South Korea aiming for more exports

drg

Here: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/Engnews/20070214/610000000020070214155907E3.html
Basically says that they are going to rely on export of T-50, KT-1 and K-9, to boost exports 34 per cent.
It's intersting as I just read an article (can't remember where...) on IDEX 2007, that mentioned two South Korean companiespresent at the show: Dodaam Systems and Doosnan Infracore, the first selling remote-controlled weapons systems and the latter AAA.
Does anyone know where else the K-9 would be sold, I personally know its in the running for Australia's Land 17 SPA competition.
The KT-1 was bought by Indonesia a while ago from what I recall...and was being considered by Turkey.
Isn't KT-1 export name for T-50?!?

Stimpy75

the KT-1 is the turboprob trainer,very similar in appearance to the Tucano Trainer from Embraer and both are in final competition for the basic trainer requirement for the Turkish Air force.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Here: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/Engnews/20070214/610000000020070214155907E3.html
Basically says that they are going to rely on export of T-50, KT-1 and K-9, to boost exports 34 per cent.
It's intersting as I just read an article (can't remember where...) on IDEX 2007, that mentioned two South Korean companiespresent at the show: Dodaam Systems and Doosnan Infracore, the first selling remote-controlled weapons systems and the latter AAA.
Does anyone know where else the K-9 would be sold, I personally know its in the running for Australia's Land 17 SPA competition.
The KT-1 was bought by Indonesia a while ago from what I recall...and was being considered by Turkey.
Isn't KT-1 export name for T-50?!?
Turkey is purchasing the K-9 and it is being evaluated with Kuwait. It would be nice to see the K1A1 compete out there on the market, it`s a darn good tank, the scuttle butt is that maybe Thailand will do some shopping for a more modernized MBT and the K1A1 would be a perfect match due to the terrian.

contedicavour

Korea is also exporting some ships (such as the FFG sold to Bangladesh) and could export locally made Type 209s. They can already modernize 209s locally (as they just did with the 2 Indonesian ones) and build locally 209s and 214s. Last but not least, they are selling LSTs (such as those sold to Venezuela some years ago)

cheers

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I doubt that exporting 209s is part of the license they got by HDW.

Would be really stupid bby HDW wouldn't it?

contedicavour

I doubt that exporting 209s is part of the license they got by HDW.

Would be really stupid bby HDW wouldn't it?
It wouldn't be the first time Korean shipbuilders stretched contracts a bit... I remember when they negotiated the rights to the Gaeta class minehunters and when the negotiation foundered they just plain copied the Italian ship.

Besides, for HDW, protecting the U214 and its sophisticated AIP is key. Protecting an old design such as 209 while Korea could built at low cost an evolution of it and pay back rights to HDW... might not make much sense.

cheers

Falstaff

Found this one on in the news last week: http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cg...120477.ZVxD438AAAEAADIrVFcAAAAA&modele=jdc_34

Edited: Remark: Sorry, didn't see this news report is already posted in the South Korea unveils amphibious tank thread. But still, I think it is related to exports as well.

Korea Unveils Amphibious Tank

(Source: Korea Overseas Information Service; issued Mar. 2, 2007)

Three Korean XK-2 tanks from the first production batch roll off the production line. (KOIS photo)
Korea's first domestically-made amphibious tank, featuring an auto-loaded 120mm cannon, rolled off the assembly line in Changwon, Friday (March 2).

The next-generation tank, code named "XK2" and nicknamed "Black Panther," will replace the older K1 and American M47/48 tanks starting in 2011, defense officials said.

The new model features an auto-loaded 120 mm cannon, can reach speeds of up to 70 km per hour, and can cross rivers as deep as 4.1 meters using a snorkel, according to its developer, the Agency for Defense Development (ADD).

At the launch ceremony for the tank, President Roh Moo-hyun stressed that Korea's development of a top-tier weapon such as the XK2 with its own technology testifies to the country's defense capability.

"The development of the world's top-level tank--in both mobility and firepower--with our own technology shows the world our commitment to self-defense," Roh said during the ceremony held at the ADD facilities in Changwon, Gyeongsang nam-do (South Gyeongsang Province).

Korea plans to commission the tank after preparations for mass production.

It also aims to export the tanks with the price tag of US$8.5 million per unit, with an adjustment for inflation.

-ends-
Sexy machine. And they are aiming to export is. I wonder if the 8,5 million price tag isn't a bit too high for the export market?

Last edited:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
This is a good question.

Is it worth more than a million than for example a Leopard IIE which comes for 7.5 million as long as I know.

And are the Koreans going to let the potential customer produce it in license.

The MBT market is very hard with all the second hand Leo IIA4 and even Leo IIA6 floating around.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
This is a good question.

Is it worth more than a million than for example a Leopard IIE which comes for 7.5 million as long as I know.

And are the Koreans going to let the potential customer produce it in license.

The MBT market is very hard with all the second hand Leo IIA4 and even Leo IIA6 floating around.
The kicker is that this tank does use alot of technology from other tank manufactures, and you are correct about the potential of selling large volumes of them, the market is very strong these days with excellant MBT`s, and they will have their hands full exporting them.

aaaditya

hey guys,interesting news here,it seems that india and south korea are discussing the sale of weapons systems to india and joint defence reserch and development,india is particularly interested in acquiring 5000 ton frigates, k-9 155mm self propelled guns, armoured vehicles, and mine counter measure vessels,earlier indian coast guard had acquired vessels based on the south korean designs.

here check out this link and article:

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200703/kt2007031918283811960.htm

Senior defense officials from South Korea and India on Monday opened their first-ever talks on cooperation in weapons sales, the Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) said Monday.
The meeting is a follow-up to a memorandum of understanding on defense acquisition cooperation signed in September 2005, the office said in a statement.
Lee Sun-hi, commissioner of the DAPA, represented South Korea at the five-day meeting, while K. P. Singh, India's secretary for defense production, led the Indian delegation, it said in a statement.
``The two sides will discuss ways to cooperate on the development and export of 5,000-ton frigates, armored vehicles, military trucks, K-9 howitzers and so on,'' a DAPA spokesman said, on the condition of anonymity.
The two countries will also address issues regarding cooperation on procurement systems and defense technology, he said.
``Korea-India cooperation will bring a synergy effect because Seoul sees India as a strong trading partner for arms sales, given the country's ongoing arms race with the United States and China, while New Delhi has a keen interest in our country's high-end defense technologies such as shipbuilding, the spokesman added.
Currently, South Korea and India are conducting joint research on K-9 self-propelled artillery and mine countermeasure vessels. Seoul holds arms sales meetings with a total of 24 countries around the world annually.
Later in the day, the Indian delegates paid a courtesy call to Defense Minister Kim Jang-soo at the ministry in Seoul.
The Indian officials are scheduled to visit the state-run Agency for Defense Development in Taejon and other defense firms before leaving Seoul on Friday, DAPA officials said.