Some Q's on Joining Aus Military

Brycec

Alright, prepare for a few questions.:)
First off, I'm 16 and a half years old, go to a great private school in melbourne, do Cadets and have a lot of friends/family in the Military. There is no doubt in my mind that the Military is the place for me.
First question.
If I join the military as a rifleman, then want to switch out to another job in the military before I've served the minimum time, is this possible? For instance, can I switch to become a helicopter pilot? Or switch to Navy from Army?

Right now I can easily complete the general entry military fitness tests. However if I can get my fitness standards up to Commando levels, should I go for it? Is the entry level the bare minimum a Commando is expected to complete? Or if I can get 10 on the beep test, 60 push-ups and 100 situps will I be OK and able to survive the commandos?

Now this next one is a big choice for me, like I said, I go to a great school and am getting a great education. However, is there any point in me completing year 12? Is it more beneficial to stick out school for one more year and join after that? Because I'm impatient and am really getting fed up with school. I'd love to get right into the military as fast as I can, but I'd love the advise of some professional soldiers out there.

Ok, thank you in advance. Some of these questions might sound stupid to some of you guys, so sorry for that.

Ozzy Blizzard

Your yr 11 this year right? Mate finish school. If the military falls through you'll have nothing to fall back on without your VCE. Yr 12 isn't that bad. I had heaps of fun.

Also your VCE will probably serve you while your in the military, especially if you want to change jobs. I mean unless you wanna be a grunt forever, yr 12 couldn't hurt.

I think the special forces direct entry scheme is being phased out so it might be gone by the time you get there.

Which school? Im a melbourne private schoolboy myself (ashamedly), been out a few years though.:D

enghave

go to a great private school in melbourne, do Cadets and have a lot of friends/family in the Military.
1. Doing cadets: very good.
2. Having military friends/family to give you an understanding of military life: excellent.
3. Saying you go to a "great private school": err, not good, sounds arrogant/snobbish. Where you go to school isn't your choice, so it's not relevant, just get the highest marks you can so you have the widest range of choices. You might get injured/sick and never be able to serve, you'll need a back up career in case the army doesn't happen, make the most of a top-quality education.

If I join the military as a rifleman, then want to switch out to another job in the military before I've served the minimum time, is this possible?
Yes, this is the difference between your Return of Service Obligation (ROSO) and Initial Minimum Period of Service (IMPS). Your ROSO is the minimum length of time you have to be in the job you're trained to do (e.g. 2 years), the IMPS is the minimum length of time you have to do in the army (e.g. 4 years). So after your 2 years as a rifleman is up, you can apply to be something else.

For instance, can I switch to become a helicopter pilot? Or switch to Navy from Army?
It's pretty tough, and takes a long time, to go from rifleman to helicopter pilot. That's a very hard way to do it. The Blackhawk which crashed off Fiji trying to land on HMAS Manoora was piloted by a guy who used to be a rifleman, Mark Bingley.

If your heart is set on becoming a pilot, you should devote all your effort to this, as it is extremely competitive, and you should get some time on gliders and fixed-wing aircraft first (you learn fixed wing, then convert to helicopters afterwards). Recruiting gets thousands of young men applying to be pilots, you need to show them you really, really, want it, and have got what it takes. And even then you might not get in for all sorts of reasons, some trivial. Or the process of reapplying might wear you down.

Have a look at the military aircrew forum on Professional Pilots Rumor Network if you'd like to know more.

Right now I can easily complete the general entry military fitness tests. However if I can get my fitness standards up to Commando levels, should I go for it? Is the entry level the bare minimum a Commando is expected to complete? Or if I can get 10 on the beep test, 60 push-ups and 100 situps will I be OK and able to survive the commandos?
Those scores are the minimum for commando. But you shouldn't be pushing your body too hard at 16, you risk doing long-term harm to your body. Besides, do you want to be a commando or a pilot? The jobs are very, very different.

However, is there any point in me completing year 12?
Of course you should complete year 12, especially since your school is so good. Many a dropout has regretted not completing their course (except Bill Gates). I don't think you'd enjoy going back to do it in your early 20s.

Is it more beneficial to stick out school for one more year and join after that? Because I'm impatient and am really getting fed up with school. I'd love to get right into the military as fast as I can, but I'd love the advise of some professional soldiers out there.
Go to the Australian Military Community website, then to the New Recruit Questions forum, then read the thread "For the Boys who want to leave school", which has heaps of advice from serving and ex-soldiers.

Brycec

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As am I.

Bryce-

The only APS school I know that still has cadets is Scotch...?
hahah, yeah, thats crazy that you'd know that... Kinda scary too.

1. Doing cadets: very good.
2. Having military friends/family to give you an understanding of military life: excellent.
3. Saying you go to a "great private school": err, not good, sounds arrogant/snobbish. Where you go to school isn't your choice, so it's not relevant, just get the highest marks you can so you have the widest range of choices. You might get injured/sick and never be able to serve, you'll need a back up career in case the army doesn't happen, make the most of a top-quality education.

Yes, this is the difference between your Return of Service Obligation (ROSO) and Initial Minimum Period of Service (IMPS). Your ROSO is the minimum length of time you have to be in the job you're trained to do (e.g. 2 years), the IMPS is the minimum length of time you have to do in the army (e.g. 4 years). So after your 2 years as a rifleman is up, you can apply to be something else.

It's pretty tough, and takes a long time, to go from rifleman to helicopter pilot. That's a very hard way to do it. The Blackhawk which crashed off Fiji trying to land on HMAS Manoora was piloted by a guy who used to be a rifleman, Mark Bingley.

If your heart is set on becoming a pilot, you should devote all your effort to this, as it is extremely competitive, and you should get some time on gliders and fixed-wing aircraft first (you learn fixed wing, then convert to helicopters afterwards). Recruiting gets thousands of young men applying to be pilots, you need to show them you really, really, want it, and have got what it takes. And even then you might not get in for all sorts of reasons, some trivial. Or the process of reapplying might wear you down.

Have a look at the military aircrew forum on Professional Pilots Rumor Network if you'd like to know more.

Those scores are the minimum for commando. But you shouldn't be pushing your body too hard at 16, you risk doing long-term harm to your body. Besides, do you want to be a commando or a pilot? The jobs are very, very different.

Of course you should complete year 12, especially since your school is so good. Many a dropout has regretted not completing their course (except Bill Gates). I don't think you'd enjoy going back to do it in your early 20s.

Go to the Australian Military Community website, then to the New Recruit Questions forum, then read the thread "For the Boys who want to leave school", which has heaps of advice from serving and ex-soldiers.
Alright, great post, packed with info. just FYI I was using Helicopter pilot as an example, I wouldn't want to switch out to that career really.
As for school, I think you guys (along with the other website you linked) have sealed my mind and I think I'll have to finish school- somewhat reluctantly.

However, what's the deal with switching from a reservist to a full time rifleman? I'm sure being a reservist rifleman is still a valid option for a year 12 student.

enghave

just FYI I was using Helicopter pilot as an example, I wouldn't want to switch out to that career really.
OK, but it's good you're thinking about what you could do after being a rifleman, 'cause you'll probably want out at some stage.

Some rifleman get training they can use in civilian life (e.g. mechanical/electrical) or if they show leadership/management potential, go for officer (and then do paperwork).

Although you'll get a strong work ethic, a sense of personal confidence and national pride, and a disciplined mentality, there are many jobs in the defence force which leave you with no vocational skills upon exiting (e.g. a RAAF navigator can't be a pilot, an army medic can't be ambulance officer without training, a RAN submariner doesn't really have a civilian equivalent). Pilots, engineers, doctors, nurses and mechanical/electrical technicians can walk into civilian jobs, for the rest it's not so easy.

A

Aussie Digger

Alright, prepare for a few questions.:)
First off, I'm 16 and a half years old, go to a great private school in melbourne, do Cadets and have a lot of friends/family in the Military. There is no doubt in my mind that the Military is the place for me.
First question.
If I join the military as a rifleman, then want to switch out to another job in the military before I've served the minimum time, is this possible? For instance, can I switch to become a helicopter pilot? Or switch to Navy from Army?

Now this next one is a big choice for me, like I said, I go to a great school and am getting a great education. However, is there any point in me completing year 12? Is it more beneficial to stick out school for one more year and join after that? Because I'm impatient and am really getting fed up with school. I'd love to get right into the military as fast as I can, but I'd love the advise of some professional soldiers out there.

Ok, thank you in advance. Some of these questions might sound stupid to some of you guys, so sorry for that.
Finish Yr 12 mate. Join the military as a digger afer that and join up as a rifleman. Do 2 or so years in a battalion and then worry about Commando's after you've got some solid infantry experience under your belt.

The chances of you joining Commando's straight out of high school are nil for all intents and purposes. The basic requirements for SFET (special forces entry test) are the mere BEGINNING of a very long, tough curve.

You'd be much better prepared by being a solid, trained infanteer, before trying.

You could try the direct entry scheme (if it still exists by then) but I VERY much doubt you'll get through. It is certainly no easier than the "traditional way" and if you fail you'll still have a ROSO (return of service obligation) to complete anyway.

Alternatively join up as an armoured crewman, and providing you are posted to 2nd Cavalry Regt or 2/14 LHR and you'll be trained as a recon scout (Vegie) as well, which is the next best thing to a proper infantry background, but you'll have a slightly more comfortable Army life than that of a grunt...

geraint

australian army

hi im currently serving in the british army im a sgt and trained in mortars i would like to join the australian army in the future does anyone know how to go about this if so could you pass on that info thanx:)

A

Aussie Digger

hi im currently serving in the british army im a sgt and trained in mortars i would like to join the australian army in the future does anyone know how to go about this if so could you pass on that info thanx:)
Not sure about the immigration issues but that information shouldd be available through: www.defencejobs.gov.au

Alternatively they should at least provide contact details for someone who can direct you along the right path...

Edit: Having just check the site out myself there is information on the front page for "overseas candidates" and it seems there are opportunities for NCO's to do "lateral transfers" into the Australian Army...

Cheers

AD

sparta

don't join up as soon as ur 18 sure join reserves or something but honestly 2 things u should do before joining 1get a trade(IT,Business,trade etc)2buy insurance thats has a war clause.

sparta

see the australian consulate, when i was in we had a few poms in good blokes or call the army recriuting directly. cheers good luck cobber
if you have any probs just PM me