Straits of Gibraltar

Pendekar

Currently, there's rumors flying around that Turkey may have effected a blockade in Dardanelles against Russian shipping. If this really happen, is it possible for Spain, UK and Morocco to initiate the same blockade in the Straits of Gibraltar without formal declaration of war?

GermanHerman

Currently, there's rumors flying around that Turkey may have effected a blockade in Dardanelles against Russian shipping. If this really happen, is it possible for Spain, UK and Morocco to initiate the same blockade in the Straits of Gibraltar without formal declaration of war?
A quick look at AIS shows me that there are some russian ship's crossing the strait of the Dardanelles at the moment.

Do you have any sources on that claims which might shine some light on the topic?

In regards to your question: Yes ist would be possible but propably not legal. But look at the coalition air strikes in Syria, the US have been conducting illegal air strikes when it comes to international law for what, four years now?

In reality there are barely any wars declared any more and no one realy cares for international laws untill it gets in handy to smear the reputation of another country.

Toblerone

Banned Member
They turks just made wasted some hours and made some russian sailors life a little harder that day.

They cannot close the straits, it is an act of great aggression/escalation. Same with Gibraltar.

swerve

Super Moderator
They can close the straits briefly to everyone (e.g. if they're dealing with an accident), to warships in time of war, & to merchant ships of anyone who's at war with Turkey.

What's going on in Syria doesn't qualify as 'in time of war' unless Turkey joins in fully.

Pendekar

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A quick look at AIS shows me that there are some russian ship's crossing the strait of the Dardanelles at the moment.

Do you have any sources on that claims which might shine some light on the topic?

In regards to your question: Yes ist would be possible but propably not legal. But look at the coalition air strikes in Syria, the US have been conducting illegal air strikes when it comes to international law for what, four years now?

In reality there are barely any wars declared any more and no one realy cares for international laws untill it gets in handy to smear the reputation of another country.
Like i said, it's a rumor. but it got me thinking about NATO capability to close down Mediterranean to a Russian ships if they really want to. It may not be a full fledge blockade. Just closing of the straits for few hours or few days under the guise of "accidents" or something like that, but done it on regular basis.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Like i said, it's a rumor. but it got me thinking about NATO capability to close down Mediterranean to a Russian ships if they really want to. It may not be a full fledge blockade. Just closing of the straits for few hours or few days under the guise of "accidents" or something like that, but done it on regular basis.
What goes around comes around. The Russians and Iranians could plan some accidents for the Strait of Hormuz for a few hours or days (Chinese tankers exempt of course). Not a good idea.