Ripper Chaingun Cannon

Canashea

I think it would be a good idea to build a 'Ripper Chaingun Cannon' becouse there are no external moving parts like rotating barrels that would get tangled in Bushes/Jungles/Tripwire etc, Would be lighter in weight and have the same Firepower as a Minigun. Its quite similar to the old Nordenfelt

But how would it be fed from a Belt? Thats the only thing im stuck on

The Nordenfelt had a Hopper with multiple slots for the ammo, Thinking about mixing this idea with a Belt Feed system/De Linking Device.

Last edited:
A

Aussie Digger

Nice idea for gaming I suppose, but in reality there's a few practical issues with such a design. How do you carry enough ammo to support it's rate of fire? How do you aim the weapon? Point in the general direction and let rip I suppose. A VERY tactical approach..

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
It's from the video game Doom. I used to play it when I was about 10 and absolutely loved it. However looking back at it today the weapons in game aren't exactly practical. Slicing monsters to pieces with a chainsaw was very entertaining though.

Canashea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have posted this same thread on other forums, You will find better drawings etc.

I have also found a Russian AK thing with 3 BARRELS.

Canashea

Suppose it does but it needs external power and the interference of revolving barrels.

At least with this, It would be lighter in weight, Easier to produce and would also make a great weapon for choppers hummers tanks etc, And would lack the need of external power. It may not fire so fast but still use a lot of rounds.

I was watching this YouTube video about the Spanish MEROKA CIWS, Some scenes of its BELT FEED, Shows it must me possible to belt feed the design i posted.

Admin: Text Deleted. Read the rules before you post to external forums...

Last edited by a moderator:

Big-E

Banned Member
Suppose it does but it needs external power and the interference of revolving barrels.

At least with this, It would be lighter in weight, Easier to produce and would also make a great weapon for choppers hummers tanks etc, And would lack the need of external power. It may not fire so fast but still use a lot of rounds.

I was watching this YouTube video about the Spanish MEROKA CIWS, Some scenes of its BELT FEED, Shows it must me possible to belt feed the design i posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW8ilPgWc7s&mode=related&search=

Here are the other threads i posted:
That Meroka vid was a nice view into the Armada, if you had watched it to it's conclusion you would have realized why your assumptions aren't plausible. The Meroka uses a complex firing pattern that is programmed into it's software to place bursts on target. If you take away that software it becomes a useless inaccurate multi-barrell monstrousity. Your attempt to make the argument of having a mutli-barrelled gun without a powerpack is strictly a novelty. If it doesn't have an electric feed system the ammo must be stored in seperate magazines or feeders for each barrel. This is not something you are going to carry on anything smaller than a frigate. This design is bulky unlike the Gatlin gun which can be made into a compact form like the mini-gun.

You seriously need to read the rules before you post to external forums...

Canashea

This is what i drew the other night

Just drew this one for fun, If it was to be used in real life, It will be held like a rifle/GPMG, not be held like a chainsaw as in predator/terminator 2.

Im not trying to design a CIWS system, I wanted to design a multibarrel GPMG for Hummers/Foxholes etc.

Apart from it 'Looking Cool' and 'Intimidating', There is still a point of the barrels, It would reduce barrel heat and erosion while still firing multiple rounds at a standard rate of fire(Around 1,500-2,000RPM?).

When one barrel reloads, the others fire increasing the ROF.

The easiest way of making a Meroka Machine Gun is adding separate GPMG's on a special mount, I didnt like the idea of feeding it with separate belts/magazines so i wanted to invent the same type of thing but as one gun.

No probs with the firing mechanisim much but just working on its belt feed.

It will be using Roller-Locking Blowback as found on CETME/H&K Rifles.

Anyway, The easiest form of Meroka Machine Gun i have came across was the German Gast Gun, I also drew my own SAW version of it, I will also post it later on the Gast Gun Thread.

SuperSLime

I think it would be a good idea to build a 'Ripper Chaingun Cannon' becouse there are no external moving parts like rotating barrels that would get tangled in Bushes/Jungles/Tripwire etc
Having spoken to minigun users, I conclude that where they're used (inside helicopters, on AAA mounts, on board AC130s etc) there is no risk of getting the barrels, er, tangled in tripwires or bushes.

Its quite similar to the old Nordenfelt
No it isn't.

The Nordenfelt had a Hopper with multiple slots for the ammo
The Nordenfeldt also had a big handle on the side that the gunner had to turn to make it work. Should we bring that back too?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Nordenfeldt also had a big handle on the side that the gunner had to turn to make it work. Should we bring that back too?
I'd be all for that. Would bring the fun back into MG shooting.

You can emulate that on a MG42/MG3 btw, by dropping rounds from the belt (and then recocking after each burst/"salvo") - though that'll be very likely to destroy the feeder in short order *cough*.

Anyway, The easiest form of Meroka Machine Gun i have came across was the German Gast Gun
You do realize that Meroka-type salvo guns do not use the Gast principle (which is not two complete guns stacked together)?

And, btw, the Meroka doesn't use separate belts for each of its guns. Two belt feeds, which are drawn forward through six rounds to all six feeding positions for each salvo. Hence why the Meroka can't fire "full automatic" either btw - it fires all twelve rounds (upper and lower belt), then has to wait about 200 milliseconds until the feeding positions are reloaded to fire the next salvo. The 9000-10,000 rpm sometimes quoted are simply the number of rounds fired for this process repeated for one minute.

There is still a point of the barrels, It would reduce barrel heat and erosion
Actually, it might erode them faster due to being repeatedly heated/cooled/heated/cooled.

SuperSLime

Actually, it might erode them faster due to being repeatedly heated/cooled/heated/cooled.
I don't think the increased pause between rounds would allow much cooling to occur, so that probably wouldn't be a problem. I don't think rotary guns suffer from that, do they?

What would bother me with this idea is the excessive ROF and the extra weight of a second barrel, bolt etc. Even if it was properly designed it just seems like a solution in search of a problem. I'd much rather have a Minimi or MG4 (or even better, an MG3 - I know, ROF is too high, but still...)

SuperSLime

You do realize that Meroka-type salvo guns do not use the Gast principle (which is not two complete guns stacked together)?
He just assumes that any multi-barrel weapon is a variant of the Meroka or Nordenfeldt, depending on what picture he looked at last. He has no understanding of firearms mechanisms. Note the suggestion that a G11-style rotary cocking handle could be used with conventional ammunition.

SuperSLime

You can emulate that on a MG42/MG3 btw, by dropping rounds from the belt (and then recocking after each burst/"salvo") - though that'll be very likely to destroy the feeder in short order *cough*.
I'm guessing that you have served in the Heer. Do you know anything about the MG4? It looks pretty sound, and H&K have a good track record. How does it compare with the Minimi? We use the Minimi Para, but I never get to play with them :-(

SuperSLime

Came 10 years too late for me. Luckily. Although my STAN gun would still be a MG3 today...
You're not a fan of the MG4 then?

I must admit, if the gun (and the 7.62 link) wasn't so bloody heavy I'd prefer a GPMG to the Minimi as well.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I must admit, if the gun (and the 7.62 link) wasn't so bloody heavy I'd prefer a GPMG to the Minimi as well.
Considering i would have a nice, comfy 7-ton truck to mount it on and transport it in, the weight wasn't that much of a problem.

And when dismounted, the weight of the MG3 was only a small part of what i - and the other two guys - would have had to carry.

SuperSLime

Considering i would have a nice, comfy 7-ton truck to mount it on and transport it in, the weight wasn't that much of a problem.

And when dismounted, the weight of the MG3 was only a small part of what i - and the other two guys - would have had to carry.
Ha ha, good point! Trucks do make it easy.

Yes, the weight of the weapon isn't that much compared to all the other kit (why is it that new equipment is always ADDED to the old stuff? It never replaces it! Like, now I have a GPS AND a compass :-S) but a few hundred rounds of 7.62 link can get heavy quite quickly.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Well, NBC Decon Forces...

offhand, for the team back then:

- STAN personnel gear and backpacks : 45 kg
- "sidearms" (3x G3A3, 1x flare pistol) incl ammo: 20 kg
- MG3 with spare parts and 500rds ammo: 20 kg
- PzF3 with two rockets: 22 kg
- radio/various equipment: 20 kg
- Heavy NBC Protection gear: 24 kg
- vests: 30 kg

totals at around 159 kg.

now spread that among 3 people :rolleyes:

(sidenote: OPSEC not violated as above STAN doesn't exist anymore)

SuperSLime

Well, NBC Decon Forces...

offhand, for the team back then:

- STAN personnel gear and backpacks : 45 kg
- "sidearms" (3x G3A3, 1x flare pistol) incl ammo: 20 kg
- MG3 with spare parts and 500rds ammo: 20 kg
- PzF3 with two rockets: 22 kg
- radio/various equipment: 20 kg
- Heavy NBC Protection gear: 24 kg
- vests: 30 kg

totals at around 159 kg.

now spread that among 3 people :rolleyes:

(sidenote: OPSEC not violated as above STAN doesn't exist anymore)
Ouch! That had to hurt.

Was that personal NBC gear or collective decontamination kit? Our decontamination equipment is a plastic bucket and a brush, and some spray sets for vehicles :-S

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Ouch! That had to hurt.

Was that personal NBC gear or collective decontamination kit? Our decontamination equipment is a plastic bucket and a brush, and some spray sets for vehicles :-S
Personal NBC gear. As in rubber suits.

The collective NBC equipment was about 3 tons spread over the truck - for each team in my squad ;)

(... plus 3 tons of water and a couple sacks of chemicals on the truck)