The Priceless Predator

Big-E

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder how long it will be before I'm out of a job? If UAVs get anymore advanced I might just be forced into early retirement.:eek:

DarthAmerica

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Big-E said:
I wonder how long it will be before I'm out of a job? If UAVs get anymore advanced I might just be forced into early retirement.:eek:

Well best estimate are that you will have at approximately 5 to 10 years before a machine intelligence that had the processing power of your brain could be made to work reliably and 20 years before it could be fielded. So you are probably safe from early retirement during the remainder of your career.

long live usa

DarthAmerica said:
Well best estimate are that you will have at approximately 5 to 10 years before a machine intelligence that had the processing power of your brain could be made to work reliably and 20 years before it could be fielded. So you are probably safe from early retirement during the remainder of your career.
i think that the human factor should never be forgotten in the eqation

DarthAmerica

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
long live usa said:
i think that the human factor should never be forgotten in the eqation
Oh I didnt mean to imply that. It wont be at all. Remeber, these machines fight for us. But the machine intelligence wil arrive at levels that meet and soon after exceed unaugmented certain human mental capabilities within 10 years give or take. Soon after that there will be a symbiosis of man and machine intelligence that will dominate.

long live usa

DarthAmerica said:
Oh I didnt mean to imply that. It wont be at all. Remeber, these machines fight for us. But the machine intelligence wil arrive at levels that meet and soon after exceed unaugmented certain human mental capabilities within 10 years give or take. Soon after that there will be a symbiosis of man and machine intelligence that will dominate.
yes UAVs are well fitted for recon,but i think that humans should never be removed from the cockpit

DarthAmerica

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
long live usa said:
yes UAVs are well fitted for recon,but i think that humans should never be removed from the cockpit
Well thats fine and I accept your opinion. But any nations who subscribe to the philosophy of never removing humans from the cockpit will be forever tied to human physiological limitations in regard to capabilities. In future wars such a force tied to human fragilities will likely be destroyed and rather abruptly.

Big-E

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DarthAmerica said:
Well thats fine and I accept your opinion. But any nations who subscribe to the philosophy of never removing humans from the cockpit will be forever tied to human physiological limitations in regard to capabilities. In future wars such a force tied to human fragilities will likely be destroyed and rather abruptly.
Terminator :shudder

DarthAmerica

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Big-E said:
You know its interesting you reference that movie. Strip away the more Hollywood elements of that series and you still have a lot left in that script that is directly related to currently fielded systems and systems in development phases now. Remeber the scene where Gov. Arnold says that all Stealth Bombers become "fully unmanned"? Well thats not too much different from technologies that have been demonstrated already in parts and in whole in some occations. In fact the hardest part of that movie to realise in reality are the time travel issues which are beyond the scope of this thread. Aside from that though all of the automation, robotics, communication, netcentric, material sciences and even DEW technologies are well on track to appear on similar timelines as the movie suggested! When the Kyle Reese character told Sarah Connor that the things she was seeing wouldnt exist for "about 40 years" it was 1985 according to the storyline. That's 2025. If you take a look at what the DoD has planned for that timeframe and technologies that will be readily available by then the Terminator series has a very accurate timeline!

long live usa

Big-E said:
any of you ever seen the film "the animatrix"?it consisted of 9 short films 2 of them were called the second rennisance parts 1 and 2,it goes a little more in depth to that idea than the terminator did and if i say more violent than the film terminator did aswell,in that film the humans based thier structure on machines one machine killed its human master,and a war began the humans became reckless trying everything they could to stop the machines including devastating a machine city with atomic bombs it was not succesful and at the end of the film there is a final battle between the humans and machines,the humans all come together in this last battle all creeds and races and they try to stop the machines including injecting them selves with drugs before the battle they apear to be doing well until the machines start to bring out there"new models"(in the start of the film they looked like humans)and wipe out the human army the humans are enslaved by the machines and used for energy like batteries(because the humans had become so desparate that they"scorched the sky")it took place in a not so far off timeline in wich the UN is involved
not that any of that had ant relevance to the thread i just thought that id bring it up since the terminator was and it was an intresting film

Last edited:

long live usa

damn my last post was double posted so i had to change this one and im tired,it would be intresting to conjure up the ghosts of erich hartmann and ivan kozhedub and here what they have to say about UAVs

Last edited: