sri-lanka a strong military?

long live usa

i know that there forces have been trained in australia,UK,south africa,isreal,and America,i think that if india and sri lanka started fighting(unlikely do to indo-sri-lanka peace accords)india would control the sea's i dont think sri-lanka has much of a navy but india would get a big bruise from an invasion from sri-lanka's 152,000 troops,but do you guys know anything more about sri-lanka's military?:srilanka (wow big inventory on the flags)

Liquid

It seems that in an event of a war, the InAF would also dominate the skies. If I remember correctly, the bulk of Sri Lanka's air force is composed of Kfirs and F-7's.

aaaditya

long live usa said:
i know that there forces have been trained in australia,UK,south africa,isreal,and America,i think that if india and sri lanka started fighting(unlikely do to indo-sri-lanka peace accords)india would control the sea's i dont think sri-lanka has much of a navy but india would get a big bruise from an invasion from sri-lanka's 152,000 troops,but do you guys know anything more about sri-lanka's military?:srilanka (wow big inventory on the flags)
you have forgotten that sri lankan army was also trained by india .
sri lankans troops are mainly trained in counter insurgency warfare at the counter insurgency warfare school wairangte,and the officers training academy,their current army chief had undergone training in these institutions.

Big-E

Banned Member
The IN and IAF would dominate their enivornment no question, but the Sri Lankans would be forced into a guerilla warfare much like the Vietnamese turned to. It would be a costly war in lives, the only difference would be that India would cut them off from all resupply and would evently defeat them by attrition.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
long live usa said:
India will only get a small scratch from Sri Lankan army not a bruise. It is highly unlikely that Sri Lanka will launch any direct attack on India. However, it can serve as proxy state to some of the main anti-Indian states in the region. However, rather than one of them approaching Sri Lanka, it has rather been vice versa. Have look:

Lanka sent Pak its arms wishlist

Pranab Dhal Samanta
Posted online: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 0000 hrs IST

NEW DELHI, MAY 2

While India grapples with limited options to somehow save the ceasefire agreement in Sri Lanka, a desperate Colombo is gradually looking away, and has approached Pakistan for defence supplies after India dragged its feet for reasons rooted in domestic Tamil politics.

While Sri Lanka sought to downplay the issue when its President Mahinda Rajapakse was in Islamabad last month, the fact is that Sri Lanka has given Pakistan a long shopping list which clearly shows the effort is to give teeth to its Air Force. It has even asked for satellite images and two UAVs.

On March 1, Sri Lankan Chief of Defence Staff D W K Sandagiri wrote to the Pakistan High Commissioner in Colombo requesting him to urgently send a technical team to Colombo for immediate survey of T-55 tanks and C-130 Hercules transport aircraft. Sri Lanka has been in desperate need of spares for these tanks and aircraft.

According to reliable information, a Pakistani delegation had visited Colombo in February and even made an offer to supply 100mm T-55 tank ammunition free of charge. Sanadagiri had urged Sri Lankan Defence Secretary G Rajapakse—President Rajapakse’s brother—to take up the offer as a “matter of priority”.

Sri Lanka was wary because LTTE had been approaching its sympathisers asking for one-time donations, taking the plea that this was the last time they would be approached as the Tigers were going in for the final push. Even India was aware of these intelligence reports and so, it was not all that surprising when the LTTE started playing up. It was in this backdrop that Colombo wanted a quick conclusion of the comprehensive defence cooperation agreement with India. However, this failed to materialise when Rajapakse visited India in January which is, perhaps, the time Colombo decided to turn to Pakistan.

Lanka’s list as India drags feet

AIR FORCE
Two UAVs
Cluster and fuel air bombs for Kfirs (50 each)
20 laser/precision guided bomb kits
30 deep penetration bombs
500 80mm rockets with fuel air explosive warhead

ARMY
10 Bakhtar Shiken anti-tank guided missile launcher
300 Tandem warhead missiles
1000 radio sets

NAVY
5000 mortar bombs
250 night vision goggles

Source: The Indian Express
Link: http://www.indianexpress.com/printerFriendly/3678.html