fiji Gov is pretty angry with Tonga due to the defection there of one of its senior officers, I'd hate to think Tonga knowing it has Au/NZ support decides to up the ante. I guess the foreign affairs staff in Aus/NZ are trying to calm their Tongan counterparts down - I do hope)!

Kirkzzy

(Final thought, whilst Fiji Gov is pretty angry with Tonga due to the defection there of one of its senior officers, I'd hate to think Tonga knowing it has Au/NZ support decides to up the ante. I guess the foreign affairs staff in Aus/NZ are trying to calm their Tongan counterparts down - I do hope)!
Relating to Aus/NZ I love this part.

Fiji has not admitted to a navy retreat, but the government issued a press statement claiming the Minerva Reef showdown was part of a plot by Australia, supported by New Zealand Foreign Minister Murray McCully, to "subvert the path towards the holding of truly democratic elections in Fiji". Last night McCully told the Sunday Star-Times the Fiji statement was probably from some "even looser cannon" than usual in the regime.
lolololol silly dictatorships.

recce.k1

lolololol silly dictatorships.
Mind you, both countries don't practice democracy as "we" know it!

Michael Field's earlier reports mentions "fierce but covert interest in undersea minerals and spiking copper prices" minerals may be the cause of the tensions.
Minerals behind Tonga, Fiji border spat? | Stuff.co.nz

It seems that "Korean, Chinese and Australian interests are seeking prospecting rights in the area".
Fiji, Tonga war over Minerva Reef | Stuff.co.nz

So whether "other" interests are putting pressure on one or both of the two respective Fiji & Tongan Govt's to exploit the minerals - if that, I guess will come out in the wash.

Although if this is this case best to clarify ownership through the international frameworks in place, rather than resort to armed confrontation (who could do business with bullets flying anyway)?

Seems like Fiji is wishing to do so according to a report today (although what's the motivation)?
Fiji offers talks on ownership of Minerva Reefs | Stuff.co.nz

Perhaps the motivation is that it appears Tonga seems to be asserting itself. "Tonga’s re-erection of navigational beacons on the Minerva Reefs is a way of stating its claim over the disputed area" according to an Australian Dean of Law.
http://www.rnzi.com/pages/news.php?op=read&id=61173

Although "New Zealand has never formally recognised Tonga's claim" according to the first link above, so will be interesting how negotiations pan out if they get started.

I do note from web searches that this area has been a point of tension between Fiji and Tonga over many years (did find some much earlier reports too), so let's hope both nations are serious about resolving it. Perhaps they both need to look at some arrangment to share etc?