Special Op's team make-up

JAZ

Hi all - love the forum! A Great Find.

i have a really basic question: what is the typical organisational structure of a small special ops team, say, six-man SAS recon?

dragonfire

Hi all - love the forum! A Great Find.

i have a really basic question: what is the typical organisational structure of a small special ops team, say, six-man SAS recon?
This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it is relevant so i thought i will copy a post of ricksavage from last year
This is more on the lines of a CT team

Unit size: 150 max (operational staff plus support)

HQ Section (OC, 2IC, Operational Int Cell, logistics and admin support)
Training Wing (drafted Black Cats with international exposure to current best practice), and a
Operational Wing, comprising:

2 x land assault teams based on 16 x men per team (broken down into four sub-units) Each Team would alternate on reserve allowing for 24-7 coverage.
The 4 x man-sub teams broken down according specialization (M-MOE, Medic, Climbing Cadre and Explosive Entry)

2 x Sniper Teams based on 10 men, 4 x sniper pairs plus sniper leader and 2iC. Each 10 man team would again rotate on reserve, thus in the event of a call-out you would be able to deploy a minimum of 16 x assault & 10 x snipers under the command of selected HQ personnel. 4 x sniper pairs means you will be able to deploy one pair for each face of a target building.

Should the emergency require additional resources, the team not on reserve will be stood up.

Weapons & Equipment:

M-MOE: Quickie saws, battering rams, kerry-cutting cable, hydromatic-cutting jaws, hatton rounds etc, etc..
Medic: Standard trauma pack as issued to US SF Medics
Climbing Cadre: Trained to be lead climbers (equipment: caving ladders, swarm ropes, lift-shaft climbing equip, absailing equip etc. etc.)
Explosive Entry: (Hydro-cut, basic frame charges and door charges, non-explosive entry equipment - Harvey Wallbanger)

Assault: usual array of weapons, grenades & protective armour (minimum B7) M4's, SSG550's 5.56mm (9mm side arm only), stun and flasbang grenades
Sniper: AI, PSG1, SSG3000 plus irritant projectile capability: RIP round, 40mm CS or similar.

Communications: Good quality secure comms plus supporting mobile repeater stations

Covert Deployment vehicles: allowing for the deployment of team and equipment to holding area without drawing attention to oneself.
4x4 vehicles: reinforced, fitted with suitable roof racks allowing for a shit or bust vehicle response option using ladders.

Training facilities:

Basic tire house CQB, or even better purpose built training centre allowing for both 5.56mm and 9mm live firing in an environment, which allows the room layouts to be changed.
At least one 100-metre outdoor range and 25-metre indoor range to allow for at least two full days per week range time for the operational teams

JAZ

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it is relevant so i thought i will copy a post of ricksavage from last year
This is more on the lines of a CT team
Hey thanks for that. Great info. any idea of the rank make-up of the smaller 4-man units? i'm thinking in lines of recon teams. are all the operators seargents? who leads (rank) such a small team?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the USMC a fire team leader (4 man) would be a Corporal, and a squad leader a Sergeant.

saracen

Hey thanks for that. Great info. any idea of the rank make-up of the smaller 4-man units? i'm thinking in lines of recon teams. are all the operators seargents? who leads (rank) such a small team?
a normal British Infantry section section cmdr is a full screw and 2ic is a lance jack .
however if some one of any rank is missing eg full screw , lance jack will cmd and senior private /trooper will take on roll of 2ic . if no junior nco's available a Sgt could comand or it could be just troopers ..... horses for courses iam afraid ! with what rank is available

not eveyone whos is a good soldier wants to do promotional courses there are a lot more exciting courses out there ! and loads of Op's
and UKSF trroper gets paid the same rate as an INF Sgt